Temp. gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp. gauge

Has anyone ever checked a Hawk temp. gauge with a meter? If so, what should I see? I can't believe I have six gauges that are bad. I have one more coming sometime this week, but I would like to check the others before I trash them.- Jim

If you put 12 volts to the Batt. side, you would have to apply the correct resistance to the other side with a matching (same source) ground to reach Full or Empty.

If they are OEM Original SW/Studebaker Hawk gauges keep them, there will come a day when the ONLY source is expensive rebuilding.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Mine wasn't connected properly and as a result the engine ran too hot without me realizing it. result was catastrophic engine failure followed by a long and costly engine rebuild followed by cooling system repair. Bummer? You bet!
      peter lee

Comment

Verify the case of the meter has a good ground and that the body of the temp sender has a good ground. A bad ground on either will cause the gauge to read wrong.
        Wayne
        "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic​

Comment

None of my gauges read anything! I would like to test the gauges and the sending unit with a meter, if possible. -Jim

Comment

Remember! Hawks have a fiberglass dash. The gauges all have to be grounded. There should be a network of ground wires linking the mounting studs on each gauge box and the housing of the larger instruments.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I think you have 6 good gauges and a bad ground for the instruments.

Comment

Sorry, I mean none of the temp gauges I have read anything. The other dash gauges work o.k.. The dash grounds are all present and accounted for. I need the ohm readings for a good temp. gauge and sender.-Jim

Comment

When I worked at the GM dealership in the 70's and 80's I kept a 0-100 ohm rheostat in my tool box to check fuel gauges.

Now I need to find out the ohmsreading for my 1950 Land Cruiser sender, because it only reads 5/8 when it's full.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post

Now I need to find out the ohmsreading for my 1950 Land Cruiser sender, because it only reads 5/8 when it's full.
                    Is the float gas logged such that it does not float on the surface of the fuel?
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Hello Jim

I measured an old non-working temp gauge and a NOS temperature gauge with a multimeter (out of the car). The old temperature gauge had a resistance of 0 Ohm, so it was definitely defective. The NOS temperature gauge (which works perfectly) had a resistance of 240 Ohm and was alright.

I also measured the installed temperature sender, it had 0.878 Ohm and the new temperature sender I have in the package is 0.862 Ohm. Both working.

Rudy
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks Rudy, that is what I needed.- Jim

Comment

Under 1 ohm sounds very wrong for a cold temp sending unit. Seeing as grounding the sender wire to the gauge makes it peg out to "hot". Maybe it's .862 k ohms? Those auto-ranging digital meters can trip a guy up. Also a gauge itself will have three resistance values: ign to ground, sender to ground, and ign to sender.

There is actually a network of resistors inside a gauge, but they aren't really resistors as such; they are tiny heating elements acting upon bimetal strips, which bend when heated, and move the pointer via a simple linkage.

Comment

So what are the three resistance values?-Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jrlemke View Post
                              So what are the three resistance values?-Jim
                              I will have to measure one, I guess. I am fresh out of Hawk temp gauges, but I have several from Larks (which use the same sending unit of course).

Comment

Working...
                              X