No announcement yet.

My Half A$$ Studebaker Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I never had any problem with the flex fan, it worked well and cooling was fine. I put it on after I mangled the stock fan when it tore into the shroud when I broke an engine mount. The main reason I went to the electric fan was to eliminate the massive fan shroud. It made it impossible to do anything at the front of the engine without removing it. At least I made it two piece so I only had to remove the top half. I've had that shroud off and on more times than I care to count. You'll see when you go to bolt that fan on with it in the way.

Actually the way to do it is to install the fan, slide the shroud over it, then install the radiator, then bring the shroud to the radiator and bolt it up.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by bensherb View Post
      I never had any problem with the flex fan, it worked well and cooling was fine. I put it on after I mangled the stock fan when it tore into the shroud when I broke an engine mount. The main reason I went to the electric fan was to eliminate the massive fan shroud. It made it impossible to do anything at the front of the engine without removing it. At least I made it two piece so I only had to remove the top half. I've had that shroud off and on more times than I care to count. You'll see when you go to bolt that fan on with it in the way.

Actually the way to do it is to install the fan, slide the shroud over it, then install the radiator, then bring the shroud to the radiator and bolt it up.
      Yes, I found that out the hard way. Remove the bolts to the shroud, push back towards the engine, remove fan, then remove shroud. I am trying to see if I can run the generator, so I don't think the charging will be sufficient for the cooling fans since they like to come on at low idle or beep and creep traffic.

Comment

• Well, I had a small bike ride with the club that ended up fetching the stalled bike on a side street a mile away from the starting point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5110373.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	1728021

It was quite a turn out and we took off in a flurry of smoke and sound. The fury of angry bees going down the street was intoxicating until Cal had to pull off, his bike had stalled. I pulled over to see if he could restart and my bike was idling happily until it didn't. I tried restarting it, but I only have so many kicks in me and gave up. I realize I had forgotten to take my tools as this bike tends to foul the plugs with the oil injection. Good thing we were only a mile into our ride and Cal and I walked back to fetch the trucks and load the bikes back up. Tired and hot, we decided why not get lunch! Good answer.

Name:	P5110389.jpg
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1728022

Since I try not to waste my weekend, progress on the Hawk is needed. The service manual doesn't mention sealer between the housing and backing plate, so it would seem a good idea to throw some 3M gasket sealer in there to keep the grease from making a mess and water out. I could be wrong, but it can't hurt either.

Name:	P5110390.jpg
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	1728023

Name:	P5110392.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1728024

You know, Studebaker gets a bad rap considered being a "cheap" car. Even my dad told me they were bad cars. He liked Chevys. I was admiring the detail of this rear brake when I was reassembling it. There are stops on the lands the shoes ride on that prevent the shoes from moving all over the place. Also, the plate that rides between the tops of the shoes help with the self energizing effect and relocating center. Even the delicate spring on the parking brake crossbar to help center the bar on the rear shoe. None of the drum brakes Ive worked on had these features. Each of these costs money, so Studebaker made some investments in their products. I'm impressed.

Name:	P5110394.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1728025

I put the heater back in so I can run the hoses. I'm having a heck of a time finding tension clamps for the heater hoses as they measure the clamps as actual size, not for the intended hose size.I hate the stainless worm clamps and the constant tension clamps are better for your car. Anyone with modern plastic tank cars, reuse your factory clamps, the worm type have a pressure point under the screw area and can crack your radiator outlet. Unfortunately, newer hoses are thinner than the original, so you cannot use the wire spring clamps on them.
        Last edited by Topper2011; 05-12-2019, 07:14 AM.

Comment

• I enjoy reading about your progress and assorted other things.
          You wouldn't have been too warm here. It was 43 degrees F and raining when I came home from a firehouse breakfast this morning (about 10AM).
          I have had a Chevrolet spindle sheer off on an Interstate highway, but I have never had a Studebaker spindle sheer, or remember ever working on one that did.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

• [QUOTE=Topper2011;1157133]Well, I had a small bike ride with the club that ended up fetching the stalled bike on a side street a mile away from the starting point.

