GT Hawk Crowl Seal Nails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT Hawk Crowl Seal Nails?

Each end appears to be held in place by a nail (I haven't smoke anything funny today)....I don't understand?....are they nails?....what are "nailed" into?....are they necessary?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

The Cowl Seals are held by "Screw Nails" 1048X4 (2 Per) at: http://studebakervendors.com
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Mine are still there....I assume they are reusable?

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      The Cowl Seals are held by "Screw Nails" 1048X4 (2 Per) at: http://studebakervendors.com
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

You will know when you get them out.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I didn't take mine out, I glued the center then stretched the seal slightly then put a small slit in the bottom of the seal and put it on the nail screw.

Comment

Great info....but what makes a nail screw a nail screw?.....and what is the purpose?....never seen one!...."Inquiring minds want to know"

Originally posted by jetboat View Post
            I didn't take mine out, I glued the center then stretched the seal slightly then put a small slit in the bottom of the seal and put it on the nail screw.
            Lou Van Anne
            62 Champ
            64 R2 GT Hawk
            79 Avanti II

Comment

Lou, here is a photo of screw nails

Perry
              \'50 Business Champion
              \'50 Starlight Champion
              \'60 Lark Convertible,
              \'63 GT R1,
              \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Also called a drive nail.

Comment

They must have been a fast way to secure the rubber seal, as the car came down the assembly line. No measuring, or drilling, just bang them in. I've thought a bit about the guys working on the assembly line, as I put my own car back together. Some of the tasks seem rather tough, and time consuming, and they did it in an allotted amount of time, many times a day. Even when they got good at it, it must have been tiresome work.
                  Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                    They must have been a fast way to secure the rubber seal, as the car came down the assembly line. No measuring, or drilling, just bang them in. I've thought a bit about the guys working on the assembly line, as I put my own car back together. Some of the tasks seem rather tough, and time consuming, and they did it in an allotted amount of time, many times a day. Even when they got good at it, it must have been tiresome work.
                    After putting back the body air vent parts under the front fenders on my car, I felt really sorry for the poor guys that did that on the assembly line. I suppose they had some ways to tackle this faster than me but I couldn't think of an easy way to do this.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                      I spent years selling tooling and supplies to various manufacturing facilities including automotive assembly. I would be surprised if there was some poor soul on the assembly line manually hammering these little nails into place with a simple hammer. By the mid-1920's pneumatic and electric tooling was rapidly finding their way into assembly processes. The old "time is money" philosophy had really taken hold and the assembly line process demanded innovation. When the demands of WWII found women building airplanes, and other war goods, a need for tools requiring less muscle to do the job became even more challenging. Thus, power tools provided the answer by giving the workers advantages never imagined by the skilled carriage builders that gave birth to early automobile coachbuilders.

I suspect that even if there was not an automatic feeding nail gun in use, there was probably at least a pneumatic palm nailer being used.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                        I suspect that even if there was not an automatic feeding nail gun in use, there was probably at least a pneumatic palm nailer being used.
                        Mike Lenyo has been posting a ton of vintage factory photos on the Studebaker Addicts page on Facebook. It would be nice to see if he can locate a photo showing some interior installations such as this, and post it here.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          Mike Lenyo has been posting a ton of vintage factory photos on the Studebaker Addicts page on Facebook. It would be nice to see if he can locate a photo showing some interior installations such as this, and post it here.

Craig
                          Thanks, Craig...I too would love to see this operation. In addition, I would also like to see that powerful sheet metal stapler that attached the rubber radiator surround piece.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

Craig
                            Could you post more of a direct link to this, as I am not able to find his pics? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
                              After putting back the body air vent parts under the front fenders on my car, I felt really sorry for the poor guys that did that on the assembly line. I suppose they had some ways to tackle this faster than me but I couldn't think of an easy way to do this.
                              If I am thinking of what you are referring to, most of that assembly was done before the fenders were mated up with the chassis/main body.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X