Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker Dealers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Here's an Invoice for a 1939 Studebaker from Block Motors in Philadelphia. The car still lives in a barn in Hamburg, PA and is for sale but will need total restoration. If interested let me know.

    [img][/img]
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

    Comment


    • quote:Originally posted by lstude
      Here is a picture of the Koop Motors building. I think the building is gone now.
      I understand that there are still some cars from that dealership in the woods off either Huguenot Springs or Three Bridges Roads.

      Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

      See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

      Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

      Comment


      • Victoria Motor Sales
        13505 Jos. Campau Ave
        Detroit 12, Michigan

        I have a brochure for 1962 with their name stamped on the cover

        Don

        Comment


        • What a fabulous thread.

          Two more from my hunt for info relevant to my Hamilton-built '62 Lark...

          Adams Service Centre, 103 Doxsee Avenue, Campbellford, Ontario; this is where my Lark was sold new in May or June of '62...the street name is misspelled "Doxee" on the PO. Ironically there was an SDC roadtrip this past spring through Campbellford...but the Lark wasn't (and isn't) ready for any jaunt that lengthy yet...

          And out of curiosity, went to the Hamilton library to check a '62 city directory to see who was selling Studes here at the time my car was built. An old suspicion proved correct: the main Stude vendor in Hamilton was Gulliver Motors on Cannon Street East. I knew Gullivers as a Volvo/Mercedes/Subaru dealer in the 70s and early 80s; they once handled Jaguar and even Rolls-Royce as well. Most recently (late 80s) the dealership was VW, with a different name. The building was still standing last time I went by there. Sometime I'll get a shot of my Lark alongside...

          Keep all the wonderful nostalgia coming!

          S.

          Comment


          • quote:Originally posted by Steve T

            What a fabulous thread.

            Two more from my hunt for info relevant to my Hamilton-built '62 Lark...

            Adams Service Centre, 103 Doxsee Avenue, Campbellford, Ontario; this is where my Lark was sold new in May or June of '62...the street name is misspelled "Doxee" on the PO. Ironically there was an SDC roadtrip this past spring through Campbellford...but the Lark wasn't (and isn't) ready for any jaunt that lengthy yet...

            And out of curiosity, went to the Hamilton library to check a '62 city directory to see who was selling Studes here at the time my car was built. An old suspicion proved correct: the main Stude vendor in Hamilton was Gulliver Motors on Cannon Street East. I knew Gullivers as a Volvo/Mercedes/Subaru dealer in the 70s and early 80s; they once handled Jaguar and even Rolls-Royce as well. Most recently (late 80s) the dealership was VW, with a different name. The building was still standing last time I went by there. Sometime I'll get a shot of my Lark alongside...

            Keep all the wonderful nostalgia coming!

            S.
            I agree what a fabulous thread![8D] Keep the names and pictures coming! Hope all is well with everyone.

            Randy_G
            1959 Lark Sedan
            www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com

            Comment


            • Randy, I hope as we post more and more dealers here that you are updating your list on your own site as it is a valuable road trip tool for those who love to go exploring.

              See you in the future as I write about our past
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

              Comment


              • quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

                Here's an Invoice for a 1939 Studebaker from Block Motors in Philadelphia.
                [img][/img]
                Don: Can anyone else read the last line of that invoice?

                It appears to say:

                Title, Transfer of Tags, Additional Horse Power: $7.20

                Was Pennsylvania one of the states that taxed a car on one of the "horsepower" formulas and this car was thus subject to a surcharge for some reason?

                If so, shades of our Luxury and Gas Guzzler taxes now! BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

                Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

                G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

                Comment


                • Bob, you are correct!!!! That's what the invoiceice says. I was surprised when I got the invoice from the son of the original owner. This car stil exists and is not to far from me. I am going to go look at it as it has been in a barn for a while and if it is a restorable piece I may just buy it. I also find the line item on the invoice for a thermos is also interesting. Sure would like to know what that is all about. Here it is again and easier to read

                  [img][/img]
                  sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

                  Comment


                  • quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

                    Bob, you are correct!!!! That's what the invoiceice says. I was surprised when I got the invoice from the son of the original owner. This car stil exists and is not to far from me. I am going to go look at it as it has been in a barn for a while and if it is a restorable piece I may just buy it. I also find the line item on the invoice for a thermos is also interesting. Sure would like to know what that is all about. Here it is again and easier to read

                    [img][/img]
                    Don: I strongly suspect that "2 Gal Thermo" would have been a brand name of anti-freeze. At $1 per gallon, it might have been alcohol-based, not what was then known as "permanent."

                    Back to the original question: Was there a horsepower formula in effect for road taxes in Pennsylvania at the time? And if so, what horrible, pavement-pounding violation [:0] would a 1939 President have exacted on the fragile, depression-era roads of Pennsylvania?

                    (And as an aside, I think allowing the buyer almost a third of the President's total price for a 1933 Chevrolet was a generous allowance indeed!) BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

                    Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

                    G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

                    Comment


                    • Bob, never gave tge Anti-Freeze a thought but I suspect you are correct on that one. As for the Horse Power Tax it may have been in the city of Philadelphia but I'll have to research that to make sure. I found it odd when I looked at the invoice for the first time but haven't had a chance to check it out. Also interesting to note that the Salesman was the owner. Also the son who sent me the invoice drove this car to and from college during his college days. I'll research the Horse Power tax issue and lwt you know.

                      See you in the future as I write about our past
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

                      Comment


                      • quote:Originally posted by Avantidon
                        This car stil exists and is not to far from me. I am going to go look at it as it has been in a barn for a while and if it is a restorable piece I may just buy it.
                        It would also be fortunate if those accessories are still on the car, such as the fog lights, bumper guards, and the fender guides.

                        Craig

                        Comment


                        • what horrible, pavement-pounding violation would a 1939 President have exacted on the fragile, depression-era roads of Pennsylvania?

                          Bob.....the last time i drove in pennsylvania (1973) the pennsylvania turnpike was the worst roads (next to arizona) for the entire cross-country trip! Musta been those roudy Studebakers!

                          60 Lark convertible
                          61 Champ
                          62 Daytona convertible
                          63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2)
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

                          Comment


                          • Craig I'm going to find out very soon and I'll let you know. Warren, as for the PA Turnpike drive it now or better yet as you come to the 44th Annual International Meet I think you might change your mind. Yes, I know it's a long way from Riverside.
                            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

                            Comment


                            • I saw a promotional calendar for a Colteryahn Studebaker located at 2510 Brownsville Road(Carrick). The calendar was from the late forties or early fifties. The building still exist, and looks like a car showroom, but I don't actually remember the dealership. Also Mervis Motors was located in the Carrick part of Pittsburgh when it sold Studebakers. When it moved to Oakland, I think it was only selling Mercedes Benz.

                              Comment


                              • Bumping this one up in order to correct myself! It seems I mentally telescoped my recollections of two Hamilton dealerships into one: Gulliver's at 505 Cannon Street East (which sold Studes in the early 60s) did NOT become a VW outlet, and is NOT still standing. The VW dealership, now a garage, also on Cannon but further west, was Nethercott-Lee VW until the late 80s. I shot several photos of my Lark there, under the mistaken recollection that that had been Gulliver's! Gulliver Motors was closed down by the mid-80s, having last sold Volvos and Subarus, and the building itself is now gone...replaced with one of Hamilton's ubiquitous Tim Hortons donut shops. (Tim Horton himself was once a Stude dealer...but that is not a sufficient link to cause a Lark photo shoot at Hortons!)[8)]

                                S.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X