No announcement yet.

Brand new powder coated rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. I ordered a set of what I assume are these wheels from Dave T last week for a 64 R1 GT Hawk.

Are the Cooper tires the “Trendsetter”? Is that a quality tire? The price is really attractive on those— almost too low and makes me wonder

I was looking at Diamondback and some stuff Coker has.

Finally, Dave said I could use the existing lugs but I’ve read here that ford wheels (like these) should use Ford nuts. Thoughts.

thanks a million!
    1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
    1970 Jaguar E-Type 2+2
    2003 Ferrari 575 Maranello (3 Pedal)
    2007 Jaguar XK Convertible
    2011 Jaguar XJL 5.0 SC

Comment

The Cooper Trendsetter's are Great USA Quality Tires from the ONLY USA owned Tire Corp.
      The price difference IS: you are not paying for limited Production, reproduction Original Design name brand "Classic" Tires.

Diamondbacks are the New Modern Blackwall Tires with an overlaid Wide White Wall bonded on, that I have heard are the ones that will not stay White, also some Coker's.

But Wide Whites will look VERY out of place, and Ugly on '63 or Newer Studes.

When Dave said existing "Lugs" I think those would be the Studs, not the Nuts, they are called "Lug Nuts".

Click image for larger version  Name:	64 R2 Jet Green2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.0 KB ID:	1812743 Here is what a Correct '64 GT SHOULD look like with Tusk Ivory/Almond (off-White) Wheels and Correct Narrow White Wall Tires.

By the way, it Sold 11 years ago, after between 70 & $80,000.00 was "Invested" by people who were NOT DIY'ers!
      Last edited by StudeRich; 12-04-2019, 08:03 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I had a set of Lincoln Town Car wheels on my old T-Cab and they worked well. Had I finished the refurb of that truck, I also acquired a set of Lincoln turbine wheels but never got around to changing the brake drums to Chevy so that the LTC wheels could be accommodated. Still have them somewhere...

Comment

StudeRich, my 64 SuperHawk or full package R1 has the Cooper white wall P215X70R15. As shared previously, on this car and my 64 Avanti R2 the dealer replaced 5 tires;spare, on both cars TWICE because the white wall looked like dirty brown ylllw stained teeth. Could not clean them with numerous products and also busy detail shop could not do anything either after a 20minute scrub. The 64 R1 Hawk is VIN#64V-17743 , engine JTM 308 #38 High Performance Package R1

Comment

Hmm, must be the Air Pollution there, we don't have that problem here!

You know, in Big Cities there IS enough Smog to damage rubber.

How old are the Tires? Maybe the Tires have been improved lately.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

All 3 of my Studebaker's have P215X70R15 . Of course, they are on the powder coated rims that I ordered from Dave T. who gets them from a company in California.

All of my cars StudeRich have orignal Studebaker motors. 64 Avanti R2, 63 GT Hawk and of my latest 64 Hawk R1 full performance package.
              I had not had my speedometers recalibrated for the larger than stock tires. I know above 40-45mph I am actually driving 5mph under what the speedo shows

Comment

StudeRich, its very very easy to invest north of $50k on any restoration when you consider all the work involved.

Comment

Looks like I’ll be looking into Cooper tires. Anyone have a link for the best lugnuts and metal valves for these wheels?
                  1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
                  1970 Jaguar E-Type 2+2
                  2003 Ferrari 575 Maranello (3 Pedal)
                  2007 Jaguar XK Convertible
                  2011 Jaguar XJL 5.0 SC

Comment

Originally posted by mch View Post
                    I had not had my speedometers recalibrated for the larger than stock tires. I know above 40-45mph I am actually driving 5mph under what the speedo shows
                    You might want to rethink that statement.
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

The Diamondback wide whites shown here on my Silver Hawk (photo taken in Oct 2019) are 6 years old. I have had good luck with them, and the whitewall has not yellowed or blistered or cracked.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Car & Truck.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	1813073

Comment

Originally posted by dsd View Post
                        Looks like I’ll be looking into Cooper tires. Anyone have a link for the best lugnuts and metal valves for these wheels?
                        The best lug nuts for Ford wheels might be the Ford lug nuts that NAPA sells (don't know P/N), which are necked down to use a 3/4 inch socket (or the factory lug wrench). This "neck" prevents the socket from damaging your wheel's paint. Y'all have probably all learned that "tire busters" haven't a clue that the paint on your wheels matters. These aren't particularly cheap (~$20-25/set), but have the correct (larger) seat for Ford wheels.
                        -Dwight

Comment

The Cooper Trendsetter, whitewall tires are good tires, but getting hard to find here in KY; for size, I prefer 205/75 R15. The matching lug nuts are available at Walmart. Best way to stop hubcap walk is to install steel valve stems, available at most FLAPS for less than $5 each. Here is a link to the 6" Summit wheels, which I have put on several Hawks during the past 10-15 years. They have the correct 3.75" backspacing, which is important : Wheel Vintiques 62-5612334 - Wheel Vintiques 62 Series Ford-Chevy Style O.E. Primered Wheels

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            Hmm, must be the Air Pollution there, we don't have that problem here!

You know, in Big Cities there IS enough Smog to damage rubber.

How old are the Tires? Maybe the Tires have been improved lately.
                            Rich, there is no pollution in Rumson, NJ. It is in the Boonies compared to any big metropolitan city.

Comment

The Champ wheels are 15x5x5.
                              Steve

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

53 Commander Hardtop, A/T, P/S
                              55 Commander Conestoga
                              60 Lark Regal Convertible, A/T
                              59 Lark 4 Door Parts Car
                              62 Champ 7E7, A/T
                              49 2R15 Stakebed

Comment

Working...
                              X