Nice Looking Cruiser on Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Looking Cruiser on Ebay

Just saw a lovely Cruiser on ebay. I'm in the midst of the Betty revival else I'd be chasing that car. Who ever gets it will get a sweet little car.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...QQcmdZViewItem

That looks like a nice car for someone to start with, especially if they don't have to go for much in shipping/delivery.

Is a "non-op" title in California like a salvage title, in that it will be difficult/impossible to get registered some places? Does it mean that you have to pay California back fees to bring it up to date? I have never resided in California, only visited there a few times, so I am not that familiar with their MV laws.

My Father-in-Law bought a 1963 Cruiser new in the same white over blue combination.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

That looks like a nice car for someone to start with, especially if they don't have to go for much in shipping/delivery.

Is a "non-op" title in California like a salvage title, in that it will be difficult/impossible to get registered some places? Does it mean that you have to pay California back fees to bring it up to date? I have never resided in California, only visited there a few times, so I am not that familiar with their MV laws.

My Father-in-Law bought a 1963 Cruiser new in the same white over blue combination.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

No Gary, that is where California is way more understanding of older car owners and collectors than Eastern states. One of the main purposes of the Non-Operational status of a Calif. registration is to avoid the fees! The title remains untouched by this action of reporting it "non-operational" is is part of the Registration process only. There is a flat fee for all Vehicles, currently $16.00, was $10.00 and originally when the program started, only $5.00. All you do is pay the current fee, and continue on like nothing happened when you get the car "running" the registration form comes to you every year with the option of doing nothing and leaving it Non-Operational, or paying the noted current fees to re-instate it. Of course you can be sited for no registration if it is ever found on a Street or Highway, it is to be on private property only.
        This way the title stays forever in the computer system and never "drops out". If you do NOT do this, and just let a car sit and the Lic. expire it WILL "drop out", then it is no longer considered by the DMV, Police or Courts as a "Motor Vehicle" and as such, can NOT be reported stolen, you might as well have set it on fire, if it is stolen, it is GONE forever, you would have a very hard time retrieving it even if you find it!

It is a very good system, also the whole registration process. After all, they have to keep track of more license plate numbers than anywhere in the entire WORLD! There are still active Yellow on Black plates originally registered to cars up to 1969, when the Yellow on Blue came out and those are also still in service as 6 digit and 7 digit as well as the current Dark Blue on White in many series, plus Personalized, year of Manufacture, Historical Vehicle and Horseless Carriage plates.
        Not to mention that there are also more cars than any State, the last I heard. [:0]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

No Gary, that is where California is way more understanding of older car owners and collectors than Eastern states. One of the main purposes of the Non-Operational status of a Calif. registration is to avoid the fees! The title remains untouched by this action of reporting it "non-operational" is is part of the Registration process only. There is a flat fee for all Vehicles, currently $16.00, was $10.00 and originally when the program started, only $5.00. All you do is pay the current fee, and continue on like nothing happened when you get the car "running" the registration form comes to you every year with the option of doing nothing and leaving it Non-Operational, or paying the noted current fees to re-instate it. Of course you can be sited for no registration if it is ever found on a Street or Highway, it is to be on private property only.
          This way the title stays forever in the computer system and never "drops out". If you do NOT do this, and just let a car sit and the Lic. expire it WILL "drop out", then it is no longer considered by the DMV, Police or Courts as a "Motor Vehicle" and as such, can NOT be reported stolen, you might as well have set it on fire, if it is stolen, it is GONE forever, you would have a very hard time retrieving it even if you find it!

It is a very good system, also the whole registration process. After all, they have to keep track of more license plate numbers than anywhere in the entire WORLD! There are still active Yellow on Black plates originally registered to cars up to 1969, when the Yellow on Blue came out and those are also still in service as 6 digit and 7 digit as well as the current Dark Blue on White in many series, plus Personalized, year of Manufacture, Historical Vehicle and Horseless Carriage plates.
          Not to mention that there are also more cars than any State, the last I heard. [:0]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Ah, if I only had a job right now, that would be the perfect car to start my R3 Lark I want to build.

Former owner/owner with Dad:
            58 Packard Golden Hawk
            62 Hawk
            62 Lark
            63 Lark
            64 Lark
            63 Champ
            Currently I own:
            84 Mercedes 380SL
            92 Range Rover (for sale)
            99 BMW 323I
            and helping a 16 year old rebuild an 86 Saab 900

Lakeland, FL

Comment

Ah, if I only had a job right now, that would be the perfect car to start my R3 Lark I want to build.

Former owner/owner with Dad:
              58 Packard Golden Hawk
              62 Hawk
              62 Lark
              63 Lark
              64 Lark
              63 Champ
              Currently I own:
              84 Mercedes 380SL
              92 Range Rover (for sale)
              99 BMW 323I
              and helping a 16 year old rebuild an 86 Saab 900

Lakeland, FL

Comment

He states that DAS can transport it from California to the east coast for $500-600. Somebody should take him up on that [:0]. My guess is that it would be about 3-4 times that.

It does look like a nice car, however.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

He states that DAS can transport it from California to the east coast for $500-600. Somebody should take him up on that [:0]. My guess is that it would be about 3-4 times that.

It does look like a nice car, however.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

I can bring a car coast to coast for a grand.

JDP/Maryland
                    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                    spent to date $54664,75
                    64 R2 GT (Sid)
                    spent to date $62,839.60
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    57 wagon
                    51 Commander
                    39 Coupe express
                    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I can bring a car coast to coast for a grand.

JDP/Maryland
                      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                      spent to date $54664,75
                      64 R2 GT (Sid)
                      spent to date $62,839.60
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      57 wagon
                      51 Commander
                      39 Coupe express
                      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I can deliver the car to the DAS shipping terminal here in Fresno, they can ship a car to the midwest or eastern states for very reasonable prices (about $500-$650). http://www.dasautoshippers.com/
                        Maybe they can I know of someone that shipped from here to Michigan for under $600.

Mabel 1949 Champion
                        1957 Silverhawk
                        1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                        Gus 1958 Transtar
                        1955 President State
                        Fresno,Ca
                        Mabel 1949 Champion
                        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                        Gus 1958 Transtar
                        The Prez 1955 President State
                        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                        Fresno,Ca

Comment

I can deliver the car to the DAS shipping terminal here in Fresno, they can ship a car to the midwest or eastern states for very reasonable prices (about $500-$650). http://www.dasautoshippers.com/
                          Maybe they can I know of someone that shipped from here to Michigan for under $600.

Mabel 1949 Champion
                          1957 Silverhawk
                          1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                          Gus 1958 Transtar
                          1955 President State
                          Fresno,Ca
                          Mabel 1949 Champion
                          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                          Gus 1958 Transtar
                          The Prez 1955 President State
                          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                          Fresno,Ca

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Just for comparison purposes, the Lark I bought from you almost exactly a year ago cost $1250 from WA to NY, door to door, by Peg's.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Just for comparison purposes, the Lark I bought from you almost exactly a year ago cost $1250 from WA to NY, door to door, by Peg's.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X