Studebaker Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quote:Originally posted by ClaymoreWW

From the build sheet of my 63 Lark, it says the car was delivered to Monterey, CA. I see there is a Stahl Motor Company in Monterey on that list above. Does anyone have any information on Stahl Motor Company? Was that the only dealer in Monterey?

Thanks in advance,

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
    53-54 C/Ks, 55 Speedsters, 63 Daytonas, Wagonaires Registries

George, I'd go to the SNM website (Archives) and request a copy of the Dealer Contract Cards. I don't have the exact name of both sets of cards, but one is filed by state, then city (lists all Stude dealers that were ever in that town, and from when to when), and the other is filed by the name of the dealership and lists who the dealership principals were.

For a '63, the SNM also has the Drive Away Shipper Form for your car. It has much the same info as on the production order, plus shipping weight and name and address of the selling dealer. If you've already bought a production order through the SNM, maybe you can get a price cut of some kind on the Drive Away Shipper since it's much the same form. I don't know; can't hurt to try.

Also for '63's--although the records are spotty--you may very well be able to get the name and street address of the original owner of your Stude! They have those records there.

Whatever the charge for the Drive Away Shipper form is, is a wild card; but from experience, the dealer card information and also the retail sales card info (with name of original owner, if on hand) wouldn't be any more than $25 (min. research fee), plus a few cents for photocopies of what they found. On top of this being interesting stuff, it helps the Museum!

Good luck!

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1 (sold new by Cordell Motors, Moorhead, MN)
    '64 Daytona Hardtop (sold new by Carl E. Filer Co., Greenville, PA)

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

• I wanted to kick this monster back to the top and let everyone know I haven't forgotten the list. I am however working on updating the look of the site so progress will be slow as always. All of you are a great bunch of guys and I appreciate your support in creating this list.

Randy_G
      1959 Lark Sedan
      www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com

Comment

• My buddy found a print of Heishman's Garage at an antique shop. Attached is a scan of same. I love the US6 Wrecker..

[img][/img]

Regards

Jase
        www.b26marauder.com/toybox

Comment

• I would like to rehash a name here, because I just had an interesting story happen with it:
          Watt & Dorsey Motors, Ogden Avenue,Downers Grove IL

A couple weeks back I ran into a man while I was on a coffee run to the gas station. He said he worked in the dealership in Downers Grove. He asked if my Lark was a 64 and he knew the rear of my Lark by the profile, although I told him it had the chrome vent slits on it from the 66's. I told him it had an R2 in it, and he told me that the dealership was only able to sell a few 64 Larks for that year. He also told me that Studebaker was and would doing anything at that point to sell the customer a vehicle. Unfortunately I could not get a name or too much more detail as he was in a hurry, but I am certain this was the dealership he was talking about.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
          [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
          [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
          [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

• Some dealers I have known that I have not seen in this thread -- though I may have missed them and apologize if so..

Western New York: In Rochester there was Monroe Auto Sales for many years, plus Pfeffer's (Pittsford) and Bardeen Motors (Henrietta) for a few years in the 60's. In Buffalo there was Rogers Studebaker and for a short time Advance Studebaker. There was also a very nice dealer in East Aurora near Buffalo, but I can't remember the name.

One in Cleveland area that I have not seen listed was Dietz Motor Sales in Fairview Park.

Keep up the good work!

Gene Nagle
            1963 Hawk R1
            Gene Nagle
            1963 Hawk R1
            1985 Avanti

Comment

• Snuffy Smith Motors Dallas, Texas

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by buggboy

My buddy found a print of Heishman's Garage at an antique shop. Attached is a scan of same. I love the US6 Wrecker..

[img][/img]
                Based on the large bumper, the truck to the right in front of the shop would be a 1 ton.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

My buddy found a print of Heishman's Garage at an antique shop. Attached is a scan of same. I love the US6 Wrecker..
                  I bought most of their parts back in '73 or so. They had a LOT of neat stuff upstairs. That's where they put the stuff that they had no call for (mid- 50s accessories, chrome, six or eight Transistor Ignition kits, etc.). I wish I had it all back at today's prices[V].
                  I also got a mint parts book rack (with the glass panel and light) which I sold to JDP many years ago.
                  They were in a small Shenandoah Valley town called Mt Jackson, but they apparently sold quite a few Studebakers.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by 53k

quote:Originally posted by buggboy

I bought most of their parts back in '73 or so. They had a LOT of neat stuff upstairs. That's where they put the stuff that they had no call for (mid- 50s accessories, chrome, six or eight Transistor Ignition kits, etc.). I wish I had it all back at today's prices[V].
                    I also got a mint parts book rack (with the glass panel and light) which I sold to JDP many years ago.
                    They were in a small Shenandoah Valley town called Mt Jackson, but they apparently sold quite a few Studebakers.
                    Yep, I posted a while back that my buddy owns the building today. A few years back he found a Service Award from 1956 in the attic I guess you missed.

I wonder if JP still has the parts rack? And yea, Heishmans sold a pile of Studes. There are still a couple around that were sold by Heishman or Mason Motors in Timberville, still running and driving.

Regards

Jase
                    www.b26marauder.com/toybox

Comment

Yep, I posted a while back that my buddy owns the building today. A few years back he found a Service Award from 1956 in the attic I guess you missed.
                      I wonder if JP still has the parts rack? And yea, Heishmans sold a pile of Studes. There are still a couple around that were sold by Heishman or Mason Motors in Timberville, still running and driving.
                      I didn't see that award, but there were some things they didn't want to give up. That could have been one of them.
                      JDP sold the rack several years ago.
                      Shortly after I sold it to him I broke the glass in mine[V].

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

• Here is some more dealer tags, Grisham was in Springfield Mo. http://[IMG]http://i196.photobucket.....jpg[/IMG]http://[IMG]http://i196.photobucket.....jpg[/IMG]

Comment

• I love all old American cars so I hope you folks enjoy this site I just came across. It's full of old ford dealership photos
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/bossmus...45726489/show/

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by copcars1

I love all old American cars so I hope you folks enjoy this site I just came across. It's full of old ford dealership photos
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/bossmus...45726489/show/
                            Thanks so much for posting this (although in reality I'm surprised no one has said it belongs in 'Stove Huggers')--this is absolutely wonderful to watch as a slide show!!

A fellow emailed me a couple days ago about my question about the red '64 convert sold in my hometown, and told me the name of his hometown (Leechburg, PA). The next day I looked at this website and there was the Ford dealer in Leechburg, PA in '61 (near the end of the slide show)! What's the chance? I sent him the link and he was grateful, said the building still survives and that he had been in there many times with his Dad.

Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH

Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

• Sorry if I put it in the wrong place, I just thought that people looking at the Studebaker pics would like it. I'm new here and still learning.

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by copcars1

Sorry if I put it in the wrong place, I just thought that people looking at the Studebaker pics would like it. I'm new here and still learning.
                                Oh, no problem. Thanks for posting them! What I was surprised about was that nobody mentioned 'Stove Huggers' in response to it. I guess I was the 'nobody' to mention it first!

Bill Pressler
                                Kent, OH

Bill Pressler
                                Kent, OH
                                All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                                X