My Half A$$ Studebaker Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by r1lark View Post
    Roland, you will love using the gas with the MIG. It makes sooooo much cleaner welds!
    I'm looking forward to that and getting closer to it.

Comment

• Weather was good enough to do some work on the car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1250833.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1818439

Right side is only slightly better than the left side.

Name:	P1250836.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1818440

Stripped the bed frame of the cross bars and mounted it to the work bench.

Name:	P1250840.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1818441

Glad I didn't get 16ga.

Name:	P1250842.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1818442

Name:	P1250843.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1818443

Name:	P1250844.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1818444

Glad this mess is going to be covered in bedliner material, Dynamat, and carpet.

Comment

• Went to the local Studebaker Zone meet last night.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• I had been thinking of joining them since I'm already a national member. We had pizza and saw some people I knew there. We watched some cool old videos transferred from 16mm to DVDs To preserve the originals. I learned Studebaker did a lot more than build odd, but cool cars. They did military applications like the weasel, worked in aerospace heat shielding, Clarke flooring machines, Gravely lawn equipment and even imported Mercedes Benz.
              Last edited by Topper2011; 02-09-2020, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• Lat night worked perfectly. I picked this up at the meet from a CJMC club member.

Name:	P2090832.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1820498

Met with and invited the president of the CJMC to the meet as he's interested in history and also the vice president of the Lincoln Highway association and even owns a rare, aluminum 6 cylinder Rambler.

Comment

• Wow, that looks like a great old drill press. Probably much more accurate than my Chinese one.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                  10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                  56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                  60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

• that's a neat way to bend the metal.. did you just hammer that down after the clamping?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                      that's a neat way to bend the metal.. did you just hammer that down after the clamping?
                      Yes, I just hammered a little at a time to prevent kinking it. I had thought of screwing everything down in the middle of the frames to get a crisper bend in the center, but then I'd have to weld up any holes I added. I did use more clamps there though.

Comment

• Not much progress this weekend. Too much work and not enough on the Hawk.

Name:	P2020832.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1821426

I got these in the mail for free as they are samples.

Name:	P2160834.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1821427

Hose protection installed. These actually have grooves installed for cable ties. Pretty cool and the price was right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
                          Not much progress this weekend. Too much work and not enough on the Hawk.
                          Hose protection installed. These actually have grooves installed for cable ties. Pretty cool and the price was right.
                          I am not familiar with those. What do they do exactly?
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

• Originally posted by 52-fan View Post

I am not familiar with those. What do they do exactly?
                            Due to the new aluminum radiator, the lower hose contacted the frame, resulting in needing some abrasion protection. These are listed as hose protection and requesting a couple samples from a company, they sent both of those to me. Can't beat the price.

Comment

• Is that the lower hose laying against the front crossmember?

On our '53 the crossmember has a factory dent in it for lower hose clearance, my '62 has that same dent, but it's about 4" too close to center to be of any help with the '62 lower hose. The stock '62 radiator outlet was high enough to just clear the crossmember but it was lower on my aluminum radiator too.

Here's what I did: I fixed it just as the factory did for the '53. My radiator hose now runs through the new dent and my transmission cooler lines run through the factory one.

Name:	IMG_0846.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1821635Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0847.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1821636

Name:	IMG_0872.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1821637

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                                Is that the lower hose laying against the front crossmember?

On our '53 the crossmember has a factory dent in it for lower hose clearance, my '62 has that same dent, but it's about 4" too close to center to be of any help with the '62 lower hose. The stock '62 radiator outlet was high enough to just clear the crossmember but it was lower on my aluminum radiator too.

Here's what I did: I fixed it just as the factory did for the '53. My radiator hose now runs through the new dent and my transmission cooler lines run through the factory one.

Name:	IMG_0846.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1821635Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0847.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1821636

Name:	IMG_0872.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1821637
                                Yes, it rubs the crossmember. I've gone through several lengths of lower hose and finally settled on this one which does rub the frame. This little shield is made for hose protection, but next time I've got the hose off, I'll modify the frame for clearance.

Comment

Working...
                                X