Views:	198
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1888300

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4030847.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1888301

I'm glad I have low standards or I'd still be trying to smooth this out.

Comment

• I would be happy with that repair.
      Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

• Originally posted by ChampCouple View Post
        I would be happy with that repair.
        Thanks. It's a pretty beat fender, so I don't feel so bad about attempting a ham fisted repair on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChampCouple View Post
          I would be happy with that repair.
          It looks good in the pic! Doesn't look "ham fisted" at all to me.

Comment

• Not much done, got the second Moderna and felt a little sick with a sore arm for a couple of days. First shot was a breeze. I've also got a bunch of poison oak to spray and weeds to whack.

I did install the right grille, so now it doesn't look like a cyclops anymore. Actually, it ended up not looking half bad.

Name:	P4060836.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1889748

The color hides a lot of mistakes.

Name:	P4120845.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1889749

The lower trim piece was about 1/2" away from the fender lip, probably due to the whiskey dent. So I just made a simple "Z" bracket that took at least an hour of fettling with.

Name:	P4120844.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1889750

I need a better front bumper, but this one will have to do for now.

Name:	P4120843.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1889751

I need to swap the fender light indicator to the higher 62 type and then I can install the headlamp ring.

Comment

• I thought this was to be a "Half A$$ed build", your work is too good for that.
              Bob
              Bob
              Welland Ontario
              60 Lark Convertible
              64 Daytona
              sigpic
              "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

• Not much to report, but did a little on the car last week.

Name:	P4140838.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1891006

More rot repair, big surprise! Inner rocker behind passenger door opening.

Name:	P4140839.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	1891007

I needed to remove another broken bolt that secured the lower front of the rear fender. I failed welding a nut on the underside to the bolt.

Name:	P4140840.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	1891008

I won this little battle!

Comment

• I did experiment with my open can of POR-15. I wasn't ready to use it all last time and had stored it in a plastic zip bad with some desiccant in it and it kept for at least a month. So I did the inner part of the rear fender.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4150843.JPG Views:	13 Size:	127.1 KB ID:	1891013

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4150847.JPG Views:	13 Size:	137.0 KB ID:	1891014

I've got one more 4oz can that I will have to stretch for the hog trough and the benches I picked up a while ago. Another project that has been keeping me busy along with weed whacking the property.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4190850.JPG Views:	13 Size:	183.7 KB ID:	1891015

These have been wire brushed in prep for the POR-15 coating.

Name:	P4190853.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	1891083
                  Last edited by Topper2011; 04-22-2021, 06:33 AM.

Comment

• I've also been working on the slats, taking all the slats to make one good bench.

Name:	P4190848.JPG
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1891018

I tried and failed in my use of my DA sander to clean these boards up since they are a bit warped and was catching the edges.

Name:	P4210854.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1891019

Before..

Name:	P4210856.JPG
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	1891020

After. Slats are expensive as these appear to be white oak, about $100-200 a set and raising. BTW, Doug fir pallet boards don't make good slats for benches. Anyway, since I'm waiting for my stainless steel hardware to come in, the benches are on hold, so I can get back to the car. I've hijacked my own thread, so I'd better put in some Studebaker content before the villagers pass out the pitchforks and torches.

Name:	P4210832.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1891021

My wife saw this and saved it for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
                      I did experiment with my open can of POR-15. I wasn't ready to use it all last time and had stored it in a plastic zip bad with some desiccant in it and it kept for at least a month. So I did the inner part of the rear fender
                      These have been wire brushed in prep for the POR-15 coating.
                      Remember that POR15 needs to be topcoated if you are using it outdoors. I'm more of a fan of Rustoleum Outdoor spray paints here.

White oak is an excellent choice. The best source around here are the tree services that remove them. They usually have someone that takes the wood and turns it into lumber and the prices are much lower. That's what happened to the 16 oaks from my property last year. Previously I had several of them turned into lumber by a local portable sawmill.

Really like the benchs, a nice classic look.

Bob
                      Last edited by sweetolbob; 04-22-2021, 04:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post

Remember that POR15 needs to be topcoated if you are using it outdoors. I'm more of a fan of Rustoleum Outdoor spray paints here.

White oak is an excellent choice. The best source around here are the tree services that remove them. They usually have someone that takes the wood and turns it into lumber and the prices are much lower. That's what happened to the 16 oaks from my property last year. Previously I had several of them turned into lumber by a local portable sawmill.

Really like the benchs, a nice classic look.

Bob
                        Yep Bob, I am trying to time everything so I can POR-15 the hog trough and then the bench ends at the same time. I'll then epoxy primer the door and then the bench ends together since the primer is a two part spray can that is only good for 24 hours once mixed. I sure don't want to waste it, being a CASO. Paint afterwards.

As to the slats, I had a Live Oak fall and thought to myself, "Look at all those slats!" I did contact a local small mill and they told me it would be $150 per set. I've also looked into IPE $$, which was suggested as being excellent wood to use on an outside bench.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post

Yep Bob, I am trying to time everything so I can POR-15 the hog trough and then the bench ends at the same time. I'll then epoxy primer the door and then the bench ends together since the primer is a two part spray can that is only good for 24 hours once mixed. I sure don't want to waste it, being a CASO. Paint afterwards.

As to the slats, I had a Live Oak fall and thought to myself, "Look at all those slats!" I did contact a local small mill and they told me it would be $150 per set. I've also looked into IPE $$, which was suggested as being excellent wood to use on an outside bench.

Know anybody with a chain saw and a table saw? Rough cut to handle able size with the chain saw and final sizing with the table saw. Tough enough for "Old Ironsides" so live oak should work well.

Comment

• Ah, the USS Constitution, not Perry Mason.
                            Last edited by Topper2011; 04-22-2021, 06:44 AM.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	image_87017.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	1891230 Are those seats goin to fit in the Hawk OK? Might have to cut down the legs a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Videoranger View Post

Name:	image_87017.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	1891230 Are those seats goin to fit in the Hawk OK? Might have to cut down the legs a bit.
                                They do have high bolsters to keep me in place, but I'll have to get rid of the center console so I can use the whole bench seta.

Comment

Working...
                                X