My Half A$$ Studebaker Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
    It's made by Oil Pure, uses a roll of toilet paper. It's really old school.. I kind of like it.
    Not meaning to sound so negative, but those toilet paper filters didn't catch on for a reason. Sure, they are cheap to change out, but their failure comes when they start to plug up. That causes them to separate between sheets, offering an unfiltered path for the oil to flow. If kept changed like every 1000 miles, then they work pretty good. They work a lot like a K&N air filter,.....the more crud in them, the better they filter,.....until their layers separate as mentioned.
    HOWEVER, there are pleated paper elements that fit in those cans perfectly. Had a Henry J with one of those filters and switched to the pleated Fram elements. Liked them much better.

Comment

• I have several of that type filter made by Stilco. They work great ,but you do need change the oil regularly. The problem is as they fill with crud they reduce oil pressure, and don't have a bypass valve. So, if when hot at idle you only have 25 psi oil pressure I wouldn't recommend it. I ran two of them on a very hot rodded Ford inline 6 and the oil pressure would drop 20+ psi. Not a problem on that engine as it ran at 70 psi when hot with a regular filter. I would alter the diameter of the replacement paper to fine tune pressure and run around 50 psi when hot; and I changed oil and filter a LOT.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Trikebldr View Post
        Not meaning to sound so negative, but those toilet paper filters didn't catch on for a reason. Sure, they are cheap to change out, but their failure comes when they start to plug up. That causes them to separate between sheets, offering an unfiltered path for the oil to flow. If kept changed like every 1000 miles, then they work pretty good. They work a lot like a K&N air filter,.....the more crud in them, the better they filter,.....until their layers separate as mentioned.
        HOWEVER, there are pleated paper elements that fit in those cans perfectly. Had a Henry J with one of those filters and switched to the pleated Fram elements. Liked them much better.

I've seen this brand before and found a lot of information that was helpful.

https://www.frantzfilters.com

The filter isn't under pressure per se. It's more gravity feed and then drains back to the engine. The media isn't really under pressure that could damage it and they recommend a particular brand and type, single layer for one. The other choice in my case is no filter. I suppose I could retrofit a spin on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trikebldr View Post
          LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that bright red bullet-nose! Is there a thread about it somewhere in this forum? Really looks good without front bumper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4270307.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1727900

I got so wrapped up in yakking that I didn't take many photos. wish I had. The is mounted on an S10 chassis with a 350 Chevy in it. It sounded good when she fired it up to leave.

Comment

• Went to Studebaker West's Swap meet.

Name:	P5040372.jpg
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	1727906

Name:	P5040375.jpg
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1727907

Name:	P5040376.jpg
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	1727908

Name:	P5040385.jpg
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	1727909

Name:	P5040388.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1727910

Name:	P5040381.jpg
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	1727911

Comment

• I was able to get some goodies.

Name:	P5040392.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1727912

An overdrive cable, mine is missing the locating pin that keeps it straight and it's a bit short. Tail lenses, rear window lower chrome, mine are missing and the two fender spears as mine are broken. Very reasonable prices, thanks Anthony! I was able to get some good used axles from Radio Roy, thanks, they like they are in good shape. Energized from my treasure hunt, I went to work when I got home.

Name:	P5040399.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1727913

Replaced the tail shaft seal and the pinion nut with a new one, adding some Loctite for insurance.

Name:	P5040403.jpg
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1727914

Amazing how long it took me to replace the u-joints. It should have taken about 1/2 hour, it ended up being 3. I just could not keep the needle bearings from falling over for some reason. I did finally prevail though and it's finally back in the car.

Name:	P5040406.jpg
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1727915

Comment

• Worked on the wife's car today. Changed out the plugs and cabin filter and a good thing too!

Name:	P5050372.jpg
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1727920

Dang rodents!

Name:	P5050373.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1727921

Installed the axles (hope I did it right) seems like the bearings are riding pretty far in the housing.

Name:	P5050376.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1727922

With the axles in, I buttoned up the carrier and added the modifier and the GL1.

Name:	P5050377.jpg
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1727923

Now I can fill the overdrive and the transmission with the same GL1. That's all for today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80723[/ATTACH]

Amazing how long it took me to replace the u-joints. It should have taken about 1/2 hour, it ended up being 3. I just could not keep the needle bearings from falling over for some reason. I did finally prevail though and it's finally back in the car.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80724[/ATTACH]
                  Usually if you coat/pack the needle bearings with grease they will stay in place long enough to reassemble the U-joint.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                  10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                  56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                  60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

• Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                    Usually if you coat/pack the needle bearings with grease they will stay in place long enough to reassemble the U-joint.

Yep, they had some grease to hold them up, but kept tipping it enough to knock one or two of them over. I finally beat them though.

Comment

• Those front fender "fins" look pretty nice. They don't appear to have the typical crazing most, like mine, do. The light lenses are acrylic; if you're carefull they can be polished to look like new.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                        Those front fender "fins" look pretty nice. They don't appear to have the typical crazing most, like mine, do. The light lenses are acrylic; if you're carefull they can be polished to look like new.

One does have some crazing and the other is a bit yellowed. I really don't think it's going to hurt the looks of my car.

Comment

• Took my fan spacer in to get machined for modern flex fans.

Name:	P5090374.jpg
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1727984

Big hole...

Name:	P5090373.jpg
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1727985

Small hole...

Name:	P5090372.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1727986

My machinist cut down the large nub and machined a 5/8" bar to press fit into the hole and help locate the new fan. Really nice job and nice shop.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20190509_145127_resized.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1727988

It was brightly lit, large and had all manner of equipment, Bridgeports, CNC machines, metal cutters, welders. Would love to work on my stuff there. Anyone want to buy a Victor? It's for sale.

Name:	20190509_150238_resized.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1727991
                            Attached Files

Comment

• That Triumph is pretty cool, but I want to know more about the worlds fastest mini bike. Twin engines, probably at least 125's and on nitrous ; way cool!

Too bad we didn't talk more at the picnic. I modified a fan spacer that way when I went to a flex fan, in fact I think I have a couple different legnths, but took all that off when I went to electric fans.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                                That Triumph is pretty cool, but I want to know more about the worlds fastest mini bike. Twin engines, probably at least 125's and on nitrous ; way cool!

Too bad we didn't talk more at the picnic. I modified a fan spacer that way when I went to a flex fan, in fact I think I have a couple different legnths, but took all that off when I went to electric fans.

The machinist told me that mini bike has never been on the ground. It even has wheelie bars and a parachute!

I wish we did chat more at the picnic. I probably would have picked your brain more about the cooling fan. If possible, I may still have some questions if this goes horribly wrong.

Name:	P4270319.jpg
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	1728000

Comment

Working...
                                X