Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for NOS or very good condition Stewart Warner Temperature Gauge for 57 GH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for NOS or very good condition Stewart Warner Temperature Gauge for 57 GH

Hello together,

I am looking for a NOS or very good condition Stewart Warner Temperature Gauge for my 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk.

part number according to the book is 1539879.

Click image for larger version

Name:	temperature gauge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1757910

Really appreciate any leads in finding a working one.

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Rudy
    sigpic

I found this with a: "Studebaker 1539879" Google Search!
    Also a lot of "Sold" listings on eBay and Stude. Websites.

http://mystudebaker.com/electric/studebaker-gauges/
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I'll look at my stash, I may have one but no glass. I know I had it in hand when gathering Dads GH parts, but may have not kept it as mine works fine..
      sigpic1957 Goldenhawk

Keeping the passion alive

Comment

Since the CORES are worth $75.00, and rebuilt $175.00 PLUS Core, that may help someone!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          I found this with a: "Studebaker 1539879" Google Search!
          Also a lot of "Sold" listings on eBay and Stude. Websites.

http://mystudebaker.com/electric/studebaker-gauges/
          Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Since the CORES are worth $75.00, and rebuilt $175.00 PLUS Core, that may help someone!
          Rich, the ones we have are NOS. The core charge is in hopes of having used ones rebuilt when the NOS ones are sold out.

Comment

First of all , are you sure your gauge is bad.
            It could be the sender or a ground problem.
            Sometimes mechanics use teflon thread tape and the temperature senders not properly grounded.The senders themselves are also subject to failure.
            I also found one car that had the wrong sender installed.
            Before you spend $175.00 check out the whole system.
            Robert Kapteyn
            Last edited by rkapteyn; 05-23-2018, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Hello all

Thank you very much for your help. I already replaced temperature sending unit and it did not work.

Best regards

Rudy
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                Rich, the ones we have are NOS. The core charge is in hopes of having used ones rebuilt when the NOS ones are sold out.
                Hello Matthew, I sent you a PM. Thank you. Rudy
                sigpic

Comment

Hello together,

Today I installed a NOS temperature gauge. Unfortunately it also doesn't work as it should. As soon as I turn the ignition switch to the first position, after about 3 seconds, the gauge's needle starts to move to the right (slowly, but steady), until it reaches over 240°F. And there it stays forever. When I shut the car off (ignition switch tilted, no current), then after a while the needle does move back to the left side, until it reaches 100°F.

It doesn't show the correct temperature of the coolant. My engine was still cold, when it showed this behaviour.

I also checked the temperature sender, which seems to be the 1957 style. I have also a NOS 1957 temperature sending unit, but I couldn't manage to remove the old temperature sender, seems to be rusted-in. I also unplugged the wire and plugged it in again. It doesn't solve the problem.

But before I remove the temperature sender (which is very hard to remove, cause it is rusted-in), I would like to rule out other causes of this problem.

This even happens, when I remove the wire that attaches on the back of the temperature gauge..

Does somebody have an idea what causes the needle to move to the far right, just after turning the ignition on (this starts after 3 seconds to move to the far right position of the temperature gauge).

Thank you very much for any ideas.

Best regards

Rudy
                  sigpic

Comment

https://redlinegaugeworks.com/

You can try these folks. They’ve done work for me in the past. They’re working in my gauges from a 63 Hawk. Shannon is the guy I work with.

Comment

Working...
                    X