No announcement yet.

Studebaker Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just went to the Stove Huggers' page and spent a good hour there!! love this site!!!

Comment

• The script on my '59 Lark has Lee D.Butler as the dealer...Looks like he must have been a Washington DC metro car dealer as he was head of the Washington Area New Dealers Association in 1940-41 per thier site. At some point wound up in Harrisonburg area and had contact with Mason Motors as mentioned before since I found an item with thier info on it.

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

I think I provided the name for the list, but does anybody know if Hunt Motor Co., Laurens, SC, is still around?
        Please forgive my being late to the party...the last time I passed through Laurens a couple years ago, the building was still there, but it's now a grocery store. I remember the showroom window openings had been bricked up and the building had been painted. I could still recognize the building, though.

I have very vivid memories of the scene you described from the early '80s. When I was a kid, Hunt's fascinated me when we'd pass through Laurens on our way to visit family. It was like a time capsule. It's now long gone, but some of the pictures in this thread have really provoked the memories I have of looking through that window.

Comment

• From this weeks trip;

LaCrosse Wisconsin
          Elsen & Phillips 2nd and State
          Muller-Morley Co 1919-1915
          Western Motors Studebaker Dist. 718 N. 3rd 1929-1928
          Studebaker Sales & Service Geo.Phillips 5th Ave & State 1935-1940
          Cameron Motor Co. M.D. Cameron 620 State 1945-1950

Rochester Minnesota
          Burnham Motor Sales 626 First Ave SW Dale Burnham 1952
          McGeary Motors Inc. 315-317 First Ave SW 1933
          Case Motor Co. 114-1118 Third SW 1921

research by Husband of Lark VIII girl

Comment

• Just a quick message to introduce myself. My name is Ron Bunting,I restore Mercedes cars which is how I found this thread on the WWW.
            I have just received from the USA a 1964 Mercedes 220SEc Coupe. It was sold new in late 1964 by Indiana Service and Sales in Indiana PA. I looked up the address,1080 Philadelphia st , Indiana . Today it's a Nissan dealership but looking at the picture on Google street view it still looks like it may have back in 1964 except that the frontage now has a couple of signs with"Mark Arbuckle" and "Nissan".
            Reading through this thread it would appear that the Studebaker dealerships would sell Datsuns too. Datsun being the name that Nissan Motor Corp sold their cars under originally. This would lead me to think that after Studebakers finished,the Datsuns kept the business going.
            I bought my Coupe through an acquaintance in Tennessee ,but the car has license stickers from West Virginia.
            While checking out the rotten floors I found a service book stuck up under the passenger seat. It was this that led me to the dealership that sold the car new.

Does anyone have any pictures of the Dealership in Indiana PA from back in the 60's?

Comment

• From Illinois,

Bement Il, Bowen Motor Co., 281 E. Bodman, 1953

Decatur Il, W.L.Shellabarger's Sons 232-241 S. Main 1924
              V.M. Elmore & Son 300 E. Main 1925-1931
              J.D. Cook & Son Dist., 257 W. Main 1933-1942
              H.G. Wonderlin Co., 360 E. Main 1954

Research by Husband of Lark VIII girl

Comment

• Studebaker Dealer US 22 & US 3, Cincinnati, Ohio, and 50 Studebaker on the street.

Leonard Shepherd
                http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

• MOVE THAT BUS!! If only it weren't there...... Pretty neat, appears to be an art-deco building.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

• my father was a studebaker dealer in conowingo maryland.called Jones motor company

Comment

• Is anybody compiling all the information that Randy had on his site? It was a great resource. I hope we haven't lost the information.

Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

• My mother moved into a retirement center recently and we are meeting new people. Today, at lunch, a lady mentioned her father worked at a Studebaker dealer in Pampa, TX. She couldn't remember the name. Who knows???

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

• Hi there,

I saw a discussion on this forum about Studebaker dealerships in various geographic locations including Toronto, Ontario, Canada (where I live). I can't seem to find it now, so I am not sure where to post little this piece of info.

Anyway, I have an old toolbox containing many small antique hand tools, including a promotional metal flathead screwdriver with "McMullen & Lee - 472 Yonge St." on one side of the handle and "STUDEBAKER" on the other.

I thought that some of you may find it of interest to know that there *may have been a Studebaker dealer in Toronto at one time (*I haven't found any info on the source of this tool).

Cheers,
                          Dan

Comment

• Hi,
                            From what I can find, MacMullen & Lee were Lighting Equipment Distributors C. 1918, in Ontario
                            <http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...68,2845381>

Bob Johnstone
                            www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
                            55 President State Sedan
                            70 Avanti (R3)
                            64 GT Hawk (K7)
                            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

• Heh - that's more than I could find.

I wonder what the "STUDEBAKER" on the screwdriver was all about? They may have just been a parts distributor trying to sell Studebaker parts?

Thanks for the info and reply.

Cheers,
                              Dan

Comment

• From the 1955 Ithaca Michigan Centential Booklet,

Johnson & Sons
                                1001 E. Washington St. Est. 1936
                                Ithaca Michigan

A picture shows a nice selection of new 55 Studebakers

Husband Of Lark VIII girl

Comment

Working...
                                X