No announcement yet.

My Half A$$ Studebaker Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I also installed the passenger side manifold and realized the bracket I got the new manifold doesn't fit my generator.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB230250.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1724456

Just need to clean up the old one.

Name:	PB230251.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1724457

Comment

• This was posted on my thread on Advrider and he gave me permission to post his photos here.

Anyone know the back story?

Comment

• I don't think Elgin Park will ever be the same.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/1...67/?refer=news
        https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/...tly-moves-to-elgin-park-at-age-67/?refer=newshttps://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/...tly-moves-to-elgin-park-at-age-67/?refer=news

Comment

• Interesting.

https://journal.classiccars.com/2018...9vLmNvbQ%3D%3D

Comment

• Geez—-What size wire were you using if you are going DOWN to 0.23?

Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by tomlewis View Post
              Geez—-What size wire were you using if you are going DOWN to 0.23?

Tom
              Tom, I was using .030. Some feel you don't need that large, but since I'm using flux core, I don't believe they go down any further. I'm going to be doing some floor pans and the .018 gauge is pretty thin, but since this little Hobart is gas ready, I believe I'll get better welds without blowing through. This came yesterday.

Name:	PC080243.jpg
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1724583

It's going to need a bit of tweaking, shipping was rough on these.

Name:	PC080247.jpg
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1724584

Comment

• More stuff.

Name:	PC080245.jpg
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1724585

Since overtime has finally been cancelled, I can actually work on the Hawk. Took the heater out to flush out. It was clean.

Name:	PC080249.jpg
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1724586

Working on replacing the brake lines and getting it ready for the Turner kit.

Name:	PC080254.jpg
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1724587

Well, have to meet my sister for dinner, so I had to pack it up for the day.

Lines were pretty seized up.

Name:	PC080252.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1724588

This line going up the steering column, goes to the trailer brake controller. Since I don't plan on towing any Canned Hams, I don't think I need it. At most, I'll tow my little HF trailer with a motorcycle on it.

Comment

Geez—-What size wire were you using if you are going DOWN to 0.23?

Tom
                  LOL. Taking my cue from the title of your thread, my comment on wire size was just my smart A$$ attempt at humor. The half A$$ machinist in me noticed that the way it was written in post # 168 put the wire size at almost 1/4 inch. I knew what you meant, but I was just funnin’ (As they say down here in Louisiana)

I enjoy your posts, and especially like looking at pictures of progress

Tom

Comment

LOL. Taking my cue from the title of your thread, my comment on wire size was just my smart A$$ attempt at humor. The half A$$ machinist in me noticed that the way it was written in post # 168 put the wire size at almost 1/4 inch. I knew what you meant, but I was just funnin’ (As they say down here in Louisiana)

I enjoy your posts, and especially like looking at pictures of progress

Tom

Oh, I see what you mean! My fat finger typing, combined with my poor math skills, have thwarted me from sounding like any kind of credible mechanic. I won't even get into my sad grammar. No worries Tom, hope you guys are keeping your heads above water..

Comment

• More parts!

Name:	PC160255.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1724667

You know how to guarantee you find missing parts? Buy new ones. Yep, could not find a little wave washer for my throttle swivel while replacing the boot. Went to see Carl at SW, picked them up and promptly found the old one. I puttered around the garage and removed the brake lines, the trailer brake controller and heater hoses.

Name:	PC160257.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1724668

Name:	PC160258.jpg
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	1724669

They used electrical connectors like in home wiring, but they come with rubber caps that wrap around the wiring to keep from coming apart.

Name:	PC160259.jpg
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1724670

I removed all the old brake lines getting ready to replace them. I also removed all the heater hoses, glad I ordered 10' of 5/8", but appears there's a mixture of 3/4" as well.

Name:	PC160260.jpg
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1724671

Took the left rear brake apart and lubed the parking brake cable.

Name:	PC160263.jpg
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1724672

I received the wrong axle seals from eBay, should have known.

Comment

• Took the heater valve out and with the mismatched hoses mix of 5/8" and 3/4", this is what I found.

Name:	PC190257.jpg
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	1724693

Name:	PC190258.jpg
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1724694

Oops.

Well, it was time to look over the horror of the trunk.

Name:	PC190261.jpg
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	1724695

Used an awl to poke and prod for bad news.

Name:	PC190264.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1724696

Name:	PC190265.jpg
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1724697

Well, it looks like my work is cut out for me and that my learning curve is steep. Wish me luck.

Comment

• I have 4 days off and want to get some things done. First, is to move my flag pole to a better spot. It's buried by trees that have grown and the rope is missing. I've been here for 20 years and have never gotten around to move it, since it was placed in Christmas of 1968. I want to move it on it's 50th anniversary.

Name:	PC230259.jpg
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	1724733

Name:	PC230258.jpg
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	1724734

The other project I want to work on is the Hawk's brakes. Started to work on the Turner master cylinder kit and My AMC Javelin master cylinder. I like the MC as I had installed one on my Willys pickup and it worked well. It's already setup for disc and drum.

Name:	PC220258.jpg
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1724724

The dual master kit I got from Turner is superior to the Herm the Overdrive kit I got for the Willys. It is so overbuilt, it gives me a lot of confidence in it's durability.

You can see the difference in the brackets thickness. Not saying it wasn't sturdy, because it was, just that the Turner kit is really impressive. I only had to adjust the Turner mounting bracket because the hole was stamped slightly off and I had to hog out the hole nearest the bend. Other than missing a couple of cheap lock nuts, I am very satisfied with this kit. Good stuff.

Name:	PC220259.jpg
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1724725

I still have to get some line reducers to bring the 1/4" lines down to 3/16" in order to mount the lines.
                          Last edited by Topper2011; 12-23-2018, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• It pretty much took most of the morning between my wife and I with the engine hoist.

Name:	PC230260.jpg
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	1724777

Finally into it's new location.

Name:	PC230262.jpg
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	1724778

I still have to dig the hole, but wanted to replace the pulley, rope and add a finial.

Name:	PC230263.jpg
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	1724780

Primed it and painted it.

Name:	PC230266.jpg
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1724779

I did get to do some work on the Studebaker, pre-fitting the master cylinder.
                            Last edited by Topper2011; 12-29-2018, 06:34 AM.

Comment

• Merry Christmas everyone! Finally put up the flagpole on it's 50th birthday. It was pouring rain yesterday, but this morning, it's beautiful. Yes, it's plumb, I'm just a lousy photographer.

Comment

• Not Studebaker related, but sure would like it if this guy made a Hawk. It's long, but if you appreciate craftsman ship of any kind, you'd like this.

https://youtu.be/NwSIgDKvMHk

Enjoy! And Happy New Year!

Comment

Working...
                                X