No announcement yet.

Studebaker Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I noticed ED Comitz Studebaker in Tucson,AZ.listed on your list.My 62 GT.still has the sticker imprint on the trunk overlay that reads ED comitz Studebaker.Tucson,AZ.

Comment

• By the way,I am not in Uzbekistan,where ever that is,I am in Greenwood,SC

Comment

• I saw this sticker on the back of a 63 Lark. Mason Studebaker is in Timberville, VA and is now a Dodge Dealer.

Comment

• Bondo Bill; that Long Island Dealership has to be one of the (3): Flushing, Bayside and Elmhurst Long Island Helms Bros. Inc. Dealerships (2) on Northern Ave.(1) on 43rd. where my '62 Transtar was sold!

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by lstude

I saw this sticker on the back of a 63 Lark. Mason Studebaker is in Timberville, VA and is now a Dodge Dealer.
            In about 1974 I went to see Carroll Mason about buying his Studebaker parts. He wasn't interested in selling as he was still servicing a number of Studebakers (had a '50 Commander in the shop then). I went back some time later and Mr. Mason wasn't there and his shop foreman let me look around. Most of the parts had been moved upstairs. While Leonard's picture shows a modern-looking building, it was actually an old-fashioned dealership that used an elevator to move new cars to the second floor for storage. When I walked in to that big space cars stored there included a black Packard Hawk with 10,000 miles on it, a gold '63 Avanti, a pristine '59 Lark and a '62 GT. No, I didn't get the parts. Several years ago Mr. Mason's son called the late Jim Heiple and offered him the parts. Mr Mason's son has the Avanti and (hearsay) the Packard Hawk got moved to a dirt-floored barn and has deteriorated. I don't know what happened to the Lark and Hawk.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
            Museum R-4 engine
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Bondo Bill; that Long Island Dealership has to be one of the (3): Flushing, Bayside and Elmhurst Long Island Helms Bros. Inc. Dealerships (2) on Northern Ave.(1) on 43rd. where my '62 Transtar was sold!

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              I would think that the Studebaker dealership that Bill posted would be much further out on Long Island (Nassau or Suffolk Counties), not in New York City (Queens and Kings/Brooklyn Counties). There were many Studebaker dealerships on Long Island. There were also other Studebaker dealerships on the Long Island part of New York City, such as the one where my father-in-law bought his 1949 Champion new (Seneca Avenue [?], Ridgewood, Queens County). He bought his new 1963 Cruiser in Babylon, Suffolk County.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

• Feldmen (Feldman?) was very close to the Boston parts distrubution warehouse. It was there that I saw what a poorly done tow job could do to an avanti. It was also there that I saw a jack-up-in-the-rear Lark. The tiklt was done by a 4x4 jambed between the axle and the frame.

Viskik Bos was in the Milton / Roselindale area, near the home of the greatly-missed SheldonHenderson. Seconf-generation brothers Lenny and Martin (?) did the work. he latter taught be about brass nuts in at exhaust manifolds and when I tld lenny that I needed a certain part, he went,"Hmmm, That's a 1743819, walked along a corridor, reached behind a box on the top shwel and tossed me one. No charge.

Side note Lenny imported a London Bus. When he told a freind, the friend asked, "How much profit did you make on the shipping?"
                Lenny had no idea what the frind was talkig about. The friend said, "The bus is a big box. You should have contacted a broker, who would have filled it with small packages for his customers and you and him would have maade a enough to ship the bus and split a small profit."
                IOIRC, Lenny did that on the second bus and did make a profit.

All were nice guys

Karl

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by sumf

Feldmen (Feldman?) was very close to the Boston parts distrubution warehouse. It was there that I saw what a poorly done tow job could do to an avanti. It was also there that I saw a jack-up-in-the-rear Lark. The tiklt was done by a 4x4 jambed between the axle and the frame.

