Studebaker Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by studeluvr View Post
    While diggin' thru a 1929 Bell Telephone and Telegraph System phonebook for Idaho and Utah. Listed are:
    Studebaker Motor Cars
    Evanston Motor Co. Evanston WYO.
    Packard Motors Inc. SLC UT
    There might be more but not listed as Studebaker dealership in some kind of ad because there aren't ads like today. This phone book is about a 1/2 inch thick and listed all of Idaho Utah and some of Wyoming, persons and businesses, it even lists Airports and Landing Fields.
    This is a neat find.
    doug

Thanks for the above, I'll check the listings I have. To date, I think I've exhausted the Google Newspaper Archive, but have gleaned at least a thousand names and ads. It's too bad they don't have a wider range of both publishers and years, however. Some of the better ones ( NY Times, etc) only offer information at a price and that's out of my reach. I still get a few emails and pics from relatives of past owners.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

• Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
      I have 4 dealers listed in Danville, IL, but none for Indiana. I'll use the pic tho for the 'pending file"

thanks
      'Funniest thing since posting that photo, Bob.

I ran across a newly-published book on Danville IN history with several hundred old-timey period photos of Danville IN. They have a picture of that building with the huge, horizontal STUDEBAKER sign right above the center of the building.

But out in front of the building is a motor bus with the bus company's drivers. The entire caption discusses bus service around Danville and to and from nearby Indianapolis, doesn't mention peep about the car dealership in front of which the bus is parked!

Oh, well, the STUDEBAKER sign is prominent in the photo, but the bus covers up any portion of the showroom or windows that might provide a clue as to the dealer's name or the year in which the photo was taken. Sigh. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Thanks BP,

Every little bit helps...
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

• Photos of J & L Studebaker, located at 106 W Main, Everson WA have been added to my blog:
          studebakerdealers.blogspot.com
          Enjoy!
          \"Life is short, write in pen\"

Comment

• also the studebaker sales company of chicago on michigan ave owner by henry r levy

Comment

• Have it, thanks, but I'll add the name

http://www.studebaker-info.org/Deale...3.html#ssocmi1
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

• Early dealers

If you go to the Library of Congress website (loc.org) & click on their newspaper collection, you can view thousands of digitized newspapers. These are local papers from all over the country and many contain all the advertisements. Every small town had a Studebaker agent and many of them are in these old papers. In the few minutes I browsed, I found these: 'Layng Auto Co.' 313-315 Chaparral St. Corpus Christi, Tx. (5/25/1919) - 'Montgomery Motor Co.' Mt. Sterling, Ky.(9/28/1922) - 'Warren Garage' Warren, Mn.(3/24/1915) - 'Studebaker Bros. Of Utah-Distributors' 157-161 State St. Salt Lake City, Ut.(8/31/1913) - 'Lowry & Henry - Agents' Alliance, Ne. (7/19/1917). I'm sure there are hundreds (or thousands) more. All from the local papers of the day. For anyone who has the patience to browse, it's a wonderful resource.

Comment

• loc.gov

Good referral!
                  Thanks for posting!
                  Jeff
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

• http://www.loc.gov/search/?q=Studeba...digitized:true
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

• oops.

Sorry. My mistake! The library of Congress website is loc.gov Not loc.org as I earlier said.

Comment

• Baker had a Studebaker -Plymouth dealership on West main Street In Hillsboro,Ohio My dad bought a 64 Daytona 4 Dr. new and then A 65 Fury 4dr. from him in the day. Never did ask why the short ownership of the Studebaker . He was a Rural mail carrier.
                        Randy Wilkin
                        1946 M5 Streetrod
                        Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

• Winston Salem ,NC
                          Last edited by blackhawk61; 07-11-2012, 12:23 PM.
                          1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                          Lewisville,NC

Comment

• OTHER SIDE
                            [QUOTE][/QUOTE]
                            1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                            Lewisville,NC

Comment

• Originally posted by rknight89 View Post
                              I'm sure there are hundreds (or thousands) more. All from the local papers of the day. For anyone who has the patience to browse, it's a wonderful resource.
                              I have visited the LOC and Google's Archives and probably have exhausted those resources. There are almost 5000 names listed on my site and I keep finding more. "Google is your friend" or at least was. They've decided to not continue with their digital Archive of books, etc and that's a big setback, but more names continue to surface with what's available. The real mother lode is in the Digital newspaper archives (http://newspaperarchive.com/) but they and others ( NYTimes) want a stately sum just to browse and it's not worth it...

BobJ
                              www.studebaker-info.org
                              64 GT Hawk (K7)
                              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

• CHAMPAIGN-URBANA, IL
                                My father's dealership, C. L. Cochrun&Son ca.1930 thru 1956 (also Packard in '56 and American Bantam in late 30's)
                                H.E. Harkins & Co, 1957-58
                                Dana Hudelson, Inc. late 50's - early 60's

In Bloomington, IL it was H. G. Wonderlin. No, it wasn't. See my correction a few items below.

While we answered the phone "Cochrun Studebaker" my dad said the Studebaker Corp didn't like the name "Studebaker" used in the dealership name - in case the dealership went bust. Ironic!
                                Last edited by cochrunj; 07-20-2012, 08:47 PM. Reason: right dealer, wrong city

Comment

Working...
                                X