Studebaker Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quote:Originally posted by Johnnywiffer

As soon as he got the '51 or '52 home, I removed the dealer name. It was an aluminum plate that fit under the trunk lid handle. Now they're worth a jillion dollars. Oh well...

John
    Whenever I have ordered a new car or bought a used car, I have specified, no dealer ID. I only will have dealer IDs on a car if they are willing to pay for them to advertise their dealership. I did have dealer license plate frames on our PT Cruiser for the first couple of weeks. It was the dealer that I had just stopped working for and we went on a trip right away and the frames indicated where in NY we were from (not NYC area). Some dealerships put their plate frames on cars that they service. I have always checked for this when picking a car up.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

• Ruhnkes's.....Denton Kansas

Brad

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by Swifster

OK, I was done with work early today and decided to do some sleuthing . I went to the Hillsborough County Library today and started searching the phone books for the local areas around me for 1963. Why '63? I figuire when the South Bend assembly plant closed, many dealers abandoned the sinking ship. Anyway, I limited my self to Hillsborough County and neighboring Lakeland. I found four dealerships. They are;

Randall Motor Company, Inc.
        245 N. Tennessee Ave. <--------In 1963 & 1964
        Lakeland, FL 33801
        and
        211 E. Bay St. <--------In 1960
        Lakeland, FL 33801

The ironic part is that I don't know downtown Tampa that well, and I think I drove past the Fellows site on my way back from the library. There is a mixture of old and new so who knows if it's still there.

I believe both buildings used by Randall are still there, but I can't guarantee it. I think these will be road trip material to document what still exists.
        I went to Lakeland today and found both locations for Randall Motor Company, Inc. One had been cleared away some years back for a new covered parking garage. The original location a couple blocks away is there, but not necessarily in it's original configuration. The pictures I took...

245 N. Tennessee, Lakeland, FL - Home of Randall Motor Co in the mid 1960's

The Studebaker Building

211 E. Bay St., Lakeland, FL - Studebaker dealer since the 1920's

Front of the Studebaker Building

Studebaker Building & Parking Lot

Trader Alley Building - Studebaker Repair Building?

Front of Trader Alley Building

Plaque on the Trader Alley Building

Studebaker Building & Trader Alley Building

Another Studebaker Service Building?

This Building is on N. Tennessee Ave Around the Corner From the Studebaker Building (and Two Blocks From N. Tennessee Ave Dealership)

The Lakeland Studebaker Dealership in 1925 (Dealer Name Unknown) 215 E. Bay St., Lakeland, FL (Photo from the Savage Collection - Courtesy of the Lakeland Public Library)

The 'Studebaker Building' has obviously changed since 1925. The outer facing looks like that area may have been the garage area. It's hard to tell by the pictures, but the Trader Alley Building is directly behind the Studebaker Building. The N. Tennessee Ave. location appears to back up against N. Florida Ave., which is the main street running thru downtown Lakeland going north and south. I'm sure there we
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

• I know that this is a huge, but fascinating thread. Just to add to what Bondobilly posted. I've been to the Riverhead, L.I. building which is still there. It's a building with beautiful stonework and it's still intact. The building has been used by various businesses during the past years, but to my knowledge, not for auto sales or service. I sent photos to Dick Quinn, of Turning Wheels, a couple of months ago. I still haven't been able to determine what the name of this dealership was. Still checking though.
          Additionally, F.E.H. Motors was in Hempstead, L.I., Lakeview Motors was in Lakeview, L.I. near Malverne and Lynbrook.
          Lakeview Motors still exists, although not in the same place, as a Mercedes-Benz dealer.
          I have a plaque from Studebaker recognizing their 20 year association with Walter Flessel Motors in Huntington, L.I.
          Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

• I hope that if some of these old buildings exist, that some of you will get pictures of what's left. I find it fascinating at how some of this buildings have changed over time. This includes the fact the most of the people who may work in that building now have no clue that 40+ years ago, Joe Mechanic was doing lube jobs and brake jobs where the secretary may be sitting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by studegary

quote:Originally posted by Johnnywiffer

As soon as he got the '51 or '52 home, I removed the dealer name. It was an aluminum plate that fit under the trunk lid handle. Now they're worth a jillion dollars. Oh well...
              John
              Whenever I have ordered a new car or bought a used car, I have specified, no dealer ID. I only will have dealer IDs on a car if they are willing to pay for them to advertise their dealership. I did have dealer license plate frames on our PT Cruiser for the first couple of weeks. It was the dealer that I had just stopped working for and we went on a trip right away and the frames indicated where in NY we were from (not NYC area). Some dealerships put their plate frames on cars that they service. I have always checked for this when picking a car up.
              I thought I was the only one that did that. If I buy a car in stock, I make them take off the dealer decal. If I order one, I make them leave it off. When I ordered my '64 Wagonaire the dealer just gave me the decal in case I changed my mind (I still have the decal, but not on the car).

