My Half A$$ Studebaker Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
    I hope it was nearly free 'cause there ain't nuthin what don't need fixin. I've always said our Studebaker hobby keeps us off the streets. Good luck. Take it slow and meticulous and in only $20,000 you will have a really beatiful car!

Wasn't free, but it was cheap enough. I think of this as a challenge and a car neglected for most of it's life. I'm making progress though and I am not planning on a show car, just a safe drivable car. And since I'm doing most of the work, I hope to keep the costs down.

Comment

• Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
      When you had the freeze plugs out, did you clean the crud from the water jackets with lots of water and a mechanical probe, like a coat hanger wire?

Yep, I used a hose remover to remove chunks of crud. I also put a hose in the openings and flushed it with water. Rechecking it showed I removed most of what settle down in the passages. I still need to do the other side, but it's pretty close to the wall, so I'll need to figure out how to move it sideways to get more space. The Hawk is a pretty big car, maybe I should have bought a Lark instead.
      Last edited by Topper2011; 10-20-2018, 04:54 AM.

Comment

• Well, my vacation is over and back home. I wanted to get the right side exhaust manifold off so I can replace that side freeze plugs. Bad news.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB030273.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	1724258

Name:	PB030274.jpg
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	1724259

Manifold is cracked as well as a the heat riser. I've put an ad in the sale/want section in case someone has one sitting around they want to get rid of. If not, I'll be sending in an order to SI. I'll probably get to the freeze plugs later this week after work.

Comment

• Hey Roland,
          Looks like this is the right time to order a set of R3-4 manifolds! They look real purdy.
          Bill

Comment

• PM sent. Send me an email and come on over.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

• Thanks to Radio Roy, I have a replacement exhaust manifold.

Name:	PB050243.jpg
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1724281

Cleaned it up to paint it while the weather is holding out.

Name:	PB050244.jpg
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	1724282

Name:	PB050245.jpg
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1724283

Comment

• It was a pleasure meeting you Roland.

I was going to explain to Roland how the exhaust gaskets could be installed incorrectly and when we looked at the manifold, there were the marks from the previous gaskets having been installed... incorrectly. It was a great teaching aid.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

• Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                  It was a pleasure meeting you Roland.

I was going to explain to Roland how the exhaust gaskets could be installed incorrectly and when we looked at the manifold, there were the marks from the previous gaskets having been installed... incorrectly. It was a great teaching aid.

Roy, it was great meeting you and I enjoyed seeing you eclectic selection of vehicles. It was perfect seeing the manifold gasket imprints of the wrong way to install them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                    Hey Roland,
                    Looks like this is the right time to order a set of R3-4 manifolds! They look real purdy.
                    Bill

Hi Bill, yes those exhaust manifolds are beautiful! Wish i had the coin for them and one of DeepinHocks intakes!

Comment

• Gang, a friend I've never met, sent this to me. I know of the person that actually wrote this and thought it was appropriate to post this on my thread, in case any of you start to feel discouraged about your project car.

http://www.gomog.com/BLAIR/restoration.html

Hope you guys take the time to read it.

Comment

• I took the time, and it was a good read. It took me four years to do a frame off rebuild, on a 60 Hawk. The guy was certainly right about the feeling you get when you look at all of the parts, and bags of fasteners that need to be cleaned, repaired and put back together. That's why many on this site, discourage tearing the car to pieces, and I believe that it is good advice, because it is likely that they will not ever make it back to a whole car again. I still believe that a frame off, will produce a better product, but the person doing it should be prepared for an enormous task.

Comment

• Spent most of the day finishing the paver work I had started a couple months ago. Be careful when you get free stuff from Craigslist! Then finally got to the passenger side freeze plugs.

Name:	PB100248.jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1724309

Name:	PB100244.jpg
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	1724310

Name:	PB100247.jpg
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	1724311

Yes, the plugs are out and that's the goop that was sitting in the water jackets. I used a hose removing tool to dig out the chunks of crud. Then a blast of water to flush the garbage out, most of it ending up in my sleeve. Time for coffee and some t.v. while watching Fantom Works, they featured a 41 Buick and in the back ground, there was a baby blue Hawk. Later on, they had a 64 Barracuda and a '50 Commander owned by "Velvet", cool!

Comment

• I have a duplicate post on my motorcycle forum and this was posted on my thread.

Here's a herd in a field just off I-64 near Waynesboro VA.

Hopefully you guys know where this is at.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
                              I have a duplicate post on my motorcycle forum and this was posted on my thread.

Here's a herd in a field just off I-64 near Waynesboro VA.

Hopefully you guys know where this is at.
                              Looks more like a flock (of Hawks) than a herd .
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

• Originally posted by studegary View Post
                                Looks more like a flock (of Hawks) than a herd .

Your right, that's more appropriate. I was invited by an old friend to a Cars and Coffee today. He brought my old car....

Jeff has done a great job on this car that I purchased from the original owner. Back then, I was able to get the emblems and the hood stickers from Hurst. Amazing since it was 10 years old when I got it. I had to go through the engine and exhaust, but life got in the way and sold it to Jeff to buy my first home. He's been working on it since 1980. Good the see the old car.

My coworker brought his patina'd Morgan. Not much notable else came in, the usual Tri-5 Nomad and a shoebox for sale showed up, but no pictures.

Comment

Working...
                                X