Studebaker Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
    Well, it isn't Boron...that was Standard Oil .....
    Hate to disagree but, it was DX.

Check out Macdonald and Associates and their series of old commercials. See paragraph 2.5 for many DX ads with Boron...
    http://www.macfilms.com/TV%20Auto%20Commericals.htm

They say they license the films for use in documentaries and commercial productions, they don't sell to the general public. Too bad, I'd love to see some of them.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

• Indeed, John; you got me! Now, I'm trying to remember what special name Standard Oil used that was similar to that....[?]

('Spent all of my gas-station days in a variety of Shell Stations...anybody want to take a stab at what the acronym TCP stood for, as used in Shell Gasolines? [?]) BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Bob, Boron was indeed Standard Oil's brand outside of Ohio. I grew up in NW Pennsylvania and we had a Boron station, as did other nearby larger towns. The signage was identical to those seen in nearby Ohio as "Sohio" stations, except the word "Sohio" (Standard Oil of Ohio) was replaced by "Boron".

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH (originally Greenville, PA)
        '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

• Was it Sohio?
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

anybody want to take a stab at what the acronym TCP stood for, as used in Shell Gasolines? [?]) BP
            Triphenyl Phosphate - Do I win????

Oops...., in earlier formulations it was Tricresyl Phosphate. No matter which one you deal with, they are powerful neurotoxins.

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

Bob, Boron was indeed Standard Oil's brand outside of Ohio. I grew up in NW Pennsylvania and we had a Boron station, as did other nearby larger towns. The signage was identical to those seen in nearby Ohio as "Sohio" stations, except the word "Sohio" (Standard Oil of Ohio) was replaced by "Boron".

Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH (originally Greenville, PA)
              '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
              WHEW! Thanks a million, Bill! I was certain I had seen Boron associated with Standard Oil!

('Next time you are over, you get an extra 1964 Palma-Riverside Ford book of matches.) BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by Guido

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
                anybody want to take a stab at what the acronym TCP stood for, as used in Shell Gasolines? [?]) BP
                Triphenyl Phosphate - Do I win????

Close enough, Gary; I believe it was Tri-Crystal Phosphate. But I am just enough uncertain of the exact spelling that you win the atta boy.

So as Bill Engval would say, "Here's your sign:" ATTA BOY!

(I'll be attending a big Labor Day Antique Tractor Pull Saturday afternoon in quaint North Salem IN and will be thinking of all you antique farm machinery enthusiasts...and pullin' for Oliver!) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

• I am sure Newman & Altman dealership in South Bend, IN is already on the list, but I will post this picture.

Leonard Shepherd
                  http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

• OK, Eagle Beagles(?)[]: What non-regular-production option (two, if you want to stretch the technicality) is clearly shown on the first three cars, and is probably on the fourth as well? [?] BP

[quote

Leonard Shepherd

[/quote]

Ayn Rand:

Comment

• Painted headlamp rings, grille surrounds and a tu-tone painted roof (black). Do I get some cotton candy at Lancaster []?

Edit: These look like they may have been painted red. Possibly these were for the SB Fire Department?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1903.98)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Painted headlamp rings, grille surrounds and a tu-tone painted roof (black). Do I get some cotton candy at Lancaster []?

Edit: These look like they may have been painted red. Possibly these were for the SB Fire Department?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1903.98)
                        TOM: Good observations, and correct as to the question at hand.

The body-color grille surrounds and headlamp rims (doors, to be correct) only indicate the cars are base DeLuxe models, not Regals.

However, the two-tone paint, with what appear to be black roofs, was indeed the non-regular-production option. The fact that the wheels are not painted the primary body color was the second technical deviation.

(For the candy at Lancaster, Tom, you'll have to stop -no pun intended- at Jim Turner's Brake Booth. I'll probably be helping him and if he has any candy, I'll see that you get some...) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

However, the two-tone paint, with what appear to be black roofs, was indeed the non-regular-production option. The fact that the wheels are not painted the primary body color was the second technical deviation.

Do you think those roofs got painted at the factory? Or would some South Bend body shop have done them before they got to the dealers?
                          The reason I ask is the factory was on overtime that year, and probably would have found every excuse in the book NOT to paint a car two-tone, although the trucks could be had two toned until 1964.

Craig

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Do you think those roofs got painted at the factory? Or would some South Bend body shop have done them before they got to the dealers?
                            The reason I ask is the factory was on overtime that year, and probably would have found every excuse in the book NOT to paint a car two-tone, although the trucks could be had two toned until 1964.

Craig
                            You'd have to check the Production Order to be sure, Craig, but it would be my opinion that they would have been two-toned at the factory, especially for a multi-vehicle fleet order as this appears to be.

Too, it would have been easier to "alternate-paint" the wheels as part of the cars' original assembly line build order, than to have them painted after the fact. [xx(] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

• Here is a picture of a Paris Ontario , Canada dealership , Buzzell Motor Sales.Picture is from Jan who lives in the area.
                              Also a book of matches from same dealer.

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

1950 2R5
                              1960 Lark 2dr
                              1960 Champ
                              1964 Daytona HT
                              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

• quote: quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Craig

You'd have to check the Production Order to be sure, Craig, but it would be my opinion that they would have been two-toned at the factory, especially for a multi-vehicle fleet order as this appears to be.
                                If I can go back to the Newman & Altman Dealership, I have found specs on the Econ-O-Miler and there was a two tone option

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Working...
                                X