No announcement yet.

Studebaker Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randy, thanks to you for keeping the list going, and thanks to all for posting dealership names and especially photos. I think at the dealership level is where the public's perception of Studebaker really took place.

I wish I could post photos here...just a matter of learning, I guess..but here is a link, from Gary Ash's site, that shows a '47 photo of the Carl E. Filer Co. You'll need to scroll down a bit to see it:

www.studegarage.com/sign.htm

It was an L-shaped building, where the service bays in back were wider than the showroom. There were six individual bays in back, each with an overhead door, with a tall door for big trucks in the center. It had a large, curved parts counter inside. The building now is a laundromat, but the service dept. area in back is largely intact. I have some neat old color photos of the place, inside and out, from 1950-66. Again, I'll have to learn to post them. The bracing that held the round sign in the photo, as well as the bracing that held the large neon vertical "Studebaker" sign at street level, and also the "Official Pennsylvania Inspection Station" sign which was out front, in place, are still present. In 2004, I retrieved the door from the sales floor to the Parts Dept. that has a large red-ball "Studebaker" emblem with "Parts and Accessories" written around it. It now serves as a desk in my office. The "New Miracle Ride Studebakers" sign on the Service Dept. restroom door is still there, although crumbles to the touch.

I also bid on a current item on eBay, that is a 1940 Stude postcard sent from Carl E. Filer to a prospective customer. A small item, but what's the chance??! I only found it by searching on my hometown. Otherwise, I'd have never waded through all the Studebaker stuff to find it. For those of you interested in your hometown dealer, I'd recommend searching eBay with your hometown name. I'd post a link, but I can't seem to do it without my eBay sign-in ID showing up. It's item no. 220203317526.

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

• Please add to list "Downtown Studebaker" located at 760 West Peachtree St. Atlanta, Ga. and owned by Bill Spreen who also had a VW dealership down the street. I worked in the parts department under Mr. Oscar Nix in 1965. Sadly I have no pictures. Thanks. Michael Hopper

M.hopinfox/Kennesaw,Ga.
      62 Hawk
      63 Champ
      64 Commander
      64 Hawk
      jealous wife

Comment

• There was Al Hundt motors on So Kinnickinnic Av, Milwaukee WI From late 40s to 60s. Became carpet store ,and then a restauant. Had a ampicar in the showroom at one point. Took it down to lake Michigan and water up to the top of the doors. Also was a studebaker Dealer possibly, before the present dealer.

Had a 50 packard once.
        Last edited by 14x7; 04-17-2014, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• Eberstein Motor Sales in Climax, Michigan (my '62 Hawk was sold from Eberstein Motors)

Closson Motors in Santa Fe, NM (my home town's Stude dealer)

1949 2R5 truck
          1962 GT Hawk
          1950 Champion Starlight (project)
          Santa Fe, NM
          1949 2R5 truck
          1962 GT Hawk
          projects: 50 Champion Starlight, 62 Lark Daytona, 61 Lark Cruiser VIII, 63 Wagonaire

Santa Fe, NM

Comment

• Here it is Frankenstein! The monster is back! [)] Kidding, I have been hard at work redesigning the list. I had to make it easier on myself to add names to it. As it was adding a name to the list was no picnic, so the new list is up. And the best part of all this is I'm caught up!,,,, ok having said that, you go to see your name on the list and it's not there. [}] Names that had no city names didn't get posted and I can't e-mail you and ask because my computer died. I saved the names but not who sent them to me. So if your name isn't on the list and we all want it there, please resend it and be sure to have the items on the list below.

1.Name
            2.City
            3.State
            4.What brands did they sell besides Studebaker.
            5 Country if it's not from the USA.

Once again I want to thank everyone that has sent a name/photo/decal of there dealer's. I hope everyone will enjoy this list. I know there are still more names out there, I have more to post from sheets of paper I have gotten in the snail mail. Those are going to be posted next!

Randy_G
            Keeper of the flame er List...
            http://www.automotivehistoryonline.c...lerPackard.htm

Comment

• Cahoon Motors in Yakima, Wa. Also Juris Motors in Cle Elum, Wa.

