Why tinted vent windows only....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why tinted vent windows only....?

Why are the vent windows on my 64 GT Hawk tinted and the rest of the side glass non-tinted?...makes no sense to me (.....and no, I haven't been smoking anything! ).
    I have a GT Hawk driver's side rear window tinted glass available if one needs it.....don't ask my why...it's too embarrassing to tell....
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

SOMEONE replaced the Vent Glass some time in it's 52 Year lifetime!

Who knows, it could have been broken into, those are the most likely/easiest to get broken out, and if all that was available was tinted, someone COULD have replaced them both to match.

Tinted Glass was only available in ALL windows or Windshield only.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-08-2018, 01:04 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Both vent windows are tinted.....
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

My dad's '63 Avanti, sold new in Culver City, CA, was equipped from the factory with the option 26B - Tinted Glass Side Windows. Weird that neither the front or rear were also tinted...

Comment

Avantis are different than Hawks, they had a Tinted Side Glass Option AND a Tinted W/Sunband Front and Rear Option.

Most likely, the Dealer failed to Order the (Probably 26A) Front/Rear Option.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Most likely, the Dealer failed to Order the (Probably 26A) Front/Rear Option.
            Seemed strange to me. After telling a friend about it, he laughed and said maybe the original owner had a commute to work that was strictly north/south...who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
              Both vent windows are tinted.....
              Perhaps the glass started to delaminate or the frames were going bad and someone replaced both of them with what was available to him.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Check for the date codes on the glass. Replacements probably have incorrect or no date codes
                ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

Working...
                X