No announcement yet.

My Half A$$ Studebaker Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to thank 55s for his help on removing the rear fenders in my inquiry on the Tech forum. I spread the end of the V moulding strip and popped it off. I used two large putty knives to help pop off the clips holding down the strip.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4230834.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.1 KB ID:	1831808

Lot's of fastening bits to remove, but it's off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4230836.JPG Views:	0 Size:	119.2 KB ID:	1831809

Digging out the pile of dirt inside the quarter panel below the right rear window.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4230842.JPG Views:	0 Size:	60.9 KB ID:	1831810

Now I can get to fabbing up the replacement panels for the trunk walls.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4230837.JPG Views:	0 Size:	143.5 KB ID:	1831811
    Last edited by Topper2011; 04-23-2020, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• I looked into the overdrive solenoid to see if I can get it to work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4210832.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1831813

I cleaned the contacts, but without a little help, the coil doesn't seem strong enough to pull the plunger down enough to overcome the spring. This was my spare solenoid and I will remove the current one when I get a chance.

Comment

• "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
        R.W. Emerson

Comment

• Tried and couldn't find a way to add it to the picture posted above, but that was posted 07/08/'18

My how the world has changed since then.
          "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
          R.W. Emerson

Comment

• Originally posted by dleroux View Post
            Tried and couldn't find a way to add it to the picture posted above, but that was posted 07/08/'18

My how the world has changed since then.

In my own diabolical way, I increased my toilet paper supply by taking the old oil filter system off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post

In my own diabolical way, I increased my toilet paper supply by taking the old oil filter system off.
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

• Got some work done today.

Name:	P5020837.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	1833457

Pulled the left rear fender off. I expected it to be in worse condition, given the rust hole in it.

Name:	P5020845.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1833458

Did a lot of trial fitting and cutting of the new trunk floor.

Name:	P5020843.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1833459

Took several hours, but it can't be fitted further until I replace the rusty side panels. I'm done for today though.

Comment

• I failed on clearing up the weeds today. The old Ryobi weedwhacker hasn't been used in a long time. Seems sitting around for 7+ years has caused the fuel lines and primer bulb to crumble. It did run enough to clear some weeds before it starting leaking fuel all over the place. Time to find something else to keep busy.

Found this at a job site.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P5040834.JPG Views:	0 Size:	135.1 KB ID:	1833852

I think it's some sort of stake. I have a plan for it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P5040833.JPG Views:	0 Size:	162.9 KB ID:	1833853

I need this part of the old trailer hitch. It's not going back on the car anyway.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P5040836.JPG Views:	0 Size:	122.1 KB ID:	1833854

My welds look like crap.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P5040838.JPG Views:	0 Size:	116.3 KB ID:	1833855

Click image for larger version  Name:	P5040841.JPG Views:	0 Size:	110.9 KB ID:	1833856

We'll see how it holds up later.
                  Last edited by Topper2011; 05-04-2020, 03:53 PM.

Comment

• The stake is called a nail stake, used to set concrete forms. The small holes are for nailing the form board to the stake. Looks like you found a new purpose for it. The trunk floor is looking good!

Comment

• Thanks. Any guesses as to what I made?

Comment

• Topper, is it an anvil to use for straightening stainless steel trim?
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

• Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                          Topper, is it an anvil to use for straightening stainless steel trim?
                          You're on the right track, but not quite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
                            Thanks. Any guesses as to what I made?
                            It could be used as an anvil for various metal work or you could flip it over and use it with a die to put a rounded crease in sheet metal.
                            "In the heart of Arkansas."
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

• Originally posted by 52-fan View Post

It could be used as an anvil for various metal work or you could flip it over and use it with a die to put a rounded crease in sheet metal.
                              Yep, that's it. Called a "T" dolly. Eastwood sells a set of them for $89, about the price of a replacement parcel shelf. I want to fix the horrible beads I hammered into the new floor board I made. Hopefully my imagination of them becoming perfect come true.

Comment

• Cool, I'll be watching to see how this works out Topper. I have floor pans to make for a Champ pickup and have been trying to figure out the best way to add stiffening beads in the metal without popping for a bead roller.
                                Paul
                                Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Working...
                                X