No announcement yet.

EBAY question, am I right to be upset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EBAY question, am I right to be upset?

A friend was wanting a car on Ebay, she asked my opinion, and asked for help since she was not an EBAY member. I sent a email, to the seller (also a newbie), telling him she woluld have funds available this morning. The idiot puts that on the auction, along with my phone number, and someone else hits buy it now before her bank in california opens.

I dunno what the guy was thinking, I would never have put that in the ad, tipping a hand, and especially with a phone number. Or am I just crazy?

so, before she gets her money in her checking acct, she gets shut out, because seller posted my question. I HATED making that call telling her car was sold.

buyer is new also.. hope it works out for them both...at least the guy was bidding consistently

link to auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volks...em320213654799

He had a lot of bids and a lot of watchers on that car. He probably put your response out there so that others "watching" might think it was about to get away.

And it worked.[8D]

Mark Anderson
    Member SDC and FMCA
    Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
    http://home.alltel.net/anderm

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
    Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

He had a lot of bids and a lot of watchers on that car. He probably put your response out there so that others "watching" might think it was about to get away.

And it worked.[8D]

Mark Anderson
      Member SDC and FMCA
      Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
      http://home.alltel.net/anderm

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
      Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

Why didn't you just hit the "Buy It Now" button for her? I don't get it.

Comment

Why didn't you just hit the "Buy It Now" button for her? I don't get it.

Comment

If the seller was a "newbie" he may not have realized that checking the box under his response to the question would bring the question and answer to the listing. Or, he felt you were SUPPOSED to show all questions and answers.

The sale of the car to another buyer may not have been related to the fact that your friend expressed an interest in the car. It may have happened anyway.

The seller gives you 48 hours to make the deposit. Why was having the funds available the next morning even an issue to discuss with the seller?

It's a pretty car. I'm sure your friend is sorry she missed it, but that's life. The same could have happened at a used car lot or a Craig's list ad.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

If the seller was a "newbie" he may not have realized that checking the box under his response to the question would bring the question and answer to the listing. Or, he felt you were SUPPOSED to show all questions and answers.

The sale of the car to another buyer may not have been related to the fact that your friend expressed an interest in the car. It may have happened anyway.

The seller gives you 48 hours to make the deposit. Why was having the funds available the next morning even an issue to discuss with the seller?

It's a pretty car. I'm sure your friend is sorry she missed it, but that's life. The same could have happened at a used car lot or a Craig's list ad.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Only thing you might be upset about with the seller is the listing of your phone number- and even that is likely an honest mistake. I can't imagine why you didnt just hit the BIN- it said you had 48 hours to pay?? Assuming you were sure about your buyer's funds, the seller had no reason to know.

You might consider dropping a note to the seller saying you'd still buy it if the winner falls through.

To answer your question- if you were to be upset, it would have to be at yourself; the seller did nothing wrong.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Only thing you might be upset about with the seller is the listing of your phone number- and even that is likely an honest mistake. I can't imagine why you didnt just hit the BIN- it said you had 48 hours to pay?? Assuming you were sure about your buyer's funds, the seller had no reason to know.

You might consider dropping a note to the seller saying you'd still buy it if the winner falls through.

To answer your question- if you were to be upset, it would have to be at yourself; the seller did nothing wrong.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

The glass is half FULL, because now You should be able to find a really nice Studebaker for that 15k! That said, I have been frustrated with EBay on occasion, too. Usually it has to do with my naivete about the way it works, and I learn the hard way. In only 5 days of bidding, the little Zilchwaggon was closing in on the BIN fast. When time is of the essence, you hafta be Cat quick, and hit the BIN! But, I can't see any truly bad intentions by the seller for posting your question and his reponse in the listing. It is the usual procedure. BTW, I notice that three of the bidders, including the buyer and runner-up appear to be first-time EBayers, with zero transactions. Hmm. I wish you better luck, next time.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

The glass is half FULL, because now You should be able to find a really nice Studebaker for that 15k! That said, I have been frustrated with EBay on occasion, too. Usually it has to do with my naivete about the way it works, and I learn the hard way. In only 5 days of bidding, the little Zilchwaggon was closing in on the BIN fast. When time is of the essence, you hafta be Cat quick, and hit the BIN! But, I can't see any truly bad intentions by the seller for posting your question and his reponse in the listing. It is the usual procedure. BTW, I notice that three of the bidders, including the buyer and runner-up appear to be first-time EBayers, with zero transactions. Hmm. I wish you better luck, next time.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

I do a fair amount of selling on Ebay. I would suggest that you and her stay in contact with the seller, the buyer has zero (0) feedback. This usually suggests that the buyer is just screwing around and will never complete the sale. I agree, just hit the buy it now. The seller will also learn on big ticket items to require several positive feedbacks

Comment

I do a fair amount of selling on Ebay. I would suggest that you and her stay in contact with the seller, the buyer has zero (0) feedback. This usually suggests that the buyer is just screwing around and will never complete the sale. I agree, just hit the buy it now. The seller will also learn on big ticket items to require several positive feedbacks

Comment

I dont' know what the Ghia is worth,but by using the BIN,he might have lost a couple bucks[or couple thousand]! He might be kicking himself in the butt right now.

LaSalle,Il
                            61Hawk
                            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I dont' know what the Ghia is worth,but by using the BIN,he might have lost a couple bucks[or couple thousand]! He might be kicking himself in the butt right now.

LaSalle,Il
                              61Hawk
                              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                              X