• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version

Name:	P5200847.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1836969

At least my plug welds look slightly better, but I'm not going to build any bridges with my skills.

Comment

• May I humbly suggest that you gather some scraps and take some time to do some practice welding? The pic I'm trying to post I stole off the internet. So, it is not my welding. As I have said often...I am not a welder and I have the welds to prove it. But, the panel you have posted looks to have poor weld "penetration." Which means it will have pinholes, voids, cracks, and weakness in the joined areas. It is likely that the pooled up pimples of weld are kinda stuck to the metal pieces but not really "joined." In my first attempts, I practiced and just couldn't get one of the smooth stitchings/beads like I had seen the professionals do. Turned out, in addition to my lack of skill, setting voltage, and feed rate...I also had a poor lead and gun. So, I bought a better gun and that helped to feed the wire more consistently.

Next...with some scrap metal, I began to experiment with the settings. I burned up and blew holes through metal until I became bold enough to learn how much I could "push the envelop" of finding the limits between where you can lay in a molten bead or blow through the workpiece. Once you get comfortable with that, you can relax and control the nozzle for good penetration and a well-formed weld bead. You will become used to a sound kinda like frying bacon when you have good control of the nozzle. I say this humbly because it has been so long since I have fired up my wire welder...I'll probably have to retrain myself.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

• Hey Topper...Apparently, you were posting more pics while I was typing my above post. Those welds look MUCH better.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

• Originally posted by jclary View Post
          Hey Topper...Apparently, you were posting more pics while I was typing my above post. Those welds look MUCH better.
          Thanks, but I cannot take credit for the welds around the panel piece where the "hump" is, only the plug welds. I guess I'm practicing on the pieces I'm welding. LOL! I am blowing holes and chasing them, but seems I don't get enough heat when I turn it down the next level. I will practice on a piece of scrap as you suggests, as I am dissatisfied with the welds I am doing.

Comment

• Got a late start, but was able to get started on the left rear inner fender.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5220837.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1837331

Going to have to order the "tunnel" for the filler. Mine is too far gone to try to fix.

Name:	P5220838.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1837332

Once I get the tunnel, I can form the bead for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
              [ATTACH=JSON]

At least my plug welds look slightly better, but I'm not going to build any bridges with my skills.
              Topper, I have found that trying to run a bead on 60+ year old thin sheet metal is next to impossible. What I have started doing is putting tack welds in, one right after the other. You only have to release the mig gun trigger about a half second each time.

Another adage I picked up from Ave on YouTube.

"A grinder and paint
              Make me the welder I ain't."

Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post

Topper, I have found that trying to run a bead on 60+ year old thin sheet metal is next to impossible. What I have started doing is putting tack welds in, one right after the other. You only have to release the mig gun trigger about a half second each time.

"A grinder and paint

Jerry, yes, it's like welding cheese. I like this guys welding method of pulsing between tack welds.

https://youtu.be/qScAlxb34UA

Comment

"A grinder and paint

I was just watching aVe this morning. He is awesome.

Comment

• Got a little piece done today. It's 97 degrees today and dealing with this, one of several.

Name:	P5250838.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1837937

This and the heat, makes wearing coveralls kind of a pain.

Name:	P5250832.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	0
ID:	1837938

Name:	P5250834.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1837939

Name:	P5250837.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1837940

Not sure why the original had one large oval hole and some spongy, rot attracting rubber was packed in it. I would assume for condensation to escape from between panels.

Comment

"A grinder and paint

Jerry, yes, it's like welding cheese. I like this guys welding method of pulsing between tack welds.

Attached Files

Comment

"A grinder and paint

Attached Files

Comment

• My welding is getting easier for me as I think I've finally dialed in my speed and power settings. I don't think I'm helping things by using an extension cord, but so far, I hear bacon frying!

Name:	P5280837.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1839077

Name:	P5300832.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1839078

This is the back side of the latch area that also has a "L" bracket that joins this back piece to the trunk floor pan. It's pretty thin.

Name:	P5300837.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1839079

I added a reinforcement piece.

Name:	P5300835.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1839080

Hope the paint hides my Franken-welds.

Comment

• Got a box today.

Name:	P6010832.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1839082

Name:	P6010833.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1839083

Thanks Howard!

Still needs a few linkages and a hinge to make it functional. I not sure if I'm going to fix my whiskey dent or not. I'm thinking the "patina" look that is all the rage now.

Comment

• One hurdle at a time. Worked on the trunk floor reinforcement, sure wish I had a bead roller.

Name:	P6030837.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1839319

Name:	P6030838.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1839320

Name:	P6030842.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1839321

Just need to trim it down just before I install it.

Comment

• I finished the left support for the rear deck.

Name:	P6020832.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1839323

I drilled some lightening holes in it as well as the other side since it look pretty ugly plain. Splash a little paint on them and no one will ever know.

Name:	P6020833.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	1839324

Name:	P6030843.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1839325

Test fitting the back panel that ties everything together. I going to have to beat it into shape, like the video said, it doesn't fit that well.

Comment

Working...
                                X