Back working on them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back working on them

It's my vacation and I'm alternating working on my '51 Commander Starlight and the '57 Hawk. I got the ‘57 Silver Hawk running yesterday. I’m lucky that I didn’t freeze something and crack the block over winter. The rubber core plugs that I put in last year wiggled out over the winter and probably saved my cookies. Yes. I'm going to buy a PowerBall ticket. However the defroster core and the Climatizer valve have leaks. Today, I’m going to try to drive it and see if it moves. I'm cutting rust damage out of the '51, but not very aggressively in this heat.
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

I did more cutting of the rust out on the '51. I finally got the '57 to move under its own power for the first time in years. I had to put four quarts of Type F in it before it would budge. It looks like it may be a long shake down. I found a pinhole leak in the gas line. The generator doesn't charge. I found a couple of regulators in the parts stash that I bought last year. How do you tell if they're for 12 volts? The Delco has all three terminals in a row and even has "12VN" stamped on it.
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case

Comment

I swapped in a regulator this morning and the Hawk charges again. I'm glad that my hunch was right and I didn't had to do some serious trouble shooting. Or a 12si swap, which could also lead to trouble shooting. And I misplaced my stash of 10Ia diodes....

Comment

Sounds like you're having a blast!
        Mike Davis
        Regional Manager, North Carolina
        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Sometimes I wonder why I'm doing this. Sometimes I feel like I'm bringing an old friend baxck from near death. A lot of times I feel that I'm overcoming an idiot body man. Next up for the Hawk is to figure out the water leaks and why it's dribbling out transmission fluid. I'm hoping that the tranny is just puking out some air after sitting so long. It's done that before. Although it has an add-on tranny cooler and filler tube to also check first. I wouldn't put it past some 50-60 year old seals to be leaky.

Comment

A picture from a couple of weeks ago and a picture from last week.
            atompunk.jpgfrabricate.jpg

Comment

I wasn't too ambitious yesterday, but I got a little done. I fabricated a couple of minor body patches for the '51. I tripped over two more the I misplaced. I dropped the 57 pound vibrator radio out of the Hawk and took the leaku defroster out. I took another defroster out of a parts Hawk. I took both defrosters apart. I have one good core and no good motors between them. I also moved the car toter out of the weeds and over on a slab pulling it by hand in the heat.

Comment

Working...
              X