Studebaker Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Dealers

I have been convinced to keep the Studebaker-Packard Dealer listing I have on my site. If you wish to add to it simply post what you know as a Studebaker-Packard dealer or any other orphaned make of automobile on this thread or you can e-mail me. I appreciate any help you can give! And as always thank you for visitng my site and for checking out my sponser.

Randy_G
    This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Randy,

These are the Studebaker dealers that I remember in Virginia:

Charlottesville - Coggins Motors
    Powhatan - Koop Motors
    Richmond - Blanton Motors
    Richmond - David McGeorge
    Richmond - Pence-Briggs
    Timberville - Mason Motors
    Winchester - Kern Motor Co.

And others:

Dallas, TX - Harry Bogue Motors

Goodland, KS - Stephens Motor Co.

Pomona, CA - Pomona Car Imports

Torrington, CT - E. J. Wilson & Sons

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

A couple more for you that I remember..

Lloyd Pearson Studebaker & Mercedes-Benz
      Pasadena, CA.

Carnahan & Norton Studebaker
      Claremont, CA.

George
      65 Commander 2door
      64 Wagonaire
      63 Champ
      63 GT Hawk
      51 Champion Starlight Coupe
      George King
      Grants Pass, Oregon
      64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

This is great keep them coming!

Randy_G
        This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

Unruh Motors, Alexandria, MN (the first home of my 60 Hawk)

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
          Woodbury, Minnesota
          sigpic
          Bob Shaw
          Rush City, Minnesota
          1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
          "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

My dad and his brother had a Packard dealership:

Western Washington, USA

Comment

I bought my first new car and first Studebaker from Don Schmidt Motors in Wichita, KS. Then I bought my '64 Daytona Wagonaire from Joe Egle Motor Imports in Olathe, KS.
              My first dealer buyout was the Pontiac-Studebaker dealer in Fredonia, KS (don't remember the name, was 1974). About the same time I bought out Habiger Motors in Iola, KS (unpicked, much gold). I passed on a factory Packard V-8 long block and a bunch of truck rims (who would want boat anchors like those?). I found an old Studebaker-Allis Chalmers dealership a few miles east in Bronson, KS. There were no parts there, but I got a couple BIG showroom banners from '60 and '61 and I passed on a BIG outside neon sign for $50 (who would want something like that?)
              I dealt with Anderson Motors in Garnett, KS (they were a single family dealership from the wagon days through the end). I tried to buy their parts, but they were still servicing Studebakers so they would only sell me their accessories (at $1.50 per box- Speedster exhaust extensions, 53-55 backups, Hill Holders, etc.).
              I drove my first Lark at the Lincoln-Mercury-Studebaker dealership in Manhattan, KS.
              I remember a large dealer in Topeka, KS, but don't remember the name. He sold a bunch of Larks to the State.
              There were at least three dealers in Kansas City, MO and one in Kansas City, KS. One KCMO dealer was a factory dealership- stocked some neat cars (R-2 Cruiser, etc.). A local distillery ordered seven Avantis for their salesmen to drive, but the dealership couldn't deliver due to the early production delays. The same dealership also took a Mercedes 300 gull-wing in trade on one and a new Corvair convertible from a Catholic priest on another.
              When I was in the SF Bay Area I bought parts from the Zone Depot in Burlingame and a good dealer in San Leandro was Ben Begier which still operates as a Buick-Saab dealer.
              Several times I drove various Studebakers to Frost and French in Los Angeles for service. When Studebaker shut down in '66 Mr French went around to all the West Coast dealers he could find and bought their new Studebakers. He sold new Studebakers for several years, all at MSRP.
              I bought my first Avanti from the former dealer in Hayward and there was a former dealer in Oakland, owned by a little old couple. They only sold parts- no longer had a service department.
              There were a number of dealers in the Boston Area. I had my '64 Champ serviced at one in the northern suburbs (don't remember the name). It was owned by two old brothers who had one equally old, deaf mechanic. They had two '58 Packard hardtops sitting on their used car lot. I bought some parts and had new motor mounts put in my '64 Wagonaire at a dealer in the Southeast part (name is on the tip of my tongue, but I just can't spit it out). Their parts guy, Lennie, was buying Studebakers from customers who wanted to get rid of their Studebakers. He had quite a collection including a '64 R-2 Daytona convertible and a fully-equipped '61 Skytop hardtop.
              In the DC area the famous one was American Service Center, now a big Mercedes dealer. There was also Metropolitan Motors, later a Subaru dealer.
              In the mid-70s I bought out the Heishman Garage in Mt. Jackson, VA and tried to buy Mason Motors in Timberville, VA. Mr Mason wouldn't sell because they were still servicing too many Studebakers. In his upstairs storage I found a 10,000-mile Packard Hawk, a GT Hawk, a '63 Avanti and a low-miles Lark. I found later that Jim Heiple got his parts a few years ago.
              I also tried to buy out the dealer at Harrisonburg, VA, but they too would only sell the accessories (radio antennas, floor mats, etc.).
              I tried to buy Burr Garage in White Sulphur Springs, WV, but was told they didn't have anything any more. However, several years later a man showed up at Reedsville with all kinds of gold from there that he had just bought.
              Guido (Gary) mentioned Kern Motors in Winchester, VA. They had also been a Kaiser, Hudson, American Motors and Mack Truck dealership over the years. Last summer they had a 50th anni
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I'm sure there is a very knowledgable person associated with the Studebaker archives that might very well be able to locate the "Dealership Directory". As stated before, there were always changes being made with names, locations, etc. but the directories had to be up-dated periodically ...there's bound to be one, or more, there somewhere. I know, this would take all the fun out of members posting dealerships they remember. but this might keep some of us from having an memory "melt-down"[:0] Just a thought.
                Dan Miller

