X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rknight89
    replied
    Originally posted by super wagonaire View Post
    I had his phone number and talked to his wife , when he was in the hospital. I lost the number does your dad have a address or phone number for his wife?
    Dad never knew the Utleys. A quick check of the phone book lists several Utleys. If you know any names (no Jerry) I can pass along the #'s. Looking at some old city maps and city directories and comparing them to modern maps, I believe the former dealership that was just off Main St. is now a parking lot. The dealer was Harry Tyrell. Not sure if that was the "factory store".

Leave a comment:

• 4E12D
    replied
    Oregon dealer

Originally posted by Randy_G View Post
    I have been convinced to keep the Studebaker-Packard Dealer listing I have on my site. If you wish to add to it simply post what you know as a Studebaker-Packard dealer or any other orphaned make of automobile on this thread or you can e-mail me. I appreciate any help you can give! And as always thank you for visitng my site and for checking out my sponser.

Randy_G
    www.automotivehistoryonline.com/dealerpackard.htm
    The Amity, Oregon Dealer was Aldrige & Watts

Leave a comment:

• super wagonaire
    replied
    I had his phone number and talked to his wife , when he was in the hospital. I lost the number does your dad have a address or phone number for his wife?

Leave a comment:

• rknight89
    replied
    Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
    Yes, it was on Main Street about 4-5 blocks from the Steak n Shake.
    Wasn't it at the bottom of Main St. hill? Maybe the building on the corner of Main & Kumpf(formerly Franklin?) or Main and Perry. I tried to look at Google Earth and determine what building it may have been but I can't tell. I'm not old enough to remember it personally. I'll have to ask dad. He was running around Peoria in the mid to late '50s. The Main St. Steak-N-Shake you referred to is long gone from the top of Main St. hill.

Leave a comment:

• rknight89
    replied
    Dick, Do you know anyone who worked there in 1963. I had a lead but the gentleman passed away before I could findout if my 1963 R-2 wagonaire was sold there. I believe his name was Jerry Utley and he ran it in1963 .
    A guy I used to work with has mentioned a "Mr. Utley" to me. He said one of the Utley girls used to baby sit him and Mr. Utley had something to do with Studebakers in town. You are probably on the right track in your search for the Utley's. Sorry I'm not much more help.

Leave a comment:

• 4E12D
    replied
    In the Salem Oregon area, there was:

Russ Bonesteele Motors which was then bought out in the late 50's I believe and became Loder Brothers until the end.

Corvallis Oregon had Ray Bonesteele

I have a license plate holder from Amity Oregon but I cannot remember the name at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• super wagonaire
    replied
    Dick, Do you know anyone who worked there in 1963. I had a lead but the gentleman passed away before I could findout if my 1963 R-2 wagonaire was sold there. I believe his name was Jerry Utley and he ran it in1963 .

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Wheel
    replied
    I was told there was a Studebaker factory store in Peoria, Ill. and the building still stands, believe that is where my wagonaire came from. Can anyone affirm this? Was there a factory store?
    Yes, it was on Main Street about 4-5 blocks from the Steak n Shake.

Leave a comment:

• super wagonaire
    replied
    I was told there was a Studebaker factory store in Peoria, Ill. and the building still stands, believe that is where my wagonaire came from. Can anyone affirm this? Was there a factory store?

Leave a comment:

• 55 56 PREZ 4D
    replied
    Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
    Notice the small headlamps on two cars in the picture above #1087. The car on the left and the car on the far right have those small headlamps. Was that some Studebaker accessory, or just a coincidence that two cars have them at the same dealership?
    To me it looks like only the car on the left has the lights.
    They were an after market item.
    A few car manufacturers used them from factory. 26 Paige, 27 Jordan Tomboy.
    Edmund and Jones Corporation, Detroit, Mi.
    Type 20, Torpedo Model,

Leave a comment:

• 64V-K7
    replied
    disregard post......

Leave a comment:

• jimkroeger
    replied
    Mentzer Motors

My great aunt and uncle, Clyta and Don Mentzer, owned Mentzer Motors until they retired in 1965 and liquidated the business. I think they started with Graham and then went with Studebaker and Packard in the '40s. Studebaker had a distribution agreement with Mercedes-Benz and when Packard went away, they were offered a Mercedes franchise. That was in 1958 and they did very will with that brand and hung on with Studebaker until the end. Their building on Lake St. is still there and has been a restaurant and night club in recent years - currently vacant.

The dealership employed the Mentzers, a salesman, one experienced mechanic, and one mechanic's helper. Showroom held one car; two in a pinch. Their mechanic was a good one and they had one customer who had two 300SL coupes and always had them serviced there.

Jim Kroeger
    Fairlawn, OH

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
    Barberton, Ohio

Wow, that's not real far from where I live--very near Akron. I was aware of Mentzer Motors, which was a Packard dealer, then a Stude dealer, up 'til the end, but never heard of Derhammer's. I wonder if the building is still there.

Barberton is famous for their many fried chicken dinner restaurants, started by Eastern European immigrants back in the '30's. My favorite is Belgrade Gardens. Their chicken is still fried in lard and is absolutely the tastiest fried chicken I've ever had. It's often served with 'hot sauce', which is basically rice in a spicy red sauce.

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1 (sold new by Cordell Motors, Moorhead, MN)
    '64 Daytona Hardtop (sold new by Carl E. Filer Co., Greenville, PA)

Leave a comment:

• StudeNewby
    replied
    Rice Equipment Company, Lapeer, MI. Mr. Rice's daughter goes to my church and was so happy when I showed up one Sunday with my Champ!

Leave a comment:

• TWChamp
    replied
    Notice the small headlamps on two cars in the picture above #1087. The car on the left and the car on the far right have those small headlamps. Was that some Studebaker accessory, or just a coincidence that two cars have them at the same dealership?

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    I have the 42" dealer sign that came from a Stude dealer on highway 259, in Leitchfield, KY. The dealer's grandson gave it to me about 25 years ago. He remembered his g-pa's dealership very well. I do not know the name of the dealership, however. The sigh has been prominently displayed on my garage wall since 1989

Leave a comment:

Working...
X