brake shoes for '62 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake shoes for '62 Hawk

Tried to purchase new front brake shoes but part # keeps bringing up shoes too small for my car. Drums are 10 7/8" across and shoes are 2 1/4" wide but 2" wide shoes only ones offered and don't fit drum. I would like also to replace wheel studs but looks like shoulder has to be cut off, can do that but what keeps new ones in tight, do they need to be crimped or something? Thanks for looking.

The parts houses are trying to sell you shoes for six cylinder cars.

Have you tried actual/official Studebaker parts vendors, rather than making yourself crazy with local parts stores that haven't seen a Studebaker since before they were born?

studebakervendors.com
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

To R&R the Drums from the Hubs you MUST use a Swage Cutting Tool to remove the Studs without damage to Hub and Drum and Swage New Studs into the Hub Drum Assy. with a Swagging tool.

These Studs CENTER the Hub to the Drum and on the Rears, to the Axle since the Center Hole is not used for that purpose.

NEW Finned 11" Hub and Drum Assy's ARE available Part #1557400, to save you the trouble IF you had a New or good used "Drum Only" to install.

Knowing this difficult to accomplish task in this Day & Age when no one remembers how, you may be better off replacing the Drums with Good Used or New.

New Front V8 Brake Shoes for 11 Inch Brakes on '54 to '66's are 1560103X1.

http://studebakervendors.com
      Last edited by StudeRich; 06-03-2018, 05:14 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Dave Thiebeault has the tools to remove and install new studs You will have to ship your parts to him. The work will be done properly. cheers jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Still trying to figure out what brake shoes I need and don't know how to measure for them. You are saying 11" brakes (what does this mean?), the shoes I have are about 15" long X 2 1/2" wide. Guessing the 11" referees to the distance across the honed surface on the hub the shoes press against...or not! Ordered new wheel studs but they will probably turn out to not be the Swage studs I need (not knowing what they actually look like) my afternoon project is going to be days or weeks to finish up and this is just the front, can't wait to see what problems in store back there.

Comment

My question is why do you feel the need to replace the studs? Now, in regards to the brake shoes, have you searched for a place in or near San Diego that will reline the shoes themselves? I personally have used shops in Long Beach & Riverside that do this. Ordering through a Studebaker vendor may only take a day or two longer & you will get what you need and you will get the expert advise on a project.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Studs need replaced because adapter for wire wheels worked loose and destroyed most of threads. looking into machine shop locally to change out studs today, good idea about having shoes relined.

Comment

So far, very good advice for your front brakes and having a local shop reline your shoes will allow you to ask for the better material that doesn't squeak.
                When you get to the rears, use a proper hub puller to get the drum and hub off the axle. It's sometimes a project that will test your patience. There's another recent thread that describes another Hawk that has had the hub stud holes machined and larger studs installed. The drums then were machined so that the larger studs would center the drum instead of having them swagged to the drum.
                If your rear drums are in good shape and the studs are not damaged, you may not have to worry about any of this other then using a proper hub puller.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Thanks, found local shop to reline shoes and he is going to remove one of studs to see if I purchased correct studs to swagger back on.

Comment

Originally posted by San Diego Ron View Post
                    Thanks, found local shop to reline shoes and he is going to remove one of studs to see if I purchased correct studs to swagger back on.
                    Isn't THAT what a Drunk does?
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

That will be me if I don't get this stuff straightened out. A Swage cutter to remove old Swaged stud and a Swagging tool to install new studs, and me in a drunken swagger after brake shop tells me drum is out of legal limits.

Comment

Your brake shop has done you a great big favor. You do not, repeat not, want to use worn out brake drums.
                        Do you have the shop and parts manual for your Hawk? If not it may be time to think about getting them.
                        Good luck and try to maintain a sense of humor.

Comment

Main reason for being a CASO, (Cheap A** Studebaker Owner) is to get parts as cheap as possible to offset your escalating liquor tab.
                          Originally posted by San Diego Ron View Post
                          That will be me if I don't get this stuff straightened out. A Swage cutter to remove old Swaged stud and a Swagging tool to install new studs, and me in a drunken swagger after brake shop tells me drum is out of legal limits.
                          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                          1950 Champion Convertible
                          1950 Champion 4Dr
                          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            Isn't THAT what a Drunk does?
                            I believe you're thinking stagger: to walk or move unsteadily, as if about to fall.

Swagger: to walk or behave in a very confident and typically arrogant or aggressive way.
                            sigpic

Comment

It looks like you did not get any answers to your question.
                              The front brake shoes are an industry standard #177.
                              The 1963/up shoes have holes to attach the self adjusters.
                              Below is an eBay link to ridiculous priced shoes but you get a look.
                              The non asbestos lining used on the shoes commonly sold by vendors is very hard
                              and need a lot of extra pressure to stop.If your have power brakes it maybe adequate but you would be better to have your shoes relined with old asbestos lining , sometimes available on eBay.
                              The asbestos lining is medium gray and the commonly used non asbestos lining is a light beige color.
                              https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Bendix-R1...paBQki&vxp=mtr

Here is what a swedge cutter looks like.
                              https://goodson.com/products/swedge-tools

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/swedge-cutting-tool

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/swaging.htm
                              Last edited by rkapteyn; 06-05-2018, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X