Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Daan View Post
    https://youtu.be/QmwjA-2E_b8
    its a video of a guy who tested out a bunch of different Rust products. I was gonna try one of these on my Hawk... NOT the POR, though-I jumped through all the hoops you need to do for POR on a different vehicle, and pretty much everywhere I used it, it either flakes off, or the rust bubbled up through the POR... (and yes, I did it all exactly how the directions said)
    Im not a fan of the POR stuff!
    Yes, I watched his first test and was awaiting his followup. I actually bought the ACE Hardware rust stop because of Part 1 of this guy's video. I found it really thin paint and didn't have much confidence in it. I did use POR-15 on my frame and found it gave a porcelain type coating to the frame. Any rough area I missed, I used the ACE on it since it's in spray cans. I plan on using the ACE spray paint on the hard to access spots. I saw your pictures of rust and wish you luck, it's pretty extensive, but did look more like surface rust.

Comment

• Removed the tattered old headliner and labelled the hanger rods.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5140837.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1835675

You have to wonder if the cars were dipped, it would be more rust free. I am impressed by how they tried to insulate the car as I removed a large sheet from the roof and sheets from the sail panels.

Name:	P5140832.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1835676

I wanted to remove the rear glass, but thought I'd remove the broken windshield first to get a feel for how hard it's going to be. Not lost if I damage it.

Name:	P5140843.JPG
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1835677

Well, that wasn't too bad.

Name:	P5140844.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1835678

The weatherstrip had some sort of mastic on it. I am surprised at how good the window channel is considering the abundance of rust everywhere else. I did wipe down the roof with acetone getting it ready for POR-15 tomorrow.

Comment

• Rear window removal was a little harder and I worried about pushing it out only to have it land on the floor with a crash. Luckily, it didn't happen.

Name:	P5150832.JPG
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1835869

My arms aren't long enough to push it from the inside and grab it from the outside. After cutting the inner lip of the rock hard weatherstrip, it still wouldn't come out. I fished a string in and used it like a cutter to go through the weatherstrip and the mastic.

Name:	P5150834.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1835870

It's out and stored for now. The headliner goes around the same lip the weatherstrip wraps around, so I had to remove the glass anyway.

Name:	P5150837.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1835871

First coat is on, so I'm taking a break before the second coat which requires about 2-3 hours.

Name:	P5150838.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1835872

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
          Removed the tattered old headliner and labelled the hanger rods.

Name:	P5140837.JPG
Views:	204
ID:	1835675

You have to wonder if the cars were dipped, it would be more rust free. I am impressed by how they tried to insulate the car as I removed a large sheet from the roof and sheets from the sail panels.

omorrow.

That’s exactly what the inside of my car looks like.... I would be extremely surprised if they dipped these things when they built them. Pretty much every “hard to get to” panel on my Hawk is solid surface rust, so I plan on coating EVERYTHING so I don’t end up with a pile of holes in a year or two... All my tools live in my garage (where the Hawk is) and pretty much all of those are rusty after a few years So anything I can do to preserve my Hawk I gotta do.

And considering that my whole trunk weatherstripping area is full of holes, that’s what I expected my window channels to look like. I’m cautiously optimistic now after seeing yours!

Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Comment

• I believe that Studebaker (in the early 1960s) advertised that they sprayed an aluminum paint inside where the bodies tended to rust. As I recall American Motors advertised that they dipped their body shells in some kind of rustproofing paint.
            -Dwight

Comment

That’s exactly what the inside of my car looks like.... I would be extremely surprised if they dipped these things when they built them. Pretty much every “hard to get to” panel on my Hawk is solid surface rust, so I plan on coating EVERYTHING so I don’t end up with a pile of holes in a year or two... All my tools live in my garage (where the Hawk is) and pretty much all of those are rusty after a few years So anything I can do to preserve my Hawk I gotta do.

And considering that my whole trunk weatherstripping area is full of holes, that’s what I expected my window channels to look like. I’m cautiously optimistic now after seeing yours!
              The insulation I removed is some sort of water absorbing jute material. It seems to have done it job well, hence the rust. I was very surprised by how nice the front and rear window channels were.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
                I believe that Studebaker (in the early 1960s) advertised that they sprayed an aluminum paint inside where the bodies tended to rust. As I recall American Motors advertised that they dipped their body shells in some kind of rustproofing paint.
                -Dwight
                That would explain why I do see what I thought was bare steel. It may be the aluminum paint you speak of. I think they should have used a bit more. AMC used Ziebart iirc.

Comment

• Time to tackle more rust.

Name:	P5180847.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1836496

I'm wondering if this was a factory tack weld job. I don't see any damage or other repairs.

Name:	P5180849.JPG
Views:	143
ID:	1836497

Tough spot to get into and the rust on the panels behind it are impossible for me to clean up.

Name:	P5180861.JPG
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1836498

This was a scrap piece that I had cut off the trunk floor.

Name:	P5180863.JPG
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	1836499

A spritz of weldable primer.

Comment

• In place.

Name:	P5180866.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1836502

It certainly isn't any prettier than the original, but at least it's a new piece of steel.

Name:	P5180865.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	1836503

I made a copper backing for filling any blow throughs as per suggested.

Name:	P5180855.JPG
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1836504

I want to replace these rusty hinge bolts. I believe they are called "T"-bolts.I couldn't find these from SI. Guess I'll get it from another source. I ended up punching this out from the fender.

Name:	P5180854.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1836505

Ooops.

Comment

• Working on the even more rotted left side.

Name:	P5180851.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1836507

Seems I have more work ahead of me.

Name:	P5180856.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1836508

Time to call it a day.

Comment

• Is this on top of the wheel “tub” to the sail panel? There’s lots of surface rust on mine behind that area I need to do something with...
                        Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Comment

Is this on top of the wheel “tub” to the sail panel? There’s lots of surface rust on mine behind that area I need to do something with...
                          Yes, both sides are pretty crusty. For some reason, this car is rustier on the left side than the right.

Comment

• Since I'm terrible at butt welding, I decided to try lap welding.

Name:	P5200840.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	1836950

Leftside rust through of the brace area.

Name:	P5200841.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	1836951

Name:	P5200842.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	1836952

Name:	P5200851.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	1836953

Nope, still bad at it.

Comment

• Ok, I'm moving on to plug welding then. I had to remove the reinforcement for the spare tire hold down.

Name:	P5200833.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	1836960

Name:	P5200834.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1836961

This tack weld remover actually worked, as long as it's in the drill press for stability.

Name:	P5200836.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1836962

It's out and I later cleaned it up and weld through primer was applied.

Name:	P5200846.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1836963

Found a bolt to hold it in place.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	P5200847.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1836965

At least my plug welds look slightly better, but I'm not going to build any bridges with my skills.

Comment

Working...
                                X