No announcement yet.

My Half A$$ Studebaker Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ring gear. New bendix drive. They go together. Just to easy to do it now.

Comment

• Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
      New ring gear. New bendix drive. They go together. Just to easy to do it now.
      You're probably right. Checking prices right now. I'm so glad I bought that used transmission, this came out of the old one.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Topper2011; 09-10-2018, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• Just saw this.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/washbo...ood-clean-fun/

Fast forward towards the end, during the parade, Studebaker content.

Comment

• I always wonder why Barn finds stop being driven and put off the road, I think you now know why your GT was. I'm enjoying your resto story and looking forward to your next post. Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by Harryhawk View Post
            I always wonder why Barn finds stop being driven and put off the road, I think you now know why your GT was. I'm enjoying your resto story and looking forward to your next post. Cheers
            Yes, between the leaky freeze plugs and lack of oil in the transmission sealed this cars fate.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	P9020147.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	1723702

I spent labor Day weekend cleaning and coating the frame in Por-15.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P9020144.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1723703

Well, in my mind it came out perfectly, but in reality i found a lot of the spots I missed. Pretty tough to put this messy stuff on when it's only 20" away from your face. I gave all the parking brake cables the ATF/Acetone treatment while I was at it.
              Last edited by Topper2011; 09-11-2018, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• More parts came in, so it looks like I'm going to be busy for awhile.

It's a mix of USA made products and imports.

Don't ask why I took this apart, it also cost me some blood. Hint: Wear gloves when removing little snap rings or you screwdriver will end up hitting flesh when it slips and usually with great force.

Disassembled the starter to replace the drive. See what I started by painting that intake? Now I have to make an effort into cleaning and painting everything I take off.

Comment

• It's pretty crusty. While the paint is drying, I removed the exhaust manifold so have a closer look at the leaky freeze plugs.

Looks like a lot of work. Time for dinner.

Comment

• You need to turn that commutator to make it clean and smooth for better electrical contact.

EDIT: I used to use a neat hand-held, man powered lathe to do that.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

• It looks like someone undercut the starter commutator bars, and starters should not be undercut. The strong spring pressure and hard copper bushes will keep the insulating material worn away. I worked on a starter where someone undercut the commutator, and the copper got caught in the gap and shorted the bars.

Comment

• Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                        It looks like someone undercut the starter commutator bars, and starters should not be undercut. The strong spring pressure and hard copper bushes will keep the insulating material worn away. I worked on a starter where someone undercut the commutator, and the copper got caught in the gap and shorted the bars.

It does appear that the starter has had some work, or it's worn.

I didn't do any work on the car Saturday, it was a day of play. My club ride up Mt. Hamilton, 4200+ feet on sub 125CC bikes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_...n_(California)

It ended up being a long day for me though. I was 4 miles short of the lunch stop.

http://thejunctionbarandgrill.com
                        Last edited by Topper2011; 09-10-2018, 06:42 PM.

Comment

• Ok, looks like a lot of my pictures I linked from my motorcycle site has been disabled. Not sure why. For some reason, this site only allows thumbnails and you need to be signed in to see the pictures. I wanted people to see the full size pictures for the ease of those watching this thread. Oh well.

Someone was in this starter and it's a good thing I took it apart. This was holding the starter drive onto the shaft. I got a proper roll pin for it although it was longer.

I also polished the commutator with some crocus cloth.

See what happens to you when to throw some paint onto an intake manifold? Now I've got to paint everything I take off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
                            Ok, looks like a lot of my pictures I linked from my motorcycle site has been disabled. Not sure why. For some reason, this site only allows thumbnails and you need to be signed in to see the pictures. I wanted people to see the full size pictures for the ease of those watching this thread. Oh well.
                            Most likely, the motorcycle site killed the link. A site doesnt want to necessarily host images for some other site. In this instance, the motorcycle site doesnt want to host the images that are served on the Stude site.

Comment

• Originally posted by creegster View Post
                              Most likely, the motorcycle site killed the link. A site doesnt want to necessarily host images for some other site. In this instance, the motorcycle site doesnt want to host the images that are served on the Stude site.

Yes, your probably right since they were down for maintenance last night. Their site is much easier to upload photos in full size compared to here.

Comment

• This has probably been posted before, but enjoy anyway!

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/news/ho...lership_rescue

Comment

Working...
                                X