No announcement yet.

My Half A$$ Studebaker Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to try to plug the rear fender corners with the Flex-Seal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA260838.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	1862740

Name:	PA260837.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1862741

You can see the daylight coming though.

Name:	PA260836.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1862742

Ok, that didn't work. The Flex-Seal is really watery and caused the tape to unglue and spill out. I think I'll order some Butyl instead and just pack it in.

Comment

• I had a 1/2 can of expanding foam that had clogged nozzle and tip, so a l drilled through and it started coming out like The Blob!

Name:	PA270835.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1862886

Name:	PA270836.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1862887

Name:	PA270837.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1862888

Name:	PA270838.JPG
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1862889

At least it found and filled the openings. Going to wait overnight before carving it into shape.

Comment

• Time to face the floor. I thought it would be a good idea to brace the opening, so I used some fancy metal.

Name:	PA270832.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	1862892

Another free bed frame from CL.

Name:	PA270833.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1862893

I still need to make an upper brace, but I didn't think I could get back into the car to pull it back into the garage. I may make the upper piece bolt in. Ran out of time today, so going to call it.

Comment

• Funny thing is , I've used many bed frames for building stuff too. But, when I needed a bed frame, I had to make one from angle iron.

On that expanding foam; once you've carved it, spray it with the flex seal, latex calk or whatever and paint it. If you leave it on its own it will oxidize and turn to dust over time (several years). Looking good though! I was going to recommend getting one of those 1.5" diameter tubes of silicone and have at it.
          sigpic

Comment

• Sealing that spay foam from water penetration is a must because if it gets wet the metal against it will rust. The stuff absorbs moisture like crazy. That is what happened to my wife's VW beetle...someone shot the foam up the rear pillars of the roof(perhaps for sound damping?) and it rusted from the inside out. What a time consuming mess to clean it out and weld in new metal to what was otherwise a rust-free car. cheers, junior
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

• Originally posted by bensherb View Post
              Funny thing is , I've used many bed frames for building stuff too. But, when I needed a bed frame, I had to make one from angle iron.

On that expanding foam; once you've carved it, spray it with the flex seal, latex calk or whatever and paint it. If you leave it on its own it will oxidize and turn to dust over time (several years). Looking good though! I was going to recommend getting one of those 1.5" diameter tubes of silicone and have at it.
              Originally posted by junior View Post
              Sealing that spay foam from water penetration is a must because if it gets wet the metal against it will rust. The stuff absorbs moisture like crazy. That is what happened to my wife's VW beetle...someone shot the foam up the rear pillars of the roof(perhaps for sound damping?) and it rusted from the inside out. What a time consuming mess to clean it out and weld in new metal to what was otherwise a rust-free car. cheers, junior
              Thanks guys. I am planning on carving and sealing it and painting it with my water based paint. I was worried the Flex Seal is going to dissolve the foam as it did with the tape that was sealing the openings. I'll experiment with the excess laying in the trash first and see what works.

Comment

• Time to slay my next dragon.

Name:	PA280833.JPG
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1863032

I wish I had a shop to work in with a lift. This will have to do.

Name:	PA280834.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1863033

Added the second brace, but this one can be unbolted.

Name:	PA280835.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1863034

No rust through of the torque boxes here.

Name:	PA280838.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1863035

Starting to cut through the floor, nasty stuff.

Comment

• Found a new mascot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PA280837.JPG Views:	0 Size:	170.4 KB ID:	1863037

Click image for larger version  Name:	PA280840.JPG Views:	0 Size:	122.0 KB ID:	1863038

There must be a better way to approach this. I'll have to slowly disassemble the new parts to see what I can salvage and how best to reassemble this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PA280841.JPG Views:	0 Size:	96.5 KB ID:	1863039

I did paint the lower repair section of the fender and of course, it doesn't match. Tomorrow, I cut out some more floor and start on the replacement pieces.
                  Last edited by Topper2011; 10-29-2020, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• Reminds me of a Ferrari prancing horse
                    Bob
                    Bob
                    Welland Ontario
                    60 Lark Convertible
                    64 Daytona
                    sigpic
                    "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

• Originally posted by pinehurstbob View Post
                      Reminds me of a Ferrari prancing horse
                      Bob
                      A hairy one!

Comment

• Not too much done today. I find myself staring at the car a lot, wondering, how did I get myself into this mess. Good thing one of my kids was home along with my wife we moved the new floor to a better spot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PA290832.JPG Views:	0 Size:	161.4 KB ID:	1863188

Click image for larger version  Name:	PA290832.JPG Views:	0 Size:	78.8 KB ID:	1863186

This is going to replace...

Click image for larger version  Name:	PA290835.JPG Views:	0 Size:	130.1 KB ID:	1863187

this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PA290833.JPG Views:	0 Size:	101.5 KB ID:	1863189

I thought I did shoddy work. Guess I'm not using this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	PA290833.JPG Views:	0 Size:	101.5 KB ID:	1863189

I thought I did shoddy work. Guess I'm not using this.
                          Is that WOOD!?!

Comment

• I was really wondering why the red car was cut up, it looks pretty solid from the photos you’ve posted of the pieces.

The wooden rocker panel solves that mystery.

Comment

• " I find myself staring at the car a lot, wondering, how did I get myself into this mess." oh man can I relate. My Dad would always ask..."why can't you just leave things alone kid?" which was really a case of the apple not falling too far from the tree...ha! I have plastered old TW covers on the ceiling of my garage and a hanging storage shelve above my Stude, that way when I'm wondering what the hell I'm doing lying on the creeper I just stare up at all the beautiful Studes. Keeps me motivated, as does your build, so you can't quit now, look how far you've come!
                              sigpic
                              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

• Started the disassembly of the replacement floor. It helps me find where the tack welds are. It also helps me destroy the replacement piece.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PA300838.JPG Views:	0 Size:	128.6 KB ID:	1863333

Trying to get it to a manageable size by cutting the cowling off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PA300834.JPG Views:	0 Size:	113.0 KB ID:	1863334

Outer rocker off and the inner doesn't look too bad, no rust throughs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PA300836.JPG Views:	0 Size:	144.6 KB ID:	1863335

The "filler" piece. It was actually screwed into the inner rocker. The outer was just dented and a sliding hammer would have probably fixed it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PA300835.JPG Views:	0 Size:	134.6 KB ID:	1863336

Replacement piece doesn't have the same curvature or the extension pieces that tack weld under the fenders. I will deal with it as I getting closer to installing them. Gotta go drop one of the kids off at the airport.

Comment

Working...
                                X