Name:	P5110373.jpg
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	1728021quote]

Was that a CJMC "small bike scramble" ? I took my Yamaha YSR50 on one, over Mt Hamilton a couple years ago, last year I took my Honda CM200, yea, they limit size at 175cc but they said it was fine, "just don't run anyone down". Honestly, I had more trouble not running the others down when on the YSR. With riding to the starting point, on the ride and the trip home, the 170 mile trip was a long day for either the 50 or 200 but it was a heck of a lot of fun, especially the ride with 40 other tiny bikes.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80951[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80952[/ATTACH]

[FONT=Tahoma]
              Check your PMs.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

• [QUOTE=bensherb;1157175]
                Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
                Well, I had a small bike ride with the club that ended up fetching the stalled bike on a side street a mile away from the starting point.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80949[/ATTACH]quote]

Was that a CJMC "small bike scramble" ? I took my Yamaha YSR50 on one, over Mt Hamilton a couple years ago, last year I took my Honda CM200, yea, they limit size at 175cc but they said it was fine, "just don't run anyone down". Honestly, I had more trouble not running the others down when on the YSR. With riding to the starting point, on the ride and the trip home, the 170 mile trip was a long day for either the 50 or 200 but it was a heck of a lot of fun, especially the ride with 40 other tiny bikes.

Yes, this was the Livermore Small bike this time. Now that I think of it, I think I've seen you on the ride last year, around September? I was riding the TS100 that got a flat 4 miles from The Junction. We went from San Jose over Mt Hamilton and to the Junction for lunch and then return the same way. Really a fun ride, without the flat tire of course.

Comment

• Yep, on that ride I continue on over to Livermore from the junction, since I live on that side of the hill. Too bad I didn't know it was was on the 11th, I had no plans that day. Probably still wouldn't have made the ride though, my small bikes are currently in Goleta. Smallest I have here currently is a 650, but I usually ride my 883.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                    Yep, on that ride I continue on over to Livermore from the junction, since I live on that side of the hill. Too bad I didn't know it was was on the 11th, I had no plans that day. Probably still wouldn't have made the ride though, my small bikes are currently in Goleta. Smallest I have here currently is a 650, but I usually ride my 883.

We have that one in the second saturday of September. Maybe I'll see you there and we can talk bikes and Studebakers.

Comment

• Well, being that I'm dealing with my axle issues, I moved on.

Name:	P5170376.jpg
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1728107

My Elliot tape came, so now I can finish up the heater motor.

Name:	P5170377.jpg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1728108

Now, I've just got to install the ducting, which Carl said to heat up in boiling water to slip them on. Still need to get the 4" clamps, maybe Home Depot.

Name:	P5180378.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1728109

Look what I scored! Please note: Jeep wheels DO NOT fit my car. The tires hit the tie rods. The back space is too deep for my car. These have a 3.66" back space and the Jeep wheels are over 4.5". Now I have to break down the tires and run them on black wall out. I'm still happy with these new wheels that were on a 63 Falcon.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81083[/ATTACH]
                        Good choice.
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                          Good choice.

Thanks Jerry. I've been cruising CL for quite awhile looking for these.

Comment

Thanks Jerry. I've been cruising CL for quite awhile looking for these.
                            I'll bet you got a good deal on them.
                            I'm still looking for a deal on a pair of 'Old Styles' 15X7's to go on the front of Buttercup. Summit sells new ones for $123 each. They're almost an exact copy of the originals with just a few small differences. The ones on Buttercup in my Sig pic are 14X7's. They are now on my swap meet trailer.
                            Attached Files
                            Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

• Due to being on vacation for two weeks and overtime for two weeks, I finally had some time to work on the Hawk. Finally think I may have a handle on my axle bearing issue, so I buttoned everything up.

Name:	P6140832.jpg
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1728436

Finished the brake lines as well.

Name:	P6140833.jpg
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1728437

Father's Day I was able to find a tire shop open and swapped over the tires onto the Torque Thrust.

Name:	P6160834.jpg
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1728438

I really like the look. This is what it's going to look like since the jack stands are under the axles, it's the height it's going to be. I've never liked the dragging' ass look anyway.

Name:	P6160837.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1728439

Comment

• I was able to put a couple hours into the GT after work today.

Name:	P6170836.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1728440

Loosely installed the blower after heating up the duct in the hot sun.

Name:	P6170833.jpg
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1728441

The heater end was a pain to install, but it's on.

Name:	P6170834.jpg
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1728442

I had bought 10ft of hater hose and ran out before I finished. I still need about 5ft more for the heater valve to the elements. I went with spring tension clamps since I hate the look of the worm type. That was an adventure! I don't know how many various hose clamps I ordered and returned to get enough tension on the thin 5/8" hose, weeks of delay.

Comment

Working...
                                X