Does Anyone Cut Keys by Number Only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anyone Cut Keys by Number Only?

My 1950 Land Cruiser came with 3 different keys, so I suspect someone changed the ignition.
    My trunk lock doesn't work, so I need to fix that also.
    I have the original key numbers on the build sheet and would like to make everything work with the two original key numbers, so I might need to change the pins in the ignition, or does it use wafers? Thanks, Tom

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
    My 1950 Land Cruiser came with 3 different keys, so I suspect someone changed the ignition.
    My trunk lock doesn't work, so I need to fix that also.
    I have the original key numbers on the build sheet and would like to make everything work with the two original key numbers, so I might need to change the pins in the ignition, or does it use wafers? Thanks, Tom
    The key codes refer to the depth of the cuts of the keys, but who is going to have a code book for a 1950 Studebaker? Or a Curtiss hand held key cutter and original Studebaker key blanks?

You might find the key cutter at a locksmith. I don't have a clue where you'll find the key blanks.

I've never cut a Studebaker key, but have cut 100's of FoMoCo 5 cut single sided and 10 cut double sided keys, either by using the codes or "eyeballing" the cuts of an original key.

Comment

PM me the key numbers you need.
      I have a large number of new numbered keys.
      I have the Curtis key cutter and many original key blanks but I have not yet figured out how to use it.
      Have to find time to practice .
      I also have the Curtis and other code books.
      Robert Kapteyn
      studebaker@mac.com
      815 212 2389 text.

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
        I have the Curtiss key cutter and many original key blanks but I have not yet figured out how to use it.
        The ignition key is inserted in one side of the cutter, the trunk key (if different) in the other side. Then you select the number of the cuts by moving the levers.

I held the key in place, because when the cutters wear, they tend to wobble. After cutting the puppies, I rubbed the keys on a wood board to remove the burrs.

You don't know me from Adam, but we spoke on the phone once. This was after your daughter moved to CA

The conversation had to do with me buying your obsolete Studebaker parts. I see you're still living in Joliet, so you didn't move to CA
        Last edited by WinM1895; 06-20-2018, 06:58 PM.

Comment

I stock ANY Yale (6 Cyl. Engine) or Hurd (8 Cyl. Engine/Comm.6) '47 to '66 Ign./Door or Trunk/Glove Box Key Blank you may need in Nickle plated Brass with the correct year Stude. Logo Handle.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 06-20-2018, 09:39 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

May not be much help. I have code cut thousands of VW keys with my old Curtis cutter. The book with the codes usually explains which carriage and which wheel you used.They are manufacturer specific. Normally cut inside to out. Wise idea to steady the carriage with each cut due to wear on the cutter, the toothed wheel, and the carriage teeth. The carriage can slip sometimes. If I had the Studie specific parts and book it would be easy. Best to have the lock in hand to make fine adjustments if necessary. But I have cut keys for folks that they took away and they worked fine. Just takes practice. We made a lot of money off that little cutter. I am sure someone can do it. Good luck.

Comment

Rich, I sent both you and Robert an email with my list of parts wanted.
              Let me know if you didn't get it.

Comment

WOW!, thanks for reminding me, I had to save that from the Spam Folder!
                StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  WOW!, thanks for reminding me, I had to save that from the Spam Folder!
                  Rich please check you private messages
                  sigpic
                  Claude Chmielewski
                  Studeski
                  http://www.studeski.com
                  Fillmore, Wisconsin
                  47 M-16 Truck
                  53 2R5
                  60 Lark VIII Convertible
                  60 5E7 Champ pickup
                  62 GT Hawk 4 speed
                  63 Lark
                  63 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
                  64 Commander Wagonaire
                  64 Daytona Convertible
                  50 Champion Regal (parts car)
                  36 Dictator
                  36 Dictator in pieces

Comment

Originally posted by studeski View Post
                    Rich please check you private messages
                    Claude, I did not receive any at: "StudeRich" and my Inbox is not full, both Send & Receive PM's in MY Profile is turned ON.

OK, sorry I did get that, but I was thinking today and Key related, it was yesterday and I have not completed my research yet to figure it out.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-22-2018, 03:04 PM.
                    StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                    X