No announcement yet.

My Half A$$ Studebaker Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I worked on the passenger side freeze plugs and threw some paint on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB120257.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	1724343

Installed the driver's side exhaust manifold and felt good to finally start putting parts back onto the car.

Name:	PB120251.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1724344

This is the debris that came out of the water jackets on the passenger side.

Name:	PB120247.jpg
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	1724345

This how much room I have to work on the right side of the car. I wish I had taken off the door on that side also too.

Name:	PB120249.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1724346

Comment

• I picked up more parts today. Thanks Nick, it was great meeting you!

A nice trunk lid, hinges, windshield and right side grill insert.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	PB180243.jpg
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	1724377

I went CL shopping today and now I'm cooking with gas! The guy was moving and gave me all of his welding stuff.

Name:	PB180244.jpg
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	1724378

Time to sell the reliable little Lincoln.

Name:	PB180247.jpg
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1724379

I now have higher hope of getting better welds with less grinding. I can also go down to 0.23 wire.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]77049[/ATTACH]

I went CL shopping today and now I'm cooking with gas! The guy was moving and gave me all of his welding stuff.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77050[/ATTACH]

Time to sell the reliable little Lincoln.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77051[/ATTACH]

I now have higher hope of getting better welds with less grinding. I can also go down to 0.23 wire.
          Yeah, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
          With my starter wife, everytime I would bring something home, I would tell her, "some guy just gave it to me".
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
            Yeah, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
            With my starter wife, everytime I would bring something home, I would tell her, "some guy just gave it to me".
            I guess I should clarify. I bought the welder and he threw in the rest. My wife even came with me and approves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
              My wife even came with me and approves.
              Sounds like you have a keeper.
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

• My wife found my Lincoln Mig Pak 10 at Costco, nearly 20 year ago now. I had simply mentioned I was looking for one and she saw it on the shelf. Places like Eastwood were selling it for $425. The Costco welder was the floor model close-out for $250. The only thing missing was the $12 nozzle. Happy to say the welder and the wife are both running fine. When you find quality you hold on to it!
                '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

• Roland,
                  Great pic in post # 165. It reminds me that we had the only 1972 Hurst Olds H/O 455 Convertible in Canada circa 1996. Dumb me, convertibles and Canada don't make for a real good fit. Ran it on the track once, turned high 12's, 105+ mph and got immediately banned. It ended up back in Beverly Hills where I originally purchased it before spending enormous amounts restoring it. Live and learn.
                  Bill

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                    Sounds like you have a keeper.

Absolutely! 35 years and counting.

Comment

• Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                      My wife found my Lincoln Mig Pak 10 at Costco, nearly 20 year ago now. I had simply mentioned I was looking for one and she saw it on the shelf. Places like Eastwood were selling it for $425. The Costco welder was the floor model close-out for $250. The only thing missing was the $12 nozzle. Happy to say the welder and the wife are both running fine. When you find quality you hold on to it!

You've got good deals all around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                        Roland,
                        Great pic in post # 165. It reminds me that we had the only 1972 Hurst Olds H/O 455 Convertible in Canada circa 1996. Dumb me, convertibles and Canada don't make for a real good fit. Ran it on the track once, turned high 12's, 105+ mph and got immediately banned. It ended up back in Beverly Hills where I originally purchased it before spending enormous amounts restoring it. Live and learn.
                        Bill

Bill, thanks. I bought that car way back in '79 from the original owner. Seems her son hot rodded it and then parked it out back in the open, with a mushroom air filter! Yes, the engine was frozen. I got it running, drove it for a bit, but never got to finishing it. Sold it to the current owner and he's done a wonderful job on it. Funny thing, when I did have that car and cruised around in it, I ran across two others. One of the owners also had Linda Vaughn's '69. I had seen it, with the three holes in the trunk lid from the giant shifter. He was offered $60K for it once, but turned it down. Seems the buyer had the other convertible Hurst Olds, 002, the guy I knew had 001! Those stickers and the H/O emblems I ordered from Hurst back in '79. I don't regret selling that car, it went to a better home. I do regret selling the 65 GTO and the 71 Alfa GTV, oh well.

Comment

• Happy Thanks Giving everyone! Hope you all don't get too filled up with turkey! It is a known sleep aid. I was wondering if anyone has a photo of their battery tray? Or can advise me. I'm not sure whether one end of mine is bent down or if it was cut. I'd like to repair it and try out my just purchased welder before I sell the little Lincoln.

Name:	PB220243.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1724447

Name:	PB220244.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1724448

Name:	PB220245.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1724449

I'm hoping it's just been cut and folded down flat to accommodate a larger battery. I will then just bend it back and reweld it if that's all it needs.

Comment

• You're right the tray has been cut and flattened it should be exactly like the other end. Cheers Harryhawk

Comment

• Originally posted by Harryhawk View Post
                              You're right the tray has been cut and flattened it should be exactly like the other end. Cheers Harryhawk

Thanks! I kind of thought so since the measurement was just over 10" in length, the same as the battery. I'll work on it this weekend.

Comment

• I did some metal shaping today on the battery tray and welded some boogers to it.

Name:	PB230245.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1724452

Since the hole for the battery J hook location was missing some metal, I welded a washer for support.

Name:	PB230248.jpg
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1724454

Name:	PB230247.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1724453

I still have to grind out the inner part.

Name:	PB230249.jpg
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1724455

Comment

Working...
                                X