Studebaker Avanti doing Targa Tasmania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Avanti doing Targa Tasmania

I saw this on Youtube and wondered if anybody else might like to see (and Hear !) it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n5Oq_yyG_o

There aren't any comments on it so I kind of wondered where all the Studebaker afficioinados are
    BTW I hope all the Yewessers and Canucks will pardon the announcer's antipodean accent pronouncing Stew-dee-Baker
    Just thank God he didn't call it avantay....
    Steve

I'm loving it...thanks for posting! cheers, junior
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Thanks.
      I wonder how many right hand drive Studebaker Avantis there are.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for posting. Nice whine from the supercharger! Wonder what engine?

Comment

Thank you for posting Steve. Having two I'd love to see how the dash was configured for the RHD. I never knew they converted them so do you think it was from the factory?
          Cheers,
          Bill

Comment

Dang! That is impressive. That engine sure sounds healthy. It would be nice to get the specs on that car.
            Also, that is beautiful country and a crazy course. It sort of reminds me of the course for the La Carrera Pan Americana in Mexico.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Stunning countryside and fabulous cinematography. Oh, and the car wasn't half bad either!
              Mike Davis
              Regional Manager, North Carolina
              1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

If you go to the Racing Studebakers site, it's put on there from Australia!!

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                  Thank you for posting Steve. Having two I'd love to see how the dash was configured for the RHD. I never knew they converted them so do you think it was from the factory?
                  Cheers,
                  Bill
                  No Avanti's were built new in RHC. A couple were cleverly converted by the owners here in Australia.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                  MELBOURNE.

Comment

This is a modified 1966 Avanti 'll. Was originally a 327, not sure if Peter Ullrich (owner) is still using the original SBC.

Comment

I don't believe there were any RHD Avanti's factory produced. I remember the first one I saw many years ago owned by the couple that established the Studebaker Car Club of Australia- converted to RHD here.
                      Our laws have changed (Thankfully) and we are allowed to import classic cars and drive them LHD on a special limited club Permit System provided they are 30 years old. Prior to the advent of the Club Permit System, if you wanted to drive the thing, you needed to get it converted and engineering certified. So I believe there must have been a few more done than just one. Back in 1975 there were only a mere handful of Avantis here, althoughI was told there are nearly 50 nowadays. I own 1981 Avanti II RGB3269 and it's staying LHD. Just gotta do something about a rusty frame and hogtroughs.....
                      Steve

Comment

That was awesome!! Thank you for posting!
                        -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
                        1960 Metropolitan Convertible
                        1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
                        1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

What a treat! Sound is just super. As good looking as anything being built today.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Winzar View Post
                            I don't believe there were any RHD Avanti's factory produced. I remember the first one I saw many years ago owned by the couple that established the Studebaker Car Club of Australia- converted to RHD here.
                            Our laws have changed (Thankfully) and we are allowed to import classic cars and drive them LHD on a special limited club Permit System provided they are 30 years old. Prior to the advent of the Club Permit System, if you wanted to drive the thing, you needed to get it converted and engineering certified. So I believe there must have been a few more done than just one. Back in 1975 there were only a mere handful of Avantis here, althoughI was told there are nearly 50 nowadays. I own 1981 Avanti II RGB3269 and it's staying LHD. Just gotta do something about a rusty frame and hogtroughs.....
                            Steve
                            That was Charles Schwerkolt(?) in (or near) Melbourne. He took me for a ride in his RHD '63 when I was there in probably 1977. He cut the dash in to three sections, moved the drivers side to the right and the glove box portion to the left then neatly connected the pieces. The really neat trick was the steering. The steering column of course went to the right side. He put a sprocket on the column below the dash then put a similar sprocket on the portion running from the inside of the car to the steering gear box by the engine. The sprockets were then connected with a chain under the dash that looked a lot like a bicycle chain. I don't remember how he dealt with the brake pedal and the accelerator, but everything worked just fine.

I remember (dimly) that Charles and family had come to the US where he bought a well-optioned '64 R-1 Avanti. He and the family toured much of the US in the '64 then shipped it to Australia. Having seen him twice in Australia and corresponding with him, I can't remember when he bought the '64 and when it came to Australia, but I am pretty sure he didn't convert it to RHD.
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                            X