My Half A$$ Studebaker Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
    Seeing as how my differential is beat, does anyone know if any Dana 44 carrier will fit? I'm looking at this one.

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/D44...uctinfo/22094/

I suppose axle spline count would be different.
    That is a front axle setup and probably not what you want. Be sure check your spline count against the Dana/Spicer website to get the correct unit. I won't speculate on what you have as years can change the OEM parts. Don't buy anything until you know your spline count, axle diameter and some other info.

The good thing about the Dana 44 is it was used in a lot of applications, the bad thing is you need to know what your application is. I see the youtube video just drove in the differential gearing. The guy that rebuilt mine in the 83 Avanti spread the case as did I when I replaced the gearing in my 74 with a different gear ratio and posi. It might be over kill but I downloaded the rebuild instructions from Dana and used them.

Bob

Comment

• Bob, thanks for the advice. There's a video by "metal shaper" who also did not use the spreader, even though he has one.

Both stated it may distort the case enough.

Comment

• Well, dropped by Studebaker West to see if Carl could make some suggestions. Look what he came up with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140257.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1724949

An NOS carrier! Looks all the bit like it's 57 years old and been sitting on a shelf. But I'm happy to be able to get it.

Name:	P1140259.jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1724950

They also were able to provide an NOS clutch pack. I'll be busy this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
          Bob, thanks for the advice. There's a video by "metal shaper" who also did not use the spreader, even though he has one. Both stated it may distort the case enough.
          There's more than one way to get the job done. I just brought the spreader up as Dana suggests them and Jim, that did my 83 was the go to guy locally for the drag and roundy - roundy racers so I took that route on my 74.

My guess is you will be fine if you pay attention to get the proper shimming.

Bob

Comment

• I have nearly complete rear axle assemblies with 3.31 and 3.54 ratios if you need them. Cheap and close by.
            Last edited by RadioRoy; 01-15-2019, 11:17 AM.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

• Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
              I have nearly complete rear axle assemblies with 3.31 and 3.54 ratios if you need them. Cheap and close by.

Roy, are either of them TT? That's really tempting to return the new case and all the clutches etc. 3.54 isn't that far a reach for the V8.

Comment

• No. They are not TT. Sorry for getting your hopes up. But they are close by and cheap.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

• Originally posted by mitka88 View Post
                  Happy to see your making a car out of that project!
                  Yeah... I can relate to that!

Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
                  Happy New Year everyone! As usual I went to bed around 9pm and my wife wakes me at midnight to wish me happy new year and I go back to sleep. Been like this for the last 35 years.
                  She sounds like a good catch and you've got the good sense to have never tossed her back!

Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
                  Well, dropped by Studebaker West to see if Carl could make some suggestions. Look what he came up with.
                  LOVE S.W. and the fellas there! Wish I could go myself more often.

Glad to see the progress on your car.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

• Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                    No. They are not TT. Sorry for getting your hopes up. But they are close by and cheap.

Aw, bummer. Thanks Roy.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                    Yeah... I can relate to that!

She sounds like a good catch and you've got the good sense to have never tossed her back!

LOVE S.W. and the fellas there! Wish I could go myself more often.

Glad to see the progress on your car.

Thanks. Hope to be able to work on the brakes this weekend.

Comment

• Started on the brake lines yesterday.

Name:	P1190260.jpg
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1725013

I'm using the nickel copper lines for the lines that need a lot of tight bends.

Name:	P1190265.jpg
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	1725014

Added the residual valves, but still need to order more lines. It would be cheaper to just order an entire roll, but I'm terrible at making double flares.

Name:	P1190266.jpg
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	1725015

I've got to start working on getting the differential back together so I can really get down to the brakes. You can see the "X" marks on the two halves of which I assume line them up. When I took it apart, they were not lined up, so someone had it apart before. I needed to edit this when I started reassembling it, they don't line up, they are perpendicular.
                      Last edited by Topper2011; 01-21-2019, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• Spent a long time trying to degrease the differential housing. Scraping and Pine-sol till my arms fell off. Still not clean enough for paint.

Name:	P1200267.jpg
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1724984

Cleaned the ring gear so I can start to assemble the gear set. I used a heat gun, since the sun was a no show today, to install the gear onto the carrier.

Name:	P1200258.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1724985

Test fitting the clutch plates and will soak them in Friction Modifier when I do the final assembly.

Name:	P1200263.jpg
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	1724986

I wanted to finish something today, so I replaced the fuel pump.

Name:	P1200260.jpg
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	1724987

The diaphragm on the old one was bad, no resistance while working the lever.

Name:	P1200265.jpg
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1724988

Oh, yea, this was in the box the carrier housing came in. Guess it wasn't sitting around as long as I thought.

Name:	P1200262.jpg
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1724989

Comment

• Lubed and reassembled the carrier. As suggested, installed the axles to secure the two halves back together. Thanks for that as I can see if it's just off by a little, the axles will not go in all the way, they need to be lined up. It's also in the service manual.

Name:	P1210257.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1725226

It took using a plastic mallet to remove the axles once I torqued the bolts down. They were pretty stuck. I was able to turn the carrier a bit while the axle was held, so it does have slippage, which I assume is how this should work. Still need to get pinion bearings so I can check the backlash and patterns.
                          Last edited by Topper2011; 02-06-2019, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• Nice work on the brake lines

Comment

• Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
                              Nice work on the brake lines

Thanks, the nickel copper lines are way easier to bend than the steel ones.

Comment

• Did some work for the last couple weeks, but not much real progress. Waiting for parts is hard. A set of brake lines came damaged and I had to reorder.

Name:	P1270258.jpg
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1725219

Took some tweaking to get the left front line on from the brake distribution block.

Name:	P1270262.jpg
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1725220

Had to figure out how I was going to mount the proportioning valve on the frame. High enough to not get hit, but accessible for adjusting.

Name:	P2060270.jpg
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1725221

Found a scrap piece aluminum.

Name:	P2060271.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1725222

A little cutting, a little trimming.

Name:	P2060272.jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1725223

This bracket will hold the proportioning valve underneath and mounted to the frame.

Comment

Working...
                                X