No announcement yet.

My Half A$$ Studebaker Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland, your right side tank bracket is correct. Mine is the same, at about 3 3/8" long.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1523.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1852953

Comment

• Originally posted by bensherb View Post
      Roland, your right side tank bracket is correct. Mine is the same, at about 3 3/8" long.

Name:	IMG_1523.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1852953
      Rick, yes, but it seems the new trunk floor doesn't have the depression low enough to reuse the stock bracket. it could also be where I ended up welding it as well. i could probably see if I can remake the reinforcement like the original floor pan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post

Rick, yes, but it seems the new trunk floor doesn't have the depression low enough to reuse the stock bracket. it could also be where I ended up welding it as well. i could probably see if I can remake the reinforcement like the original floor pan.
        Oh, ok. As long as the tank doesn't hang too low and sits relitively level, I wouldn't worry about it either. As long as the reinforcement in the floor is suffucient to carry the weight of a full tank, I'd make a longer mount as you suggested. It seems odd that the left sid mounts would be ok but the right side one is 2" too short.

Comment

Oh, ok. As long as the tank doesn't hang too low and sits relitively level, I wouldn't worry about it either. As long as the reinforcement in the floor is suffucient to carry the weight of a full tank, I'd make a longer mount as you suggested. It seems odd that the left sid mounts would be ok but the right side one is 2" too short.
          The left side mounts to brackets mounted to the frame on my car, while the right side single mount is attached to the floor, of which I made a miscalculation. Boy, this bodywork stuff is tricky.

Comment

• Was checking through my Photobucket pictures and ran across some older photos. Wondering if anyone recognizes these two cars.

Name:	Avanti.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1853207

This was at Dream Machines, probably around 2010?

Name:	Racing Avanti.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1853208

This was at the BAE show around the same time. Guess I was going to be a Studebaker owner back then.

Comment

• I went on a little trip yesterday.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P8290832.JPG Views:	0 Size:	71.9 KB ID:	1853602

The burned hillsides of Highway 152 the firefighters worked so hard to put out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P8290835.JPG Views:	0 Size:	139.3 KB ID:	1853603

Fellow SDC member wanted to have this car hauled off. As others have said, there are definitely bodies out there that are better than mine. This was one of them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P8290836.JPG Views:	0 Size:	135.9 KB ID:	1853604

It's all mine now, well except the roof.

Name:	P8290837.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1853606

Attached Files

Comment

• Finally got all the treasures off the truck today.

Name:	P8300835.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	1853608

Name:	P8300837.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1853609

Name:	P8300834.JPG
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	1853610

I actually like the 63 turn signal grilles better than my 62s.

Name:	P8300832.JPG
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	1853611

Comment

• But wait, there's more!

Name:	P8300842.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	1853617

Name:	P8300839.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	1853618Click image for larger version

Name:	P8300833.JPG
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1853619

Name:	P8300843.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1853616

Having this dash board will come in handy as it will replaced the slightly melted harness in my car.

Comment

• You should have said something Roland, I have a trailer, could have hauled it in one piece. If you use the (in my opinion ugly) '63 side grills, you'll need to use the '63 hood too. They are different where they meet the grills. I'm not a fan of the mods they made to the '63/'64 side grills and headlight rings, I do however prefer the later main grill screen to the '62 one and like the '63 rear grill better too. And the '64 hood ornamet is just cool!

Comment

You should have said something Roland, I have a trailer, could have hauled it in one piece. If you use the (in my opinion ugly) '63 side grills, you'll need to use the '63 hood too. They are different where they meet the grills. I'm not a fan of the mods they made to the '63/'64 side grills and headlight rings, I do however prefer the later main grill screen to the '62 one and like the '63 rear grill better too. And the '64 hood ornamet is just cool!
                      No worries, it would have needed cutting up anyway and he saved me a lot of time. I didn't need the roof and hope someone else can use it. I didn't know about the side grilles wouldn't fit my hood. That's too bad, as I think my hood may be in slightly better shape. You saved me a lot of grief. I was going to pull the front bumper off tomorrow to try out the side grilles.

Comment

• The new parts I picked up is already paying for itself.

Name:	P9010838.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	1853994

I was wondering how I was going to make the right side fuel tank reinforcement plate, but the "new" trunk floor had a good one.

Name:	P9010839.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1853995

This is where I have to massage the floor to the depth to accommodate the plate. I mounted the tank and marked the underside and drilled the hole for the mount.

Name:	P9010842.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1853996

Took some pounding to fit the plate, but it's done.

Name:	P9010843.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1853997

Trial fit and it looks like it fits and even able to use the original bracket for this side. I was off on drilling the hole, but you can "clock" the bracket for different reach.

Comment

• The wiring harness for the rear lights needed new tape, so I replaced the Elliot tape with new.

Name:	P8310832.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1853999

I wanted to reroute the tail harness back in it's place.

Name:	P8310833.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1854000

Now I can put the trunk lid back on for more body work.

Name:	P8310835.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1854001

I put the hinges in the down position, placed the trunk lid, then bolted the lid to the hinges from the inside of the trunk. It was just manageable for me by myself.

Comment

• Go, man, go! It’s looking great!
                            Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Comment

• Originally posted by Daan View Post
                              Go, man, go! It’s looking great!
                              Don't look too closely.

Comment

• Had to go out to ACE hardware for some fender washers for the fuel tank. The ones I bought on Friday disappeared somewhere in my garage.
                                I also got some shims for the trunk lid.

Name:	P9010837.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1854150

Fuel sender installed and taped the wire to hold it in place as it plugs in near the license plate lamp. With my replacement-replacement washers, I installed the tank.

Name:	P9020833.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	1854151

This is the fuel filler neck and I don't have a sand blaster, but I do have Evaporust!

Name:	P9020834.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1854152

I didn't want to waste all of my Evaporust, so I sealed the ends.

Name:	P9020835.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1854153

I'll let it marinade over night and then flip it over.

Comment

Working...
                                X