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
              Museum R-4 engine
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

• The only time I've left the dealer nameplate on a new car was in 1989 when I bought my Taurus SHO. The car was brought in as a dealer trade from Mid Ohio Ford and the selling dealer was afraid to pull the decal and possibly ruining the paint. I had to agree. Of course, being a road racing fan, I figuired I could live with the 'Mid Ohio' tie-in.

When I restored my '62 Dodge Lancer, it had the pot metal nameplate for the selling dealer. It was 'Hodges' in Ferdale, MI. Now for those who don't know who 'Hodges' was...

Like that Studebaker sitting in the farmers field, someday I'll have the pitting fixed and the nameplate rechromed. It might bring big money from a Dodge collector.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

• Randy-
                  Here are a few Studebaker Dealers I am aware of to add to your wonderful site. Is there a link to your S-P Dealer list via the SDC site?
                  Hope too many of these aren't repeats for you.

Ables Motor Co.; 3520 East Colfax Ave.; Denver, CO
                  Ardourel Brothers; 1109 Walnut St.; Boulder, CO
                  Barbacovi Motors; 2nd & Mian St.; Walsenburg, CO
                  Beldt Motor Co., Marysville, KS (ca.1947-55)
                  Beldt Motor Co., Longmont, CO (ca.1959-64)
                  Marcus Motors; 1156 Broadway; Denver, CO (Stude dealer 1929-1954; then carried DeSoto, Plymouth, Chrysler, Borgward, International, Ford Cortina & Mercedes Benz.)
                  Buckley Brothers Motors; 660 So. Broadway; Denver, CO (Stude & Mercedes; then Toyota.)
                  Mooney Motors; 5555 W. Colfax Ave.; Denver, CO
                  Carl Bartz Motor Co.; 3198 N. Speer Blvd.; Denver, CO (Stude; then Renault & Puegot.)
                  Ray Wilson Studebaker Center; 2750 W. Alameda; Denver, CO
                  Patton Bros. Motor Sales; 404 West Main St.; Cortez, CO
                  Uptown Motors; 1110 N. College Ave.; Ft. Collins, CO
                  Osborne Motors; Hwy.6 & 24; Glenwood, CO
                  Automatic Transmission Co.; 125 Eighth Ave.; Greeley, CO
                  Roth Motor Co.; 2680 W. Main St.; Littleton, CO
                  Bob Halloran Motors; 1627 N. Main St.; Longmont, CO
                  Smith Motor Co.; 139 W. 3rd St.; Salida, CO
                  Stallsworth Motor Co.; 139 W. 3rd St.; Salida, CO
                  Federal Valley Motors; 3075 W. 72nd Ave.; Westminster, CO
                  Petros Motor Sales; Pueblo, CO
                  Jefferson Motors; 820 Wadsworth Blvd.; Denver, CO
                  Voris Brothers; Greeley, CO
                  Snearly Studebaker; Colorado Springs, CO
                  King's Auto Sales; 7th & Main St.; Delta, CO (Still in business as a Toyota dealer.)
                  Studebaker Colorado Vehicle Co.; Denver, CO (1910)
                  P.L. Richardson Auto Garage; 311 Lincoln Ave.; Loveland, CO (1909)
                  Van Dyke Motor Co.; 1156 Broadway; Denver, CO (1930)
                  SantaFe Motor Co.; 965 SantaFe Dr.; Denver, CO (1930)
                  Durdy Brothers; Brighton, CO (1930)
                  Unger Motor Co.; Longmont, CO (1930)
                  Jack Faus Jr.; Boulder, CO (1930)
                  Vassar Garage; Loveland, CO (1930)
                  Koelling-Vickers Motor Co.; Greeley, CO (1930)
                  Southwestern Motor Co.; 1910 Main St.; Durango, CO
                  Pueblo Central Motors; 1130 N. Santa Fe; Pueblo, CO
                  Glaviano & Garlutzo Motors; Trinidad, CO

B.N. Rider Motors; 407 S. Cameron St.; Harrisburg, PA
                  Charles B. Rider Motor, Inc.; 415 S. Market St.; Mechanicsburg, PA
                  Zacharias Motors; 413-15 S. Market St.; Mechanicsburg, PA
                  Hahn & Sons; Lehighton, PA
                  Paul Matter Studebaker; Honesdale, PA
                  Carl E. Filer Motors; Greenville, PA
                  Waynesburg Motor Co.; Waynesburg, PA

Eiznhamer Motor Co.; Clay Center, KS
                  Tri-County Motor Co.; Manhattan, KS
                  Morton Motor Co.; Omaha, NE
                  Don Wilson Motor Co.; 411 W. 2nd St.; Grand Island, NE (Stude & AMC)
                  Humes Motor Co.; Concordia, KS
                  Wittman Motors; Sabetha, KS
                  Zoglmann Motor Co.; Witchita, KS
                  Nagels Motor Co.; Topeka, KS
                  Fischer Motor Co.; Topeka, KS
                  Nelson Motor Co.; Osborne, KS
                  Allen Motor & Implement Co.; Atchison, KS
                  Price Motor & Supply Co.; Harrisonville, MO
                  Sanders Motor Co.; 9th & Mississippi; Lawrence, KS
                  Schrey Motors; Leavenworth, KS
                  Ray Smith Motors; Kansas City, KS
                  Lee Motors; Olathe, KS
                  Warta Motor Co.; 720 S. Broadway; Salina, KS
                  Missouri Valley Motors; Marshall, MO
                  Union Motor Sales; Des Moines, IA
                  Green Motors; Oskaloosa, IA
                  Handler Motor Co.; Attumwa, IA
                  Sullivan Motors; Overland, MO
                  Noth Side Motors; St. Louis, MO
                  Stephens Motor Co.; 8th & Main St.; Goodland, KS
                  Jim Webb Studebaker Automotive Sales; Reno, NV

