No announcement yet.

Studebaker Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man those old studes were built stout.Theres approximatly 1500 lbs on that roof.A bale weights between 450 n 600 lbs.

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Comment

In Clay Center Kansas there was Eisenhamer Motor Company. from the mid 1940's up thru 1952.

Comment

In response to JBOYLE, Michaelson Motors in Baltimore was a Chevy and Reneault dealer in the early 60's. I traded a 48 Stude Commander for a 1960 Renault 4CV at Michaelson's. Still kicking myself in the rear for that. When you are young and foolish we do stupid things.
        Another dealer in the Baltimore area was Georgio (spelling) in the Dundalk area. On Dundalk Avenue near Eastern Blvd. Brought three Studes from them. A 1950 Starlight, the aforementioned 1948 Commander
        and finally a 1958 Commander, 4 door. Currently have a 55 President HT.

Comment

I've got a pencil here on my desk that's got written on it: "Heling's Garage - Burnett, Wis. Studebaker - Case Dial MUrdock9-2241

BTW - Welcome Aboard, Dave!

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have a theory that may...or may not...withstand the light of day...

From looking at the responses in this thread it looks like many cities had many Studebaker dealers....examples: 5 in Baltimore, three in one part of Wyoming.

Is it likely that having too many (small) dealers instead of half that number of larger stronger ones hurt sales?

Likewise, I suppose it's equally possible that given their overall shape, they could only get smaller operations to sign on.

Any thoughts or opinions?

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

JBoyle I think in some instances the Studebaker dealers may have been somewhat short-lived, or signed on the handle the Lark during its short heyday. I know that was the case in my home area of Scottsbluff, Nebraska. It had a longtime Studebaker (and Packard) dealer and a short-timer who sold Pontiacs and Cadillacs who picked up Studebaker for the Lark in the late 1950s and unceremoniously dropped the brand when Lark sales went south. That could be the story with a lot of dealerships, like the one's I posted above for Denver circa 1960. Once the Big Three introduced their compacts I think Studebaker was dropped by many dual-brand dealerships.

Studedude1961
              --1963 Cruiser

Comment

I think this dealership in Richmond, VA was mentioned before, but my family bought 3 Studebakers from them before they switched to Rambler at the end of 1958.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Hey Leonard, where did you find that? You should also mention that old Mr. Pence just died a couple of months ago and his son is still in business with a couple of locations selling Nissan, Olds, Suburu, Kia, Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
                  Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

quote: Hey Leonard, where did you find that? You should also mention that old Mr. Pence just died a couple of months ago and his son is still in business with a couple of locations selling Nissan, Olds, Suburu, Kia, Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep.
                    I went to an estate sale about a month ago and they had 3 of the Richmond Directorys like you have. They had a 1954 with the Pence Studebaker ad and a 1960 with the Pence Rambler ad and a 1927 with two dealerships I have never heard of. I did some work on Mac Pence's house several years ago and he gave me a photo of his grandfather buying the dealership from Mr. Baber in the fall of 1949. They were standing by a 50 Land Cruiser. I sent the photo to Fred Fox to use in TW and it was lost in the mail. I saw Mac at Ukrops this summer and asked him if I could get another print of the picture and he said he didn't have any. Here are the 1927 Richmond, VA Studebaker Dealership ads.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

• Interesting that a location that is east of the Boulevard is considered West End!

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
                      Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

• This is an invoice from Parks Motor Company in Parksley, VA (on the Eastern Shore) who sold a 57 Golden Hawk.

Comment

• [quote]Originally posted by Studedude1961

JBoyle I think in some instances the Studebaker dealers may have been somewhat short-lived, or signed on the handle the Lark during its short heyday. Once the Big Three introduced their compacts I think Studebaker was dropped by many dual-brand dealerships.

That was one of the main reasons why Harold Churchill got 'the boot' in November of 1960 and replaced by Sherwood Egbert. Many of dealers who took on the Lark in 1959 were the more prominant block-long main artery dealers that handled one of the big-three with a solid reputation. For Studebaker to lose this golden sales opportunity more or less sealed the of the dealer network; something Sherwood Egbert was unsuccessful in revitalizing in his short tenure as President. It has been said many time, the dealer operation was one of the weak links in the Studebaker chain.

Craig

Comment

• Just thought of another NC Studebaker Dealership

C.R. Freeman Buick,Studebaker and Rambler (later AMC)
                            It was located on Hancock Street in Rockingham, NC

Bill Sapp
                            Hamlet, NC

Comment

• Baltimore in the 60's was:

Michaelson Motors
                              Reistertown Road

They later became a Volvo dealer after Studebaker.
                              We use to hang out across St. at Amache's Drivin
                              and see these Avanti's parked out front. Always wanted one and now own a 1978 II RQB 2772

PS - went to same High School ( Balto. City College) with Steve Blake

Comment

• Two dealers were in Lafayette Indiana during the 40s and 50s that I know of, one was Kelly motors located on Columbia Street, The building is still there, and I own a 48 Commander that was sold there new. I have the bill of sale in the glove box, and I am second owner(was TW cover car May 2000)also I bought a 48 Champion and a 51 Commander from Paul Johnson Motors in Lafayette Indiana back in the 50s, located on US 52 by-pass.
                                I later in 1993, aquired a 51 Commander that was sold by Alexader Motors in Superior Nebraska(also a TW cover car in Jan.96)they are still in business today with the original brothers still selling Buicks

Comment

Working...
                                X