Viskik Bos was in the Milton / Roselindale area, near the home of the greatly-missed SheldonHenderson. Seconf-generation brothers Lenny and Martin (?) did the work. he latter taught be about brass nuts in at exhaust manifolds and when I tld lenny that I needed a certain part, he went,"Hmmm, That's a 1743819, walked along a corridor, reached behind a box on the top shwel and tossed me one. No charge.
                  Side note Lenny imported a London Bus. When he told a freind, the friend asked, "How much profit did you make on the shipping?"
                  Lenny had no idea what the frind was talkig about. The friend said, "The bus is a big box. You should have contacted a broker, who would have filled it with small packages for his customers and you and him would have maade a enough to ship the bus and split a small profit."
                  Karl, was Feldmen/Feldman the two old brothers north of the river? The one I'm thinking of had one mechanic, an equally old man with a speech impediment and near deafness. They had two '58 Packard hardtops on their lot when I was their in '73. Visnicks replaced the motor mounts in my Wagonaire (had a broken one that could give you a thrill if you floored it in first gear). I liked Lenny. He sold me a new chrome dressup kit (valve covers, caps and dipstick) for $9.95, the same price as Standard Surplus. Lenny also had bought a number of nice cars from customers who came east, got discouraged with Studebakers and dumped them. I remember one time he had just bought a '61 Lark skytop hardtop and a R-1 '64 Daytona convertible. I wonder what ever became of Lenny and his cars (and parts).

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
                  Museum R-4 engine
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by 53k

quote:Originally posted by sumf

Feldmen (Feldman?) was very close to the Boston parts distrubution warehouse. It was there that I saw what a poorly done tow job could do to an avanti. It was also there that I saw a jack-up-in-the-rear Lark. The tiklt was done by a 4x4 jambed between the axle and the frame.

Karl, was Feldmen/Feldman the two old brothers north of the river? The one I'm thinking of had one mechanic, an equally old man with a speech impediment and near deafness. They had two '58 Packard hardtops on their lot when I was their in '73. Visnicks replaced the motor mounts in my Wagonaire (had a broken one that could give you a thrill if you floored it in first gear). I liked Lenny. He sold me a new chrome dressup kit (valve covers, caps and dipstick) for $9.95, the same price as Standard Surplus. Lenny also had bought a number of nice cars from customers who came east, got discouraged with Studebakers and dumped them. I remember one time he had just bought a '61 Lark skytop hardtop and a R-1 '64 Daytona convertible. I wonder what ever became of Lenny and his cars (and parts).

Museum R-4 engine
                    You got them both spot on!

I started using Visnick after I met Sheldon. It was near him and maybe a bit closer to where I lived, too. (Waltham and where you visited me, then in Brighton, in a flat in Ralph Holmes house.)
                    Lenny also had a model shop - mostly trains and cars. IIRC.
                    I expect that you or I could find out during a visit to Beantown.

KDH

Comment

• I bought that 1961 Lark Skytop hardtop and kept it for MANY years. I sold it to another life SDC member. I do not presently know the whereabouts of the car. Besides the Skytop, it was well equipped with 259 V-8, AT, ps, pb, etc.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

• Comment

• I wonder what the suggested list prices were for that car. With no window stickers until 1959, I'm curious what kind of 'deal' he got.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

• Well, he traded in the "old" green '51 LC and got $2100 for it. I remember him HATING that green car because the starter would cut out before the car started. When the '52s came out, they had the new "follow thru" starter that keep on turning until the car started. Actually, he went to the dealer to get on of those starters put on and they gave him what he considered to be such a good trade in, he bought the '52.

John

Comment

• There is a fellow here in Richmond that has a '50 Champion 4 door that came from Bogue. I will look tonight to see if I have a picture of the dealer emblem. By the way, the car is for sale.

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

• As soon as he got the '51 or '52 home, I removed the dealer name. It was an aluminum plate that fit under the trunk lid handle. Now they're worth a jillion dollars. Oh well...

John

Comment

Working...
                                X