No announcement yet.

My Half A$$ Studebaker Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I worked on the door as well and almost done getting all the little rust spots out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2250845.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1883345

Name:	P2250847.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1883346

I also worked on the broken reverse switch. I found a 4 prong switch for the spare car. It must have been an automatic.

Name:	P2210834.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1883347

Name:	P2210836.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1883348

I swapped the plastic blocks and it works again. Unfortunately, one of the tangs is broken on the column shifter that flips the switch. I am afraid to wonder where it and the little plastic ball went off to.

Comment

• Amazing how long each task takes to do. I've been trimming and fitting the right side floor pan for two days so far and it's getting close.

Name:	P3050844.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1883999

Name:	P3060850.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1884000

Name:	P3060852.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1884001

The door is starting to clean up as well.

Name:	P3040843.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1884002

Probably another day of sanding and it will be ready to epoxy primer.

Comment

• Your floor boards are looking good. That's alot of tack welds..... but that does take alot of time.
        Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

• Originally posted by ChampCouple View Post
          Your floor boards are looking good. That's alot of tack welds..... but that does take alot of time.
          Thanks Mike, it really helps with the spare car already formed to the shapes I needed. I am using the "floor pan" I formed out of the 18ga. to make replacement panels, so I don't waste the effort. I hope your Champ doesn't deter you from trying. Hopefully, you can find a donor too.

Comment

• I think I will try working on the cab corners, be hard at this point to make them any worse.

If I could get to the point of making welds like yours, I would be pretty happy. I see you are using butt welding holders. I bought some, need to practice with them.

Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

• I used a set of the butt weld holders like you have in the picture. They were ok, but leave a fairly wide gap. Later I bought a set of magnets designed for holding seams, (eastwood). I liked them better, and made the panels just a little closer fit for easier welding. Good to see more progress on the Hawk.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChampCouple View Post
                I think I will try working on the cab corners, be hard at this point to make them any worse.

If I could get to the point of making welds like yours, I would be pretty happy. I see you are using butt welding holders. I bought some, need to practice with them.
                Go for it Mike, you can't make it worse. The holders only help me align the panels and it does provide a ground for the welder.

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                I used a set of the butt weld holders like you have in the picture. They were ok, but leave a fairly wide gap. Later I bought a set of magnets designed for holding seams, (eastwood). I liked them better, and made the panels just a little closer fit for easier welding. Good to see more progress on the Hawk.
                Yes, they do seem to give a bit of a gap, although from a welding video by Trev, he states you needs a 1/16" gaps so the weld is strong on both sides. It's probably more important with welds you cannot get to the back of to weld.

Comment

• I tried to remove a few bolts for the fender so I can get a little more room, but I only broke out the captive nut. So I stole one out of the floor in the scrap pile.

Name:	P3160853.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	1885703

Name:	P3160855.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1885704

This is a bugger of a spot to get to and I cannot even tack the other side of the tab. As long as it's strong, it's going through 2 layers of sheet metal. Once the floor is in, I won't be able to get to it.

Name:	P3080837.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	1885705

I used an old seat belt mount from the old floor for a new three point seat belt anchor. There's a sturdy bracket under the floor near the rear seat to weld it to.

Name:	P3080839.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1885706

I installed one on the driver's side, but my crap welding wasn't good enough. I was pounding the floor with a hammer and hit the bolt and it broke my plug welds. I didn't tighten down the bolt all the way and if I did, I won't have to drill a big hole in the hog trough to re-weld it.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	P3080841.JPG
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	1885712

Name:	P3090846.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	1885713

I POR-15 the rusty bits getting it ready for the floor.

Name:	P3170862.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1885714

Basically in, but it will probably take a couple of days to stitch everything up. At least I'm done grinding and cutting to fit it.

Comment

• While I had the POR-15 out, I went ahead and did the inner driver's door.

Name:	P3120847.JPG
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	1885716

Now I could place some deadener on the panel.

Name:	P3120849.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	1885717

I only used one sheet in the middle of the panel and it made a big difference. Without it, it's really tinny.

Name:	P3090842.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	1885718

This my old broken script from the original door. Decided to experiment with gold paint I had left over from the fake finial for my flag pole.

Name:	P3090844.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1885719

What do you think? Better than before. I sprayed clear on it and it ruined it. So the ones I have, won't be getting clear.

Comment

• I think that the gold looks good. Por 15 is great stuff, and the car should be pretty well preserved when it is finished. I used sound deadener as well. Makes the doors sound solid when they shut. Keep up the good work!

Comment

• Thanks! And now a helpful public announcement from our sponsor. I miss Tech, but don't miss using an air gun in this application.

Comment

• I think the gold paint on the lettering looks good.
                            The brake video was pretty interesting, thanks for posting.
                            Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

• Today was dump day, so no work on the car. I took one of the dogs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Flynn 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.1 KB ID:	1887312

Got home and decided I was tired of rolling down the window to let myself out of the cab.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P3270839.JPG Views:	0 Size:	100.4 KB ID:	1887313

This is the second time I replaced this handle. Cheap enough at $12 from Amazon, but kind of a pain to replace, plus they don't give you the pop rivet. At least it works now. Typical Chevy door handle.

I did some work while I was at it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P3260835.JPG Views:	0 Size:	133.9 KB ID:	1887314

Spare panel from the 63 dash.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P3270837.JPG Views:	0 Size:	121.4 KB ID:	1887315

I think I just need to spray some satin clear and call it good.

Name:	P3270838.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1887317
                              The wife made Spam sushi, time for lunch!

Comment

• Floor is pretty much in, just the tedious job of finishing the tack welding on both sides. Nice to be able to have access without the bracing in the way.

Name:	P4020834.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1888294

Starting to fit the passenger seat. I'll have to raise the frame as the inside rail fouls up on the heater shield.

Name:	P4020836.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1888295

This gap has been bugging me, so I wanted to finally take care of it and install the right grille.

Name:	P4020840.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1888296

I made a potato chip. Glad it's not 16ga, or I probably couldn't get those compound curves in.

Name:	P4020841.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1888297

Comment

Working...
                                X