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Paul and I will be a a joint chapter meet tomorrow and will try to get some more dealers. I think that Valley Motors in Staunton, VA was a dealer, but I will need to check. Stay tuned.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

From Memory (well, OK, not entirely), just a few:

Snider Auto Service; Indianapolis IN

Roy Gale Motors; Indianapolis IN
                    Childers Studebaker; Indianapolis IN
                    (The above two were the same facility; Childers bought out Roy Gale.)

Charlie Stuart Studebaker; Indianapolis IN
                    Studebaker Indianapolis; Indianapolis IN
                    Meridian Motors; Indianapolis IN
                    (The above three were in the same facility at different times.)

Bob Phillips Studebaker; Indianapolis IN

Johnny Moore Auto Sales; Terre Haute IN

Paris Auto Sales; Paris IL
                    Palma-Rhoads Motors; Paris IL [8D][:I][8D][][:I]
                    Harry Rhoads Motors; Paris IL
                    (The above three were in the same facility at different times.)

Wilson Motors; Attica IN

Jack Summers Auto Sales; Bedford IN

Phyne Motor Company; Brazil IN

Art Smith Motors; Frankfort IN

Keeling Motors Inc; Franklin IN

Greenfield Motors; Greenfield IN

Ramseyer Motor Sales; Kokomo IN

B & V Motor Sales; Lafayette IN

Kramer Oldsmobile Sales; Linton IN

Albright Auto Sales; Noblesville IN

Cummings Auto Sales; Seymour IN

Cottingham Auto Sales; Windfall IN

Lenox Motors in Lebanon IN may have been a Studebaker dealer briefly,
                    but I cannot confirm that now.

BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Nick Wilson
                      Nick Wilson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ernie Weyl sales & service. Connersville Indiana

Paul J. - That "fully-equipped '61 Skytop hardtop" that you remember in the Boston area is probably the same one that I owned for about nine years. I bought mine sight unseen from the Boston area and had it delivered to me. It was red, AT, ps, pb, etc.,etc. My '61 Skytop was one of only a couple of cars that I have ever bought back. I sold it to a friend that sold it to another mutual friend. When he died, I bought the car back from his widow. In fact, both of those Studebaker friends are now deceased. I sold the car to another life member of SDC. I do not know his current status.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Eich Motor Company, St. Cloud, MN

This company is still family owned and a fourth generation firm. They are still in business and sell Volkswagens, Mazdas and other brands.

They have carried brands as diverse as Studebaker, Borgward and Austin-Healey.
                      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I am going to look and see if I might have an old official regional list for the Atlanta & then the Burlingame Calif zone while I was mgr of those respective areas.

If I can find them I will copy & MAIL you one to compile!
                        Louis

Comment

Studebaker dealerships in the Mid-Hudson area of New York State;

Poughkeepsie - Pitcher Motors on Main Street (a couple of different locations), they also sold Mercedes Benz when Studebaker handled the distribution/sales (1958-1965)

Wappingers Falls - Knight's Garage on South Avenue, handled Dodges near and after the end, recently torn down to build a new Chamber of Commerce office

Beacon - DiNapoli-Sallico Motors on Henry Street, became a Dodge dealer near the end and stayed with Dodge for awhile. I bought my new 1966 Charger there, my neighbor bought a new 1973 Dodge there and my father bought a new 1975 Coronet there. I don't think that they were a Dodge dealer for long after that. There is now a general auto repair shop in the building. Besides one new car, I bought many slightly used Studebakers and Dodges there.

Pawling - can't recall the dealer name, it was on NYS Route 22

Cold Spring - can't recall the dealer name, it was on NYS Route 9D

Newburgh - Can't remember the dealer name, the building is still there on upper Broadway and an intersecting street (which was the dealership front and probably the address)

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Paul J. - That "fully-equipped '61 Skytop hardtop" that you remember in the Boston area is probably the same one that I owned for about nine years. I bought mine sight unseen from the Boston area and had it delivered to me. It was red, AT, ps, pb, etc.,etc. My '61 Skytop was one of only a couple of cars that I have ever bought back. I sold it to a friend that sold it to another mutual friend. When he died, I bought the car back from his widow. In fact, both of those Studebaker friends are now deceased. I sold the car to another life member of SDC. I do not know his current status.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

Certainly a possibility. I saw the car in '71 or '72 and I do now remember the dealer's name- Visnicks (very near Sheldon Henderson).

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
                            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                            Museum R-4 engine
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                            X