anyonlooking for a Packard parts car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by wally

That is interesting, Bams. At least your locale still has hoops you can easily jump through. But, do your licenses actually specify that your place is the "Island Of Misfit Toys"? That pretty cute.
    No, it's a reference to the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Christmas show. A buddy called it that since, like the IoMT in the show, unpopular, unloved, and oddball cars come here for a safe haven[8D]

Gary, the big advantage I have is I'm not in a very popular area; plus a true, legally grandfathered establishment cannot be removed. I can even sell the property to anyone with that status, as long as they continue to pay the yearly fee. The only thing anyone could do is hope that I someday don't pay the license renewal fee.

Thanks to the media constantly hammering on the nonsense that the economy's so bad in my area, nobody's looking to build much here. I have large, vacant fields on both sides of me. I have standing offers to both owners to buy those properties as a buffer. I'm within a year or two on one (33 acres) and the other's owned by an older ex-racer whose younger wife will be anxious to ditch the whole thing when he dies (about 75 acres). That land wraps around behind mine, nothing but woods for maybe 1/4 mile back. Across the street is a farm and cornfield, with an older trailer in the next lot.

So I'm in kind of an ideal situation for a car guy[^] Now all I gotta do s find someone like minded to buy parcels of that land and build here I'm trying to lure some here with a new classic car resto shop... you know, like a community garage[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Studedave, and anyone else that has intrest in any of the parts...call me 717-749-3902 and we can talk, I have another party intrested in some other items, and Id like the TT, if it will fit my fiancees 58 Hawk, I would ebay the rest or take them with me to the National meet. My fiancee and I, and her family are planning on attending the National meet, and I could cart the parts there, or even the next Reedsville, but dont think I have the time to get it out and strip anything before York.
      I have a place I can dismantle it but dont have the extra $$ right now, but if I can put together a list of intrested parties, and nail down some real offers, maybe I can make it happen.

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????

Comment

Studedave, and anyone else that has intrest in any of the parts...call me 717-749-3902 and we can talk, I have another party intrested in some other items, and Id like the TT, if it will fit my fiancees 58 Hawk, I would ebay the rest or take them with me to the National meet. My fiancee and I, and her family are planning on attending the National meet, and I could cart the parts there, or even the next Reedsville, but dont think I have the time to get it out and strip anything before York.
        I have a place I can dismantle it but dont have the extra $$ right now, but if I can put together a list of intrested parties, and nail down some real offers, maybe I can make it happen.

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I've told of this before - recently - but in Fresno, CA - they've forced out of business, a yard that had it's start in NINETEEN TWENTY-SEVEN!!! It started as a filling/repair station that was WELL out in the country. But as Fresno grew and land revenues grew along with it, it got to be where the wrecking yard just wasn't as tax-worthy as it could've been. They (the city) found ways to force the place out of business! Last count, there were some 30+ Stude carcasses there! City big-wigs could care.

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

Well Biggs,
          I know you're talking about Romo's. It was sad to see ALL those old cars crushed. But I don't think Romo's was exactly forced out of business (by the City) because they were a wrecking yard. If you go by there today (as I do every day on my way home from work) there is still an operating wrecking yard there. It just aint Romo's anymore. Whoever is operating there today shows no signs of closing. They continue to receive modern cars into the yard and continue to crush piles of cars as they build up.[xx(]
          So to say "the City found ways to force them out of business," doesn't quite ring true from my vantage point.

KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I've told of this before - recently - but in Fresno, CA - they've forced out of business, a yard that had it's start in NINETEEN TWENTY-SEVEN!!! It started as a filling/repair station that was WELL out in the country. But as Fresno grew and land revenues grew along with it, it got to be where the wrecking yard just wasn't as tax-worthy as it could've been. They (the city) found ways to force the place out of business! Last count, there were some 30+ Stude carcasses there! City big-wigs could care.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

Well Biggs,
            I know you're talking about Romo's. It was sad to see ALL those old cars crushed. But I don't think Romo's was exactly forced out of business (by the City) because they were a wrecking yard. If you go by there today (as I do every day on my way home from work) there is still an operating wrecking yard there. It just aint Romo's anymore. Whoever is operating there today shows no signs of closing. They continue to receive modern cars into the yard and continue to crush piles of cars as they build up.[xx(]
            So to say "the City found ways to force them out of business," doesn't quite ring true from my vantage point.

KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I was only going by what Ronald told me was happening between his family and the city. What he told me was that the city had put it to them like this...

Since the place had seen decades of vehicle dismantling, there was a great deal of pollutants in the ground there. They (the yard owners) could either pay for the clean-up themselves and stay in business OR basically turn the land over to the city and the city would pay for the cleanup. At least that's the last I heard when I last talked to Ronald.
              He waid the city's REAL motive was to sell the land to developers to establish warehouses on. Maybe the whole thing's changed since I last talked to Ronald.
              I'd kept telling myself I needed to save all the rust-free Lark front fenders that were there. And there were a bunch of pairs of them that I could've bought for $100 bucks a set. But then I'd have had to store them HERE and deal with folks whining about the costs of shipping them to wherever for them to use.
              Just recently I had a guy get ALL EXCITED that he could get a pair of fenders from me for his '60 Lark...... until he checked into have them shipped to the midwest! That took the wind right out of the sales![:0][B)]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I was only going by what Ronald told me was happening between his family and the city. What he told me was that the city had put it to them like this...

Since the place had seen decades of vehicle dismantling, there was a great deal of pollutants in the ground there. They (the yard owners) could either pay for the clean-up themselves and stay in business OR basically turn the land over to the city and the city would pay for the cleanup. At least that's the last I heard when I last talked to Ronald.
                He waid the city's REAL motive was to sell the land to developers to establish warehouses on. Maybe the whole thing's changed since I last talked to Ronald.
                I'd kept telling myself I needed to save all the rust-free Lark front fenders that were there. And there were a bunch of pairs of them that I could've bought for $100 bucks a set. But then I'd have had to store them HERE and deal with folks whining about the costs of shipping them to wherever for them to use.
                Just recently I had a guy get ALL EXCITED that he could get a pair of fenders from me for his '60 Lark...... until he checked into have them shipped to the midwest! That took the wind right out of the sales![:0][B)]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Shawn~ If I wasn't retiring this Summer, I'd more then likely be going to one of those Meets you mentioned above!!! [:0] [V] [B)]

I'll try to reach you soon, and we'll be able to discuss this better then we can here... [)] [:0] [}]

StudeDave [8D]
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Shawn~ If I wasn't retiring this Summer, I'd more then likely be going to one of those Meets you mentioned above!!! [:0] [V] [B)]

I'll try to reach you soon, and we'll be able to discuss this better then we can here... [)] [:0] [}]

StudeDave [8D]
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

What it typically boils down to is that some ol' gal with a new subbaroo or a prissy-uss, and too much education weasels her way onto this board and that board, and is responsible for promoting public policy decisions based upon THEIR narrowminded perception that you are polluting their environment, esthetically or otherwise. Of course, THEY don't feel that they impact the Environment. Reality is, all THEY do is burn the candle at both ends by habitually consuming NEW stuff, and trashing it, asap. But, it is for your own good. Of course. Keep that in mind.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

What it typically boils down to is that some ol' gal with a new subbaroo or a prissy-uss, and too much education weasels her way onto this board and that board, and is responsible for promoting public policy decisions based upon THEIR narrowminded perception that you are polluting their environment, esthetically or otherwise. Of course, THEY don't feel that they impact the Environment. Reality is, all THEY do is burn the candle at both ends by habitually consuming NEW stuff, and trashing it, asap. But, it is for your own good. Of course. Keep that in mind.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                        X