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by Bob Langer

This is a photo of Langer Brothers in West View,PA. Not sure of date but there are two 1964 Studebakers and one Jeep in the showroom.

This photo was taken before Langer Brothers was a Studebaker dealer.

Back left is my uncle Ed,next to him is my dad Frank,fourth is my uncle Al and next to him is my uncle Red.Front row left is my Grandfather, and the young lady is my cousin Marion.

Bob Langer
                63 Avanti
                Glenshaw,PA
                Great photos, Bob. Thanks for posting. Did you notice the car next to the people being a Willys, probably a circa-1953 Aero? Note, too, the Willys showroom banner behind them. (Good that those photos survived; take good care of them!) BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Randy here is another PA Dealer for you

Landis Hill Studebaker
                  East Clay Street
                  Lancaster
                  PA

Sold both Studebakers and Packards

The building still exists and picture will be taken ASAP as it includes the Lazy S logo in the brick work
                  sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

• Here's another PA Dealer for you

Name: Reheard Motors
                    City: Mt Joy until 1948 then Columbia
                    State: PA

Sold Studebakers
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

• Here's a Minnesota Studebaker dealer not on the list:

Schrader's Garage, Herman, Minnesota

This was once owned by the family of one of our North Star Chapter members. He's pretty sure he has photos and will get one to me, which I will pass along.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
                      Woodbury, Minnesota
                      sigpic
                      Bob Shaw
                      Rush City, Minnesota
                      1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                      "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

• Armacost Dealership 1401 Baltimore Kansas City MO Empty lot today.

Another view of Armacost Dealership, adjacent to President hotel, across the street is the power and light skyscraper present day.

Riley Studebaker 2610 Grand, currently Crown Center building is on original location.

All courtacy of the Kansas city public library.

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

• While in nearby Harrisburg, PA with work this week, I drove the ten minutes from my hotel to see the Camplese Studebaker dealership. Pretty amazing building! Not included in Jim's photos, below, are a view from out back of the building, where you can see the 'shadow' of lettering that had said "Studebaker" in script. There was a '62 GT peering out from the garage door with windows underneath the Sinclair sign, and an old forlorn-looking Fiat sports model (not sure which) sitting to one side of the showroom.

Incidentally, this was another Stude dealer, as mentioned above, that sold Fiat. We had another post that commented on how Stude dealers also seemed to turn to the non-VW, non-Toyota, non-Datsun imports quite a bit.

Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          quote:Originally posted by Rerun

Another dealer comes to mind...
                          Paul Camplese & Son
                          2901 Walnut St.
                          Penbrook, PA (near Harrisburg).

We visited the now vacant dealership a few years ago, and there were still several Studebakers on the property. The office still had a picture of Mr. Camplese, a print of the South Bend factory, and a Service Award hanging on the wall. In the garage area were a couple more Studebakers and some assorted Studebaker parts. I found this dealership of particular interest since my Daytona was delivered there in September of '63.

Jim Bradley
                          Lewistown PA
                          '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
                          Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

• I think I provided the name for the list, but does anybody know if Hunt Motor Co., Laurens, SC, is still around? In around '84 I was coming into town to do a store audit and saw the building with big blue vertical "Studebaker" neon sign out front, and two '66's in the showroom (later seen to be pretty used). A kindly older gentleman came from out back and said he leased the shop out back for his radiator shop. I'm pretty sure I remember he had a '61 Lark Cruiser himself out back there (his own). The showroom had Studebaker stuff still on the walls, and the Parts Dept. had the parts book base with Studebaker logo on it (sixties-style). Haven't seen anyone post any pictures of the place...is it still around?

Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

• Hi Randy,

Sorry for the delay. I haven't been watching this thread for a while. Here are some photos of Covert's Garage:

I grew up in Neshanic, so I saw a lot of Studebakers and John Deere tractors. While my family owned neither back then, I own both now.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
                              Hummelstown, PA

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
                              Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

• I saw this dealer on ebay: John Kudas & Sons Bentleyville Pennsylvania

BRAD

Comment

Working...
                                X