In Case You Can't Afford a Caribbean.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    Not that I'm aware of as to a late introduction, Gary. All the literature I've ever seen on 1955 Packards has the Constellation hardtop at the top of the Clipper Custom line from Day 1. BP
    ALL '55 Packards were 'late' from what I've read. Weren't there huge problems getting the '55 model year into production in time for the fall selling season?

Craig

Comment

When we owned our 1955 400, (identical to r1larks black and white 400) I would take it to school. After school we would all meet in our town square, park our cars and play the radio and hang out. The girls would love to sit on the rear bumper with their backs resting on the trunk lid.
      I would count to I think it was seven and there would be a click and the electric motor would engage and the car would start to level out. The girls would always let out a startled Yelp and jump up! Some times I would quick hit the override switch under the dash and leave the back of the car up in the air.
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
        ALL '55 Packards were 'late' from what I've read. Weren't there huge problems getting the '55 model year into production in time for the fall selling season? Craig
        Absolutely, Craig; getting 1955 Packard production lines up and running was a monumental problem fraught with delays. However, Clipper Constellations weren't any better or worse off than the balance of the line.

As I've reported, my Dad didn't get his first 1955 Packard of any model until February 3, 1955...and how many 1955 other makes had been sold in the town in the interim?

(Further, to add insult to injury, Dad had been paying for his own ads in the local paper, encouraging potential customers to wait until they had a new Packard or Clipper or two with the fabulous Torsion-Level Ride.

So what did they do? The first car he received, a Clipper Super 4-door sedan, had conventional suspension! Torsion-Level Ride was optional at extra cost on 1955 Clipper Supers and Clipper DeLuxes
        .) BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

We bought our 1955 400 in late June. Always remember that as car wore a number 7 on the inspection sticker. NJ would allow two weeks to obtain a state inspection.
          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
          X