My Half A$$ Studebaker Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Daan View Post

Are the grilles the same year-to-year, or are they all different like the tail fins? Mine appear to be cracked and screwed together and I don’t relish looking for 56-only pieces...
    I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that. I'm sure someone will chime in that can help.

Comment

• Dreary day today, so going to work in my cramped garage instead. Really wasn't feeling it, but would have felt guilty if I didn't do something since there are millions of things to do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PC120834.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	1869918

Ground down what was left of the "pegs" that held the pan on. Drilled for screws to secure the pan.

Name:	PC120832.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1869919

Tried to mark out what I need to modify for the relief to accommodate the mounting protrusion on the grille.

Name:	PC120835.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1869920

Good as place to start as any, time for more hacking!

Name:	PC120836.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1869921

No turning back.

Comment

• Well, what do you know?

Name:	PC120842.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	1869926

Name:	PC120840.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1869927

There is a difference between the 62 fender and 63.

Name:	PC120841.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1869928

I'm going to have to do something about that crease on the 63 fender.

Comment

• Since I'm just puttering today, I'm just going to do a couple more small jobs.

Name:	PC120844.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	1869933

One of the small springs in my stash found a home. Thanks to the thread on the vent someone started, now I know it needed this spring. The door does work smoother now.

Name:	PC120843.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	1869934

All my crawling in and out through the passenger side worried me that I would stomp on my brake lines through the access. placed some speed nuts on the opening and now I can climb around without worrying.

Comment

• Hi Topper, throughly enjoying your posts, I also have a 62 GT , so I know ever nook and cranny you're working on, keep up the good work. BTW I live half way round the world from you and we too have the noise police here and they live right next door! Cheers Harryhawk
            Last edited by Harryhawk; 12-12-2020, 10:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harryhawk View Post
              Hi Topper, throughly enjoying your posts, I have a 62 GT also, so I know ever nook and cranny you're working on, keep up the good work. BTW I live half way round the world from you and we too have the noise police here and they live right next door! Cheers Harryhawk
              Thanks Harry. Hopefully yours was in better shape than mine and I'm sure you are having flashbacks. I know when I see other people starting out, I reflect that "I had to do that too".

Comment

• Well, you know when something you do turns into a "sh#t-show"? Ok, besides everything I'm touching on this car, it gets worse.

Name:	PC150838.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1870677

Under the center floor support, rot lurks, of course.

Name:	PC150839.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	1870678

Very tempting to "pretend I didn't see it".

Name:	PC160843.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	1870679

Oh, the humanity! I tried to save as much as possible and went over to my donor car for parts.

Name:	PC160847.JPG
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1870680

I know this part fits the opening as it was the part I foolishly thought I didn't need.

Comment

• I was so anxious to get this piece in and it was a late day.....

Name:	PC170854.JPG
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	1870683

I spent most of a day welding up the holes I should have done when it was off the car.

Name:	PC150835.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1870684

I need this part.

Name:	PC170856.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1870685

Name:	PC170857.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	1870686

It's close. I still have to finish the floor on this side and make up the cross piece it attaches to.

Comment

• I did finish boxing in the inner rocker on this side, but couldn't paint it with the clogged nozzles on three cans of paint I have laying around.

Name:	PC150832.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1870689

I was using this stripper solution on my little eBay lower front fender trim.

Name:	PC170860.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1870690

I bought this in the early 80's to refinish a desk. It worked then. The paint on the part laughed at it. Time for some new stuff.

Name:	PC170858.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	1870691

Name:	PC170849.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1870692

New stuff.

Comment

• 6 hours later....

Name:	PC170859.JPG
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	1870694

Chemical warfare on this trim! Time for a second round on this. If it works here, I'll do the right grille and pan. I'd better see if there is anymore rust lurking under the center brace.

Name:	PC170853.JPG
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1870695

Ok, hopefully I can just spray in the frame encapsulator from Eastwood and call it. Time to quit for the day.

Comment

• Wow! Where did this car come from Roland? I'm guessing right on the waters edge of the bay. Or was it actually in it? That's a lot-o-rust, and its in everything, places you don't usually see that much rust.

In high school I had a '65 Mustang convertable like that. It spent it's life before me on the coast in Pacifica. It was 9 years old when I got it. (newest car I've got now just turned 20, got it new) By time I sold the Mustang, I too had replaced almost all of the body due to rust from it's time in Pacifica.
                        I made the lower half of the left rear fender out of a '55 Chevy hood! They were just scrap metal then. Now that I think about it, by time I sold it I had replaced everything but the dashboard, roof mechanism and rear interior upholstery panels. Still have its original engine though. This is the second car I had it in, don't have that car any more either, but still have the engine and trans.

Name:	200ci ford 2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	1870748
                        Last edited by bensherb; 12-17-2020, 10:02 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                          Wow! Where did this car come from Roland? I'm guessing right on the waters edge of the bay. Or was it actually in it? That's a lot-o-rust, and its in everything, places you don't usually see that much rust.

In high school I had a '65 Mustang convertable like that. It spent it's life before me on the coast in Pacifica. It was 9 years old when I got it. (newest car I've got now just turned 20, got it new) By time I sold the Mustang, I too had replaced almost all of the body due to rust from it's time in Pacifica.
                          I made the lower half of the left rear fender out of a '55 Chevy hood! They were just scrap metal then. Now that I think about it, by time I sold it I had replaced everything but the dashboard, roof mechanism and rear interior upholstery panels. Still have its original engine though. This is the second car I had it in, don't have that car any more either, but still have the engine and trans.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	200ci ford 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	16.8 KB ID:	1870748
                          Rick, it's the proverbial "Grand pa's hammer". Pacifica, where even wood rust. Not sure where it's spent it's life, somewhere wet no doubt, or maybe the windows were always down? Maybe it was built on a Friday and the primer painter was on break when it went down the line.
                          Last edited by Topper2011; 12-18-2020, 05:57 AM.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	PC180838.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1871021

Well, it's official, I'm terrible at welding, especially plug welding.

Name:	PC190841.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1871022

On the plus side, the paint stripper worked pretty well.

Name:	PC190843.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1871023
                            I'm thinking of fixing the pits with the lead, but not sure it will stick in this case.

Name:	PC190845.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1871024

Comment

• Actually your welding has improved by leaps and bounds. You just need to practice your plug welds at a slower wire speed and higher amps. What you have are clean, just not penetrated enough to my eye. I just don't see any heat spread into the surrounding metal.

Bob

Comment

• Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                                Actually your welding has improved by leaps and bounds. You just need to practice your plug welds at a slower wire speed and higher amps. What you have are clean, just not penetrated enough to my eye. I just don't see any heat spread into the surrounding metal.

Bob
                                Thanks Bob, I was doing the exact opposite, lower amps and more speed. I will do that on Monday.

Comment

Working...
                                X