No announcement yet.

Studebaker Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't it amazing how many dealer photos are from the 2 year bullet nose era?

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by lstude

If I can go back to the Newman & Altman Dealership, I have found specs on the Econ-O-Miler and there was a two tone option

Leonard Shepherd
      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Thanks! But at least it is in writing that there actually was a two-tone option in 1959 for the Larks.

Craig

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

quote:Originally posted by lstude

If I can go back to the Newman & Altman Dealership, I have found specs on the Econ-O-Miler and there was a two tone option

Leonard Shepherd

Thanks! But at least it is in writing that there actually was a two-tone option in 1959 for the Larks.

Craig
        What identifies that sheet as a 1959? It could just as well have been for 1960 and not 1959 from what I see. It may be 1959, I just don't see how to identify it as such.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by studegary

Craig
          What identifies that sheet as a 1959? It could just as well have been for 1960 and not 1959 from what I see. It may be 1959, I just don't see how to identify it as such.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          [/quote]

I am trusting that Leonard posted a sheet for 1959, since that is the year in question; much as I would trust you if it was you that posted documentation that didn't have a year on it. It is definitely NOT 1958 as the 6 cylinder engine would have been a 185 cubic inch displacement. But keep in mind, regular production 1960 Larks weren't two-toned either.

Craig

Comment

• quote:I am trusting that Leonard posted a sheet for 1959, since that is the year in question; much as I would trust you if it was you that posted documentation that didn't have a year on it. It is definitely NOT 1958 as the 6 cylinder engine would have been a 185 cubic inch displacement. But keep in mind, regular production 1960 Larks weren't two-toned either.

Craig
            That sheet was loose in my 59/60 Lark folder, so I am not sure if it is 59 or 60. The pictures on the back of the sheet are confusing too. The top drawing looks like a 59 and the bottom one looks like a 60. Actually I labeled the sheet 1960 when I scanned it.

Here is the back.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

• That page IS from the 1960 Facts Book. Does anyone have a '59 book with a Fleet Section? Mine doesn't have one, and the pages are in numerical sequence, making me think there is no Fleet Section in the '59 book.

Dwain G.
              So.....if I'm 'pre-approved' why do you want me to fill out an application?

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

That page IS from the 1960 Facts Book. Does anyone have a '59 book with a Fleet Section? Mine doesn't have one, and the pages are in numerical sequence, making me think there is no Fleet Section in the '59 book.

Dwain G.
                I also have a 1959 Lark Facts Book, and it does NOT have a Fleet Section, either. I do have a 1959 Econ-O-Miler brochure, and it shows a two-toned car on the cover, but there is nothing about paint finishes at all in the specifications on the back.

Craig

Comment

• Just remembered another one in Pennsylvania: Ramsey Studebaker, Zelienople, PA. Just north of Zelienople on U.S. Route 19. The building still stands, but I haven't been by there in a while and can't remember what it's being used for now. Not sure how long they were in business. They were there during the Lark era at least.

Dave Bonn
                  '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

• Did anyone else notice the misplaced asterisk in the V-8 engine specifications? According to the footnote, the 259 engine puts out 265 HP @ 3000 RPM with a 4-bbl carb [:0]-[:0] that's more than an R1 a few years later! [:0][:0] (Obviously, the asterisk was supposed to be by the torque rating, not the horsepower rating.) BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• quoteid anyone else notice the misplaced asterisk in the V-8 engine specifications? According to the footnote, the 259 engine puts out 265 HP @ 3000 RPM with a 4-bbl carb - that's more than an R1 a few years later! (Obviously, the asterisk was supposed to be by the torque rating, not the horsepower rating.) BP
                      Go to Top of Page
                      Good eye Bob! [:0]

I looked back through my "crapola" and found a 59 fleet brochure. It does not say anything about a two tone option so I guess we are back at square one.

Here are the options:
                      I wonder why there is as asterisk by undercoating when it is standard equipment. Did they undercoat all the cars and make the customer pay extra for it?

They also got the asterisck correct

Here is the spec page

Here are some of the inside pages

There is no emblem on the wagon grille, but there are emblems on the others.

It seems strange that they included the Hawk in the fleet brochure.

Here is the cover just FYI

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

• I guess that '59 Lark Wagon prototype was built either while it was known as "Model X" before naming, or before the new Hawk emblems were available or decided on for use on the new Lark! [:0]

Also Leonard, the Utility Wagon and Sedanette sheet has the '59 "Studebaker" script on both, instead of the lark VI or VIII, even though they airbrushed the 2dr.'s rear fender moulding to be a '60 and missed the Panel Wagon!

Still does not prove what year it was, but it's looking like a '60 made from a '59 which was very common as you know in their literature!

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

• Great stuff Istude!!!

Was the Utility sedan a 2 or 4 door? The drawing looks like two but to load stuff a four door might have been better.

Do any survive or has anoyone recreated one?

And I'd guess not many firms bought Silver Hawks as company cars.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

• I think you might have missed the point J; it's a business coupe! Look at Leonard's first post of the Lark Panel Wagon, it clearly shows and says it's a 2dr. with a low shelf, copied after the old "business coupe" high shelf! [^]

One of the reasons for a 2dr. would be the cost, cheaper and lighter than a 4dr.!

You could have a good suggestion with the 4dr. but Studebaker did not think so!

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

Was the Utility sedan a 2 or 4 door? The drawing looks like two but to load stuff a four door might have been better.
                            StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

You could have a good suggestion with the 4dr. but Studebaker did not think so!

StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              Funny you mention that!! I recall in the seventies and eighties, you could order a 4-door Chevrolet truck less a back seat. It was called 'Bonus Cab' in their literature.

Craig

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by lstude

I looked back through my "crapola" and found a 59 fleet brochure. It does not say anything about a two tone option so I guess we are back at square one.

Yep, as Bob P. says, one must look at the production order to find out if the second color was farmed out, or painted 'in house'.

Here is the 1959 Econ-O-Miler brochure. Like the general fleet brochure, there is no mention of colors, and in this case, the car on the cover is a black & white photo with colorization added.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X