Salvage yard cars 1950-1954

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salvage yard cars 1950-1954

I just purchased my first Studebaker. It was at a antique salvage yard that was being forced to vacate there prosperity. The city had taken there land so they could build a subdivision on it. When I visited the yard they had already crushed over three thousand cars. In one section of the yard they had 6 to 8 Studebaker from 1950 to 1954. I just could stand to see them crushed, so I purchased the 1950 2 door Champion. Now I need to know if you have an expert on this car, that I can contact for guidance.
    Thanks
    John Potter
    805 484-0907

Welcome, John
    First you have to define: EXPERT.
    We all know something, but I don't think anyone knows everything, but I may be corrected on that.
    What, specifically do you need? Guidance, parts, money.......forget that part.
    Congratulations on the purchase of the 1950 Champion. They are kind of quirky cars having a one year only front steering system, but they sure are iconic in design.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

You bought a good year for design, and 1950 was Studebaker's peak sales year.

Sure wish I could have seen what the yard had for 1953-4, as those are the best design any car ever had IMHO.

Comment

Congratulations on your new car. You are fortunate to live in Camarrillo as there are many people in LA area that can help you get the Champion back on the road. Bud

Comment

Everyone has their preferences, but "Most" of us would agree if there were ANY '53 or '54 Coupes or Hardtops or even Sedans, in fair shape they would have been the ones to grab.

Are there any left?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

At the moment I don’t know what I don’t know. I was hoping I could find someone that has restored at least one 1950 Champion. I’ve started looking around for the parts I’m missing. In the center of the dash there is a dome. I’ve seen photos with it replaced with a clock. Will a clock that is intended for a command or fit in a Champion.

Comment

As of last week yes

Comment

I highly recommend you join the Studebaker club
                http://studebakerdriversclub.com/index.asp

From there, I suggest you get BOTH the shop manual AND the parts book
                https://www.studebakermuseum.org/store/studebaker-books

I was pretty lost until I got both of those books. The Parts book is just as important as the manual.

Welcome to the group!

Comment

A Commander clock won't fit a 1950 Champion, which is a year by itself for the clock, and quite expensive.

Here is my 50 Champion I bought 4 years ago. Someone restored the car in the early 90's, and I added the clock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1721107 Click image for larger version

Name:	Champion at Anoka State Hospital.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1721108

Comment

John, whats the name of the yard?
                    Cheers,
                    JOE

--------------------------------------------------

"After all is said and done, a hell of a lot more is said than done"
                    Clark Olmstead

Comment

Post some pictures of your car. How much rust is there? Engine/tranny still in it?
                      Make it run and stop. Check for rust out in the floors and trunk, etc.

Comment

Hi John, and welcome to the Forum! I echo the above sentiments: get the manual and parts book, and join the club. You'll be glad you did.
                        Was the yard you spoke of the one in Utah that is closing?
                        Mike Davis
                        Regional Manager, North Carolina
                        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by Joe V View Post
                          John, whats the name of the yard?
                          The yard is called McBride Auto Wreking in Grantsvile, Htah. I spoke with Dennis this morning. Most of the cars are gone but they still have a 1953 two door and a 54 four door. Some parts have been removed and they both have rust in the usual places. You may have to purchase both cars to build one. They probably both could be purchased for a thousand dollars.
                          Dennis’s number is 1 435 830-0069

Comment

Yes, It’s in Grantsville, Utah.

Comment

well, let’s see if I can figure out how to post pictures. This is what I got for $1200 dollars.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	727F7485-9BE2-495D-B660-6C791A2476FA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	1721133Click image for larger version

Name:	35953987-4EB2-447E-9CC6-1451C698B89F.jpg
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	1721134Click image for larger version

Name:	62E1A310-4F0C-48A9-A591-38426708007A.jpg
Size:	17.3 KB