Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

• Thank you all, I'll get them listed tonight
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

• HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

• HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

• Thanks, I've been away for a week. I'll have them online in a minute....

While you're waiting, here's a neat movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LpPK...ature=youtu.be

sent to me by Jim Jacobson, who also has a great website
            http://stude.net/
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

• I remember 4 dealers rather distinctly:
              1) Gerhardt Motors, Boston Post Road, Bronx, New York. He stayed with Studebaker until about 1957-58 when he was wooed into switching to become a Mercury & English Ford Franchise. Needless to say, he was out of business only a few years later. Dad bought a 1950 Champion Regal Deluxe 4 door sedan and a 1953 Champion 4 door sedan from him. He bought both right off the floor and took delivery on each a day or so later. I was disappointed that he bought the '53 because I was eyeing the "European Look", Starlight, that was sitting next to it on the showroom floor. That '53 later became mine and it saw me through the end of my Junior year in College in 1962. It was just fully worn out - with over 190,000 miles, never garaged, and always outdoors in the cold New England Winters. I put it out to pasture behind the barn,draining the fuel and coolant & removing the battery (6 Volt), where it sat for a good 7 years. Dad then said he needed the space so I put gas in the gas tank, Changed the oil & spark plugs, added a new battery and coolant. The tires, while very flat, held air when I inflated them. I put the key in the ignition, stepped on the clutch and, to my surprise, the car started. I drove it about 12 miles to a friend and gave it to him. At the 190,000 mile mark it was still getting 28 - 32 miles per gallon.
              2) Meyers Middlesex Garage, Route 9, Deep River, Connecticut. Elwood Meyers was a friend of my dad. I would hang out there every chance I got. His Garage was on a very straight and relatively level section of Route 9. The Showroom with the Repair Bays behind it, along with the new cars on the East side of the undivided highway, while the Used Cars were on a lot just across the road on the Western side. One cold, icy day in 1958 I happened to be looking at the very light traffic coming Northbound on Route 9. I saw one car start to skid and then to 360's down the road and managed to crash into the front row of every used car on Mr. Meyers lot. It was like a bowling pin being hit by a bowling ball. Fortunately, nobody got seriously hurt, although we were all shaken by the experience. Dad bought a 1960 Lark VIII, 4 door Wagonaire from Meyers Middlesex Garage. The car had been delivered as we were hanging out with Mr. Meyers. Dad looked at it and said, "I want it. Wait - is it sold?." "It is now!", said Mr. Meyers and they went inside a handled the paperwork In 1962, I purchased a 1959 Lark VI, 2 door hardtop from Mr. Meyers for $900. It had seen about 23,000 miles. I used that car for my Senior Year and then took it to Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, where I began my Graduate Studies. Foolishly, I sold it in January od 1963. I've regretted it ever since.
              3) Marvin's Garage, Colchester, Connecticut
              4) Schubert's Studebaker, Smithtown, New York. That business was still ongoing with the same family, although now a magnificent Auto Body Shop, when I left Long Island in 2002. I was unaware of its Studebaker heritage when I had some collision work done on one of my cars in the late 1970's. While waiting, I glanced at some wall pictures and a photo album sitting on one of the end tables. That day, I spent about an hour and a half discussing and learning of the "old" family business. My plan was to write an article for the Long Island SDC monthly publication. Unfortunately, I do not think I ever did. Somewhere, among all the boxes of "downsized" materials that I haven't even had a chance to glance at, may be the notes and photos I took. If I ever find them, I think it would make a wonderful article for "Turning Wheels"

Comment

• Thanks for the memories.... I used to live in the North Bronx, not that far from the A & M Garage on Webster Ave..... used to ride my bike on the Post Road.
                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

• New information on the Unknown Oregon dealer has been found:
                  http://studebakerdealers.blogspot.co...tudebaker.html
                  It was Wareham Studebaker from 1926 until 1960. It became Jarvis Lark in 1960. Jarvis Lark later moved into the Jarvis Jeep building at 1300 SE Grand, in Portland, after their lease expired. The building in the photo is still standing; it is painted in sort of a harvest-gold color, heading towards the tan side. It was built in 1926, and remains very original.

64V-KV: Please post the Jarvis Jeep picture also, as that was where Jarvis Lark stayed until 1966.
                  http://thefcconnection.com/photogall...Dealership.jpg
                  Last edited by texbodemer; 09-02-2012, 05:24 PM. Reason: Formatting
                  \"Life is short, write in pen\"

Comment

• Thank you, noted and posted.....
                    Last edited by 64V-K7; 09-02-2012, 06:46 PM.
                    64 GT Hawk (K7)
                    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

• Hello, Growing up in Pitman NJ our Studebaker dealer was Adams Motor Co. on S.Broadway Pitman NJ, they closed doors in the mid 1950's, Franchise was picked up by John S. Stratton our local Pontiac dealer, he sold Studebaker, Pontiac and Willys.
                      I now live in Hammonton, NJ and here the Studebaker Packard dealer was Scordo's Auto, still in business but as a body shop.
                      I believe there was another Studebaker dealer here, I think it was called Thruway Motors on S.Egg Harbor Road, not sure of the name, I will check and get back to you on that.
                      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

• Comment

• I've been to A & M Garage on Webster Avenue. He sold me a replacement Gas Pedal (floor mounted) for my 1963 Champion Sedan. I remember that he had a new Mercedes at the front of the showroom. I looked closely because many people were making a fuss about the high class German import. I recall that I wasn't impressed.

Comment

• I just remembered that there also was another dealer in the Bronx, just south off White Plains Road by Parkchester. My Aunt bought a 1959 Lark VI - 4 door sedan with Automatic Transmission. It was in a light blue. She had my father drive it from the dedalership & park it because she didn't yetnhave a drivers license. That was to come later - about 3 months later.
                            I can picture the dealership, but the name eludes me. Do you know the name of that dealership?

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                                Hello, Growing up in Pitman NJ our Studebaker dealer was Adams Motor Co. on S.Broadway Pitman NJ, they closed doors in the mid 1950's, Franchise was picked up by John S. Stratton our local Pontiac dealer, he sold Studebaker, Pontiac and Willys.
                                I now live in Hammonton, NJ and here the Studebaker Packard dealer was Scordo's Auto, still in business but as a body shop.
                                I believe there was another Studebaker dealer here, I think it was called Thruway Motors on S.Egg Harbor Road, not sure of the name, I will check and get back to you on that.
                                Thaks for the updates. I looked for info on Thruway, but nothing yet. I DID find a new one however....
                                http://www.studebaker-info.org/Deale...html#rupertons
                                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                                X