Studebaker Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quote:[i]Originally posted by jnewkirk77
    ...EDIT: Paul Johnson, if you're reading this, you touched a nerve when you mentioned the dealers in the Iola, Garnett and Bronson areas of Kansas a while back. Ginger (my lovely wife) is an Iola native and we still get back there once or twice a year to visit her family members (the "outlaws" as I call 'em!) who still live in the area. Would be neat to see if any of the old buildings still exist....
    I missed this earlier. I think all three dealership buildings still exist, but with no trace of their Studebaker history. I think Habiger Motors in Iola is now a plumbing supply business, the old Bronson dealer was located in a quonset building on US 54. Last time I saw it the local elevator had it half full of grain. I was able to collect several banners that were hanging from the higher walls (but passed on the big neon Studebaker sign hanging in front[V]). Anderson Motors in Garnett became a Ford dealer then, when the two brothers died, the son sold out to the local Chevrolet dealer and both Chevrolet and Ford moved to a new-style lot on the edge of town as a combined Chevrolet-Ford dealership. I think the old dealership building was being used for a machine shop.
    In Iola, the Studebaker dealer was right across the street from an ancient Chrysler-Plymouth dealer (Arbuckles?). It was an old two-story dealership with a basement. I'd loved to have seen the MoPar gold that must have been in that building when they shut down a few years ago (I think they had been a dealer since Walter P first produced a car).

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
    Museum R-4 engine
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

• I won on Ebay a 1941 Studebaker Truck catalog. On Ebay it did not show the rubber stamp that was on the front.

Jimmy Choo
      Representing
      Honolulu Studebaker

I have a feeling that the only items to arrive at the dealership were the catalogs

Comment

• I used to work for Ernie at Ernie McKay's. 750 Chicago Ave. Evanston, Il. In the old firehouse. If my old friend Clyde is passed on, I might be the last mechanic.

Comment

• Paul J. -- Thanks for the update; I believe you're right on the name of the C-P dealer. Will have to look at a picture of my wife as a young girl next to the bumper of her late grandmother's '78 Fury, because the name is on there and fairly clear.

It's looking like we're not going to get back to KS for the holidays this year, as the Mrs. has started a new job, but I will check with her aunt about perhaps getting me some pics to post.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

Currently driving an '87 Ford F-150, but I dream of having a Hawk one day. Don't we all?

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

• Jacob: Excellent reporting and detail. Interesting, and much appreciated! BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by jnewkirk77
              I did some research at the library in the old city directories and found A&M Motor Sales.
              I would really like to know just how many dealers went under the name "A&M Motors".[8D] Or course we have Tony Carella's famous Bronx dealership under that name, and there was a dealer in Edmonton under that name as well that sold Studebaker at one time. Now we get to read about another dealer with the name "A&M".[:0]

Craig

Comment

• Thanks, Bob!

Craig: I thought the same thing when I found the A&M here in Owensboro. I've been unsuccessful in locating the names of the owners thus far ... might that info be found in the Archives?

I do have some sad news to relate as an update to my previous post. An EF-3 tornado ripped through Owensboro on October 18 and damaged or destroyed most of the buildings in the immediate area where the dealership used to be, including the old tobacco warehouse that I believe housed A&M. Fortunately, although the property damage is extensive, only eight people were injured and no one was killed.

But it would seem that yet another piece of Studebaker history is now gone. :-(

Currently driving an '87 Ford F-150, but I dream of having a Hawk one day. Don't we all?

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

• I bought three Studebaker Wheel magazines and a sales flyer for the 1953 models today.

The 1953 flyer is from:
                  Bill Dunn, Inc
                  2023 Market St.
                  Youngstown 7, Ohio
                  phone: St. 86511

Two of the Wheel magazines are from 1931 and 1932. The dealers name is

White Motor Sales, Inc
                  10 Lackawanna Plazq
                  Montclair, New Jeresy

The 1937 Wheel does not have a dealers name on it.

Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO
                  President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                  Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO

Comment

• we had Baker Auto Sales in Hillsboro,Ohio , he sold Studebaker and Plymouth on his lot, My dad bought a new 64 Studebaker 4 dr. and late 65 traded it to the same lot on a new 65 Fury III 4 door. the building and lot are still in same place, but has nothing to do with dealership now.

Randy Wilkin
                    Randy Wilkin
                    1946 M5 Streetrod
                    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by showbizkid

Just found this one, on an eBay auction for some Lark lit: Collier Auto Sales, 888 North Orange Avenue, Orlando, Florida
                      I was in Orlando yesterday and stopped to look for this building. It still stands! It is for sale and a called the salesman to get a little info on it.

It was built in 1946 and confirmed the building had been used as a car dealership. The selling price is 1.3 million. While this may be quite expensive, the property is in downtown Orlando, where the price of real estate is escalating.

Here it is now...

Here's the interesting thing. On the side of the building, through the paint and stucko, you can still see where the windows and doors were. I can only assume the main service entrance was in the rear and the exited at a service door on the side street. These only make themselves visible on the north side of the building. I checked the south side, and these shadows are not visible.

I always thought it would be cool living in an old dealership. Unfortunately, the cost of this one makes it prohibitive. If someone is interested in it, the salesman is Kevin Logue and his phone number is 321-689-2655.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

• Nice followup, Tom! Thanks for the pics. The new facade can't hide what that building started out as!

Here's another one from eBay I just found: Fleigh Motor Corp., Hagerstown, Missouri. (Sorry, no address.)

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                        '63 F2/Lark Standard
                        http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                        www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

• 3 more dealers in Canada.Southern Motors ,Regina Sask. Vals Garrage Dystart Sask. Guests Ltd. 1 stave&25th.st. Saskatoon Sask.

gh

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by showbizkid

Just found this whilst Googling:

Identified as Center Line Motor Sales, Center Line, Michigan, corner of Van Dyke and Qualmann. Love those bulletnoses!

As mentioned earlier, I'll see if there is anything left next week when I head home for Turkey Day. Both Grissom St. and Qualmann are not on the map. The county library isn't too far so I'll see if the have any older maps as most of the cars are '50/'51 models.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

• I came across a couple of pictures of A.D. Motor Co. which was located on West Liberty Ave. in Pittsburgh, PA. It was owned by A.D. Buck. The building is currently occupied by Rohrich Cadillac.

Jim Bradley
                              Lewistown PA
                              '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
                              Jim Bradley
                              Lake Monticello, VA
                              '78 Avanti II
                              sigpic

Comment

• My 53 studebaker still has the imprint of the original dealer sticker. HALL MOTORS, GLASGOW KENTUCKY. The production order has 5 GLASGOW KY. Can anyone help me with information or pictures. Bill of sales, etc. ANYTHING? There doesen't seem to be a lot of Studebaker intrest in Alabama. Any Ideas

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Working...
                                X