Recycled a TV and found a car part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thom View Post
    I would be surprised if that is metal that can be welded.
    Who needs welding when you have pop rivets and fiberglass?
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

The edges that are turned over at the corners are factory welded, so my guess is that it's weldable. This is just mild steel, not some magical alien space alloy from Area 51 or Rozewell. It was a SAMSUNG made in Mexico, nuff said.
      There's very few metals that are not able to be welded easily with the right rod/wire and gas. Even if it were a problem, you could use panel adhesive.
      Just a note: I'm not promoting the use of TV parts to fix your cars. Just pointing out something that is similar enough to floor pans that a CASO with a little imagination could spend an afternoon and modifying for use.
      Now, back to your regularly scheduled channel.
      Originally posted by thom View Post
      I would be surprised if that is metal that can be welded.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
        So, here's the story. Daughter moving out of state has a non-op 65" LCD TV she needs disposed of. Dad says no problem, will drop it of at a recycle center.
        Well, as it seems, big TV's are not wanted at most recycle centers but Best Buy will recycle it for a $25 fee.
        Can you say CASO?
        Decided to do my own recycle and ripped the dang thing apart. Glass screen folded up nicely into the trash container, while the plastics broke into smaller pieces and into the recycle containers.
        As I was getting down to the metal frame that supports all this plastic and glass, my wife walks out and comments that it looks just like the patch panels for the Studebaker floors I had bought recently.
        BOOM, a light bulb went off. It may not be the perfect configuration and the reinforcing ridges may not be in the perfect spots, but it will work in some areas that just need to cover a hole.
        So, instead of spending $25 and a road trip, I now have several hundred dollars worth of patch panel material to fix a few problem areas with.
        Plus, it gave me about a half hour of pleasure just ripping something apart with no intention or desire of ever trying to put it back together again.
        Wonderful. cheers jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Back when computer cases were built like M1 tanks I would cut them into flat sheets and make repair panels for my cars.
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

One thing I don't use is plates from kitchen machines & such because they let go the paint easily & I think they're not coated/painted in a dry enough atmosphere, so the result will for sure be rustbubles later on, or maby rather soon enough.
            These things are for indoor use only & there it works.
            sigpic

Josephine
            Champion V8
            4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by oilnsteel View Post
              There were B batteries, Jerry. They were used to supply plate voltage for the vacuum tubes in old radios. Now you have more useless knowledge.
              That info fills a long held gap in my knowledge. Now, the other half of the gap is: Were there "A" batteries?
              -Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
                That info fills a long held gap in my knowledge. Now, the other half of the gap is: Were there "A" batteries?
                -Dwight
                Plenty around. "A" batteries usually have some sequence of numbers after the "A" and are used in cameras and security systems. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Energizer...&wl13=&veh=sem

Len

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
                  -Dwight
                  Yes there were. Most pre-war battery operated radios used both an 'A' battery and a 'B' battery: https://antiqueradio.org/bsupply.htm

Craig

Comment

Working...
                  X