Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

English grammar expert required to assist with Studebaker race car?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English grammar expert required to assist with Studebaker race car?!

I have dozens of photos of Studebaker Indy 500 racing cars from the 1930-37. Some months ago I was typing an article into the “word” program on Studebaker's Indy participation and that program consistently corrected my wording from “race car” to “racecar,” all one word! I thought that was pretty crazy and wondered when that happened. I overrode it changing it back to the more sensible/logical two words race car! In the past 24 hours I have read two articles (one in Turning Wheels) in which the nonword racecar was used. Was I napping when this word change took place or has it always existed and I just never noticed? Now I figure when I refer to the four Studebaker cars that "paced" the 500 (1929, 1940, 1952, 1962) I should refer to these as pacecars?

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Now spell "racecar" backwards and see what you get!!

Craig

Comment

Despite what Mr. Quinn may think, RACECAR is quite acceptable and correct.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

"Race car" is the older and still more accepted spelling. Over time, the single-word variation has started to become more commonplace, probably due to its association with the anagram NASCAR.

Short answer: You won't offend anyone by spelling it as two words.

(Former college writing instructor)
        Mike Davis
        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I agree with Chris but I reckon race-car also could do...

Comment

I think it is all NASCAR's fault! All these Reporters, Drivers, Owners and Crew members always say "Racecar" very Fast in almost in ONE Syllable!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Pushing that "space bar" one extra time is just too much work. Or should that be spacebar? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                Now I figure when I refer to the four Studebaker cars that "paced" the 500 (1929, 1940, 1952, 1962) I should refer to these as pacecars?

I would imagine that there are several differences between Racecars and Pace cars. The spelling certainly could be one. Oddly enough, as I just tried typing it in as one word above, my auto-correction program separated it into two and I had to go back and edit out the space.
                It must not make any significant difference, doing it however you like?

Mark
                sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Race Car. . . . . . . . . . . .
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I'm with you, Dick. I have very vivid memories of typing term papers in college in the 60's. They had to be absolutely correct, or you might as well not even turn them in. It seemed like I made a mistake on the bottom line on each page the first three or four tries. This was, of course, on a manual typewriter, so there was no going back, making a correction, and going on. I couldn't afford to have my papers typed by someone else.

Fast forward to today. It is certainly easier to correct incorrect key strokes now, but I know without a doubt that every, single thing that I put out there in public view has to be checked because the computer doesn't know the difference between "there" and "their"

I know I will make some people mad with this, but if you put something in a post, and the computer program changes it to something different, that's on you for not checking it before you hit "Post Quick Reply"

"Your" is not a proper contraction for "You are".

As I checked the above, I found the the computer had changed the word "there" in the second paragraph to, " the here" I am appalled if I find an error in something I have submitted. I figure that that Liberal Arts education should have at least been good for something.

Tom

Comment

As some of you may know, my sense of humor is slightly twisted.

$20US to the first person who finds (what is, I hope) the only grammatical error in the post above

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tomlewis View Post
                        I'm with you, Dick. I have very vivid memories of typing term papers in college in the 60's. They had to be absolutely correct, or you might as well not even turn them in. It seemed like I made a mistake on the bottom line on each page the first three or four tries. This was, of course, on a manual typewriter, so there was no going back, making a correction, and going on. I couldn't afford to have my papers typed by someone else.

Fast forward to today. It is certainly easier to correct incorrect key strokes now, but I know without a doubt that every, single thing that I put out there in public view has to be checked because the computer doesn't know the difference between "there" and "their"

I know I will make some people mad with this, but if you put something in a post, and the computer program changes it to something different, that's on you for not checking it before you hit "Post Quick Reply"

"Your" is not a proper contraction for "You are".

As I checked the above, I found the the computer had changed the word "there" in the second paragraph to, " the here" I am appalled if I find an error in something I have submitted. I figure that that Liberal Arts education should have at least been good for something.

Tom
                        Originally posted by tomlewis View Post
                        As some of you may know, my sense of humor is slightly twisted.

$20US to the first person who finds (what is, I hope) the only grammatical error in the post above

Tom
                        Well, tom...How 'bout keystrokes instead of key strokes??? You also typed "the the"...and "to" instead of "too."

OOPS...I had to come back and confess I screwed up. I was in such a hurry to post my comments, I read your post too quickly and failed in reading comprehension myself. That is regarding the last "too/to" comment. I think you were correct and I didn't follow it contextually.
                        Last edited by jclary; 06-18-2018, 05:00 PM.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                          Well tom...How 'bout keystokes instead of key strokes??? You also typed "the the"...and "to" instead of "too."
                          John, you forgot the capital T in Tom.
                          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                          50 Champion 2 door*
                          53 Commander K Auto*
                          53 Commander K overdrive*
                          55 President Speedster
                          62 GT 4Speed*
                          63 Avanti R1*
                          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                            John, you forgot the capital T in Tom.
                            No...it wasn't me...it was my finger!
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Tom -
                              Can you advise us regarding white wall and blackwall tires or is it tires?

Comment

Working...
                              X