No announcement yet.

Studebaker Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Bob, doesn't that dealer address read Idaho? Were there two locations?

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

• There is a Chevy dealership on that corner in Glendale now.

Comment

• I received a piece of marketing history this holiday - a potholder from a Studebaker dealer in Lancaster, PA. The item states:

A Gift for Your Kitchen
        STUDEBAKER
        Sales and Service
        H. LANDIS HILL
        21 East Clay St.
        Lancaster - PA.
        GENERAL REPAIRING
        2-1623

See the potholder here: http://tinyurl.com/9sqreo

Jersey2J | Sacramento, CA
        9G 1950 Studebaker Champion 4-Door Regal DeLuxe
        Visit my Studebaker Site: http://www.studebakerguide.com

Comment

• My name is Rich Truesdell and I am an automotive photojournalist based in Southern California. I just joined this forum as I am working on a feature on a 1958 Studebaker President whose owner lives in Palm Springs.

I just finished going through this thread and was wondering if anyone has any information (address, photos, postcards, etc.) from Palm Springs Studebaker? Although I have already shot the car in front of some period-correct homes from that era, I know that I would re-shoot the car if I knew the exact address of the Studebaker dealership in Palm Springs, even if it's not being used for that purpose today. If you can share any information on Palm Springs Studebaker could you post it here but write me direct as well?

Happy New Year to all,

Richard Truesdell
          Editorial Director, Automotive Traveler
          West Coast Contributing Editor, Cars and Parts
          West Coast Contributing Editor, Musclecar Enthusiast

Comment

• I have been trying to get photos of the studebaker dealer here in Guam for months. It is an adventure in itself, everyone knows where all three were located. No one knows if they were offcial dealers or just importers. The first was apparantly part of a tourist item store taht sold many brands. Then it moved onto (maybe true maybe not) The Calvo family (one of which actualy owns the last studebaker truck on Guam) And then on to the third location the ownership of this one ranges fron a present Toyota dealership, to a Salesman known as Super Chick. Who now lives in florida.

I am still working the spidrer web of knew them, bought one, my uncle had one, i'm related toos (thats a big one here) while i'm waiting on the library renovation to be completed. So i can check the historical files etc.

I do know that a used Packard Hawk was sold here and a mechanic where i work bought a 53 coupe new here. And have many testimonials from locals that the police had larks in the 60's.

The only Stude fun i can have here on Guam is this info hunt. But it is fun and some stude is better than no stude.

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by autotronic

My name is Rich Truesdell and I am an automotive photojournalist based in Southern California. I just joined this forum as I am working on a feature on a 1958 Studebaker President whose owner lives in Palm Springs.
              Sorry for the second post but the last one jumped the raod on me.

That is one bodacious car, it makes a TRI-5 look like a shoe box on zanax.

I'd park that one in my garage anyday. Awesome now i know the answer to the question! "Dude where's my car" Why it's in palm springs silly!

Comment

• Here's another North Carolina dealer; Wayne Johnson Motors, East Harper Avenue, Lenoir, NC 28645. When I was in grade school in the early 1960s I used to walk home right by this dealership. They specialized in Ramblers, but sold Studebakers too. They've been out of business for over 40 years. Another Lenoir dealer; Rooster Bush Pontiac, Chevy and GMC, which is still around by the way, sold at least three new Larks in 1959. I know because I bought one in 1974 from the original owner and it came with the original bill of sale: $2100 for a black 2dr HT V8 Lark with auto trans, 4V carb and dual exhaust. I sold it in 1981.
                edp/NC
                \'63 Avanti
                \'66 Commander

Comment

• Illinois Studebaker Dealers

Morris, Morris Motor Co. 121 W. Main. 1955-1939

Ottawa Dolder's Garage 807 Columbus 1930-1921
                  Studebaker Garage 307 W. Main 1935

LaSalle Lambert Jones Motors 425 2 nd 1952

Submitted by Lark VIII girl

Comment

• Interesting, the Morris and Ottawa dealers are a pretty short hop from me. I should have a looky at the area as it is now(barring I settle a steering issue) as the area then was a very rural region, of which still is. The area now, in particular Morris, in no part thanks to I-80 and I-55 north and south of town, has just exploded in the past couple of years. Judging from the address might be situated with a shopping center on it now, even though the town around it is still rural.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000145-1.jpg[/img=left][IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                    [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

• here are some Studebaker dealers, maybe already on the list.

murray motor co, salt lake city, they sold studebaker/packard and germany cars from 1954 to 1963
                      [img][/img]
                      [img][/img]

and from CA.
                      [img][/img]

jan lundin sweden

Comment

• Great pix Jan. I wonder if anyone in SLC can confirm if Murray Motors, or a successor dealership, is currently the MBZ dealer in SLC. Can any SLC members confirm?

Has anyone able to help me in my search for info on Palm Spring's Studebaker dealership in the fifties?

Thanks,

Richard Truesdell
                        Editorial Director, Automotive Traveler
                        West Coast Contributing Editor, Cars and Parts
                        West Coast Contributing Editor, Musclecar Enthusiast

Comment

• In Ephrata, PA there was one called Butzer Bros. Studebaker. It was where the new Fire Hall stands now. They also sold Mercedes there.

Comment

• K57--

A Borgward dealership! How cool is that. In '61, shortly before Borgward folded under circumstances faintly like Studebaker's a few years later, there was briefly some interest on the part of Studebaker-Packard in possibly making use of the Borgward group's facilities. Of course that idea, like many others, came to nothing, and neither marque would survive the decade.

I saw a light-blue Borgward Isabella 2dr sedan sitting forlornly in a farmyard in Glanbrook, just south of Hamilton, while I was cycling through the countryside many years ago. I knew what it was, and was astonished to see one just sitting there. Have long wondered what became of it. It's still the only Borgward I've ever seen, but I recently found out my across-the-street neighbour used to drive an Isabella TS coupe! (He broached that topic one day last summer while I was messing about with my Lark in front of my house; never know where a bit of Studebakering will lead, eh. Wish the gent still had the Borgward: it'd be a real eyecatcher on the cruise circuit. He did give me a couple pictures of it. Pretty car. Bit Nash-like from the front; sideview favours a slightly oversized Karmann Ghia.)

Thanks for posting those very interesting shots!

S.

Comment

• our local Studebaker dealer,they even sold Borgward Isabella,a very popular car in Sweden
                              [img][/img]

here is another photo from Murray Motor in SLC.
                              [img][/img]

jan lundin Sweden

Comment

• Hemmings wants to play, too:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...g-in-disguise/

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
                                In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
                                If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

Working...
                                X