Bob Wondries Motors; Alhambra, CA
                  Frank Afton Motors; Inglewood, CA
                  Mich Motors; Huntington Park, CA
                  Marsh & Carlson; Manhattan Beach, CA
                  Ernie McKay Motors; Evanston, IL
                  T.N.M. Lathrop; New London, CT
                  Martin Motors; North Sacramento, CA
                  Donley Motors; Ashland, OR
                  West Hills Motors; Cincinnati, OH
                  Super Motors, Inc.; Dayton, OH
                  Magnolia Motors; Magnolia, AR
                  Paoli Brothers; 7th & 'C' St.; Eureka, CA
                  Simonson-Schactmeyer; Santa Monica, CA
                  Summit Studebaker; Akron, OH
                  Howards Motor Sales; Albany, CA

Adwest Motors; 3612 N. Western Ave.; Chicago, IL
                  Angelo's Auto Sales; 3719 E. 106th St.; Chicago, IL
                  Carmen Sales & Service; 3000 W. Lawrence Av
                  Christof Kheim
                  ---studesnbldr
                  ckheim@yahoo.com

Comment

• Christof, any idea if Martin Motors was in business in North Sacramento during the '63/'64 model years? My Daytona was shipped to North Sacramento but a dealers name was not on the Production Order. I'm hoping at some point to narrow the dealer down to at least an area. Nice list!

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

• Tom- I can only confirm that Martin Motors was in business through the summer of 1959, but it is very possible they remained a dealer into '63/'64. Have your tried contacting the libraries in the North Sacramento area for any possible business listings from that time period?? Old phone directories are an excellent resource. Good luck.

Christof Kheim
                      ---studesnbldr
                      christof@rockymountainstudebaker.net
                      Christof Kheim
                      ---studesnbldr
                      ckheim@yahoo.com

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

Andourel Motor Co., Boulder CO

Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        Bill & Randy- This was A[u]R</u>DOUREL Bros. Motor Co. here in Boulder, not A[u]n</u>dourel. Watch those spellings folks! [8)] Thanks.

Christof Kheim
                        ---studesnbldr
                        christof@rockymountainstudebaker.net
                        Christof Kheim
                        ---studesnbldr
                        ckheim@yahoo.com

Comment

• I just wanted to drop a quick note to say THANKS for all the names and photo's of Studebaker Dealer's. I am working on this listing so for some of you that have not seen your name or photo listed please be patient with me. I will get to all of them and please keep them coming.

Randy_G
                          This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Over 400 pages of Content and Growing
                          Including the Studebaker Dealer Listing!

Comment

• Randy; Here's another one- Hillcrest Motors, Fishersville, VA. Sold only Studebakers for approximately 2 years before going out of business. A very small dealership. Head mechanic was the owner and salesman, the one employee was a an off-and-on mechanic. If memories serves me, he had the franchise in 1957-58. The owner's name was Chandler.

Frank Drumheller
                            Louisa, VA
                            '60 Lark Regal VI 4 door
                            '48 Studebaker/Boyer M16-52 fire truck

Comment

• I just came across a pot holder I have in my collection with the following printed on it:
                              the Lark emblem / "Love That Lark" / compliments of / Joe Raya Studebaker, INC. / 100 S. Jefferson Peoria, ILL.

Gary Sanders
                              Nixa, MO
                              President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                              Gary Sanders
                              Nixa, MO

Comment

• I'll add the primary cause of my Studebaker madness
                                Stitzer Garage in Stitzer Wisconsin.
                                In 1937 a Mr Gratz,who ran a small Chevrolet dealership, had a falling-out with GM and signed on with the Pride of South Bend
                                The dealership had a successful run, eventually transitioning to the management of the Stich brothers in the late 50s until winding up the dealership in the late 60s.
                                As a five year old in 1970 I have vivid memories of the lovely bullet-noses that were lurking all over that little town, Mrs Gratz '63 Commander, the Transtar wrecker at the gas station, and the Gorgeous 2R5 always parked at Verl Stichs' repair shop.
                                My most cherished memory from that time is a visit with my father to the new tenant in the service building one evening, while the adults were 'discussing' I was looking out the window fascinated with the old 'wing' style sign still in place. 'Lorney" Addison saw where I was looking, walked over to the switch, and *lit* the sign! The memory of looking up at that red neon shining "Studebaker" in the early evening has never left me

Comment

Working...
                                X