No announcement yet.

Studebaker Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also in Rochester NY, Dorschel Buick on Genesee St. sold Larks at least in 1959 and 60. They were stored and displayed at a former fire station across the street from the Buick showroom. They may have been a Studebaker dealer way back when , before Buick but I can't verify that without further research. Dorschel is still in business and is one of the largest dealer organizations in Rochester, but unfortunately are only selling import nameplates.

Comment

• UPDATE! Dorschel started out in the 40's on Ridge road in Rochester selling Studebaker and Hudson.

Comment

• Paul G. Hoffmans Place .
        Attached Files

Comment

• Ernie Leatherman Sales Albion, IN He started out selling Studebakers by getting them from Publix Studebaker in Kendallville, IN.

The company became a dealer in Studebakers in 1956 and continued until production stopped in 1963. The business sold other makes of new cars, but I think it presently is in used car sales, only.
          "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

• Hmmm . A Studebaker / Mercedes-Benz Dealership .
            Temple Motor Company . Tacoma Washington on Broadway .
            Attached Files

Comment

• Here's another one that I haven't seen posted yet, Crescent Garage, 9 S Main St, Yerington, Nevada. They were a Studebaker dealer right to the very end. They then switched to AMC and later Chrysler.

When my father and I visited the dealer in 1992, we spoke to the elderly owner who later sold us his remaining Studebaker inventory which consisted of a couple of shelves full. I remember seeing the 100th Anniversary plaster ornament on the office wall and a very large 100th Anniversary decal on the window between his office and the showroom. I am yet to see another like it. They may still be there!!

Now here's an interesting post script. The dealer name kind of sounded familar to me, so after returning home, I checked the production order for my 1966 Commander which I was very slowly restoring at the time. It had been delivered new by Crescent Garage to the First National Bank of Nevada as part of a fleet order of Commanders. We later spoke again to the owner who remembered the order and recalled three near identical 1966 V8 Commanders; one Midnight Black, one Arctic White & one Niagara Blue Mist (mine). Not bad for a very small dealership.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Temple Motor Company - Tacoma, WA

Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
                Hmmm . A Studebaker / Mercedes-Benz Dealership .
                Temple Motor Company . Tacoma Washington on Broadway .
                Downtown Tacoma has a lot of automobile history. The neat thing is that many of the original buildings are still there and the city is choosing to renovate them instead of tearing them down. Most are being set up now for business in the main level and loft apartment above. Following is a more recent view of the building.
                Attached Files

Comment

• For a new Studebaker see,

Kendallville Auto Sales on West North Street in Kendallville, Indiana from 1953 and from years earlier and later

The building currently is Shephard Buick GMC dealership.

Husband of Lark VIII girl

Comment

• Website has Joppa Motors?, Joppa MD as a Stude dealer. The dealer was A & L Motors in Joppa MD and they closed about 6 years ago. It is great to review the list. Thanks

Comment

• This week's trip was to Salem, Ohio

The Studebaker dealers were

C. W. Zimmerman, 103 Pershing 1910 thru 1923
                      E. H. Althouse 103 Pershing 1927 thru 1947
                      Fitzpatrick Motors 544 Pershing 1947 thru 1953

also Lisbon Ohio
                      Tolson Motor Co. 124 Washington 1950

I do want to mention searches are limited to what Phone books and city directories are at the library. If you have these items please donate to your local library

Also of interest in Salem was W.H. Kniseley & Son Inc. They began working on cars in 1902!! In 1925 they built a nice dealership building with their name above the door.
                      They sold Hudson, Essex and Terrplane and remained a dealer thru 1957. The building is in good condition and was open as paper company.

Comment

• Freeport Illinois had Studebaker dealers
                        W.J Maurer, 27 Stephenson St. 1919-1923
                        Lutz Motor Co , dealer Zeke Lutz, 115 N. Galena 1937
                        Freeport Motor Sales, 123 Van Buren Ave 1948 thu 1957

Husband of Lark VIII girl
                        Last edited by Lark8girl; 11-05-2010, 11:03 AM. Reason: mis spelling

Comment

• Once upon a time in Sacramento, California. Here are a few dealer shots and advertisements:

Lester Motors
                          Link: http://www.studebakerguide.com/2010/...acramento.html

Les Schwimley:
                          http://www.studebakerguide.com/2010/...amento-ca.html
                          http://www.studebakerguide.com/2010/...rtisement.html
                          http://www.studebakerguide.com/2010/...acramento.html

Comment

• The Studebaker dealership list is maintained by Bob Johnstone at this website:
                            http://studebaker-info.org/Dealers/studedealersrj.html
                            Would be nice if we could find pictures of our local Stude dealerships and send to him to make it even better. Keep up the good work Bob!
                            sigpic
                            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                              A friend of mine emailed me these photos and wanted them posted here. A couple neat photos of an old dealership:

. .
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

• These pictures are of Phillips Robb Studebaker from 1940 to 1954. Located on the corner of Main & Warnock ST. in 1954 John Bill McGarrah bought the building and started selling Plymouth Desoto then later on sold Dodge there till the late 80's. This building is currently a used car lot "Cheap Cars".

Comment

Working...
                                X