Once again, we teach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once again, we teach

I drove the Avanti today to a job site, and the builder walks up, really loving the car and talking about how he grew up with Hawks. I thought that was cool, until he asked if the Avanti had a 4 or a 6 cylinder <sigh> "No" I said, " it's a supercharged 289 V8". He was impressed when I opened the hood, and then it happened: "I didn't know Ford made a supercharged engine back then".
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Sheeesh! Will it ever end?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Best way to educate them is this: Ask them who had the 289 first - Ford or Studebaker? When they say Ford, tell them Studebaker came out with a 289 in 1956, and Ford didn't put one out until 1961. After they knit their brow in puzzlement, then shove in the knife with this.... Tell them Ford got their 289's from Studebaker. Stand back so you don't get any of their brain matter on your clothes....
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Funny how the Chevy 302 and the Ford 302 are never confused as one and the same. I'm the type that likes to ask people to actually think. This can be done with a question back to them.

Person: Oh, so Studebaker used Ford 289's.

Studebaker owner: Are the Chevy 302 and the Ford 302 the same engine?

Person: Ah..., No!

Studebaker owner: And neither are the Ford 289 and the Studebaker 289.

It often amazes me how assumptive some people's reasoning is. But, we should be gracious to a point because there are things I'm sure we are all naive about.
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I was once presented with the supposition that the R-3 304cid was a detuned Dodge 318...

Comment

In the Trans Am series the engines were held to a 305 maximum displacement. Chrysler only had the 273, 318, 340 and eventually a 360. Below is where the 304 (Chrysler engine) came from:

"Joel Miller at AAR handled engine building duties for the Cuda while Caldwell turned to Chrysler drag engine guru Keith Black. Black took the high performance four bolt 340 block , retained the 4.040″ bore and reduced the stroke to 2.960″, reducing displacement to 303.8 cubic inches. Power was in the 450 HP range."

But oddly enough it was a purpose built engine never manufactured by Chrysler in that size. So, yes, that person was really digging deep to come up with "that" 304. It must be Studebaker using the GM (McKinnon engines) in 65-66 that plants in their head that Studebaker didn't manufacture their own engines.
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

What gets me is when they mention a Chevy 383 or Small block Ford 460. Come on people! They're just stroked and or bored small blocks, it was different when the factory did it and called them something different like a 307 Chevy, or a 406 Mercury. That 383 Chevy small block thing really bugs me, they put them in everything and when they say 383 I think of the 383 Chrysler and 383 Mercury. Do you change the engine designation every time you over bore it at rebuild time?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                Best way to educate them is this: Ask them who had the 289 first - Ford or Studebaker? When they say Ford, tell them Studebaker came out with a 289 in 1956, and Ford didn't put one out until 1961. After they knit their brow in puzzlement, then shove in the knife with this.... Tell them Ford got their 289's from Studebaker. Stand back so you don't get any of their brain matter on your clothes....
                I had a guy insist that my 289 was built by Ford, and was in fact a Ford 289. Rather than argue with him, I told him he was correct, and that my engine was a very rare Ford 289 as it was the only 289 Ford engine ever built with the distributor in the back of the block.
                John

Comment

I think some of the misconception about Studebaker engines being built by others comes from the use of GM engines in 1965/66. This seems to have set the tone for other years.
                  Dan Peterson
                  Montpelier, VT
                  1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                  1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

And, hey, some joker put "Powerd by Ford" logos on my Sunbeam Tiger. I mean everyone knows the 289 was a Studebaker engine - R-I-G-H-T?

Comment

OK, so I park the 57 T-Bird, (modified with a 289 Hypo, 245 HP) next to the 1955 President with the original 289 and the 1966 Daytona with the original 283 McKinnin side by side and raise the hoods.
                      Let the fun begin.
                      Just wait until I get the 50 Champion 4 Dr transplanted onto the S10 chassis with the 4.3 V6 and put it next to the other 3 in the line up.
                      Why should anyone be confused?
                      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                      1950 Champion Convertible
                      1950 Champion 4Dr
                      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

And, hey, some joker put "Powerd by Ford" logos on my Sunbeam Tiger. I mean everyone knows the 289 was a Studebaker engine - R-I-G-H-T?
                        That would be great, wouldn't it? Put a South Bend 289 in a Tiger and really twist up some minds!
                        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

At least mine is a 259, just odd enough that folks just nod and say "cool".

Comment

I put
                            'Pratt & Whitney" logos on the Buick "nailhead" in my '52 Chev. Lottsa double-takes! - jim

Comment

Working...
                            X