Dual master cylinders and judging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual master cylinders and judging

I know there are some non-original things that do not get gigged when it comes to originality due to safety in both SDC and AACA judging. Would a dual master cylinder count against you when judged by the rules of either of these organizations?
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Joe, dual master cylinders are one of the exempt items to due to safety reasons for both the SDC and AACA. Hope that helps.
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
      Joe, dual master cylinders are one of the exempt items to due to safety reasons for both the SDC and AACA. Hope that helps.
      Thanks. That us exactly what I needed.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser

Comment

I believe the addition of seatbelts is also exempt from judging. Personally, I think a few other safety items (upgraded brakes, sealed beam headlights in cars that didn't come that way) should also be exempted to encourage owners to drive their cars. We are after all, the Studebaker DRIVERS Club).
        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
        '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

If you actually drive a car it will be a 2nd placer. There is no point in having a safety mod such as dual mc if you want a first place since you can't drive it anyway. Moot point!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
            If you actually drive a car it will be a 2nd placer. There is no point in having a safety mod such as dual mc if you want a first place since you can't drive it anyway. Moot point!
            I am not going to comment on how cars get judged, but I do know that cars that are driven have won first places. The idea that any car or truck shouldn't be as safe as possible just doesn't seem to be realistic.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
              The way Studebaker judges cars at international meets plenty of cars that are driven win first place trophies. I've driven my '57 Packard wagon to two internationals and won a first place at both.
              Chip
              '63 Cruiser
              '57 Packard wagon
              '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
                The way Studebaker judges cars at international meets plenty of cars that are driven win first place trophies. I've driven my '57 Packard wagon to two internationals and won a first place at both.
                I agree (in the way SDC judging is). I drove an Avanti 750 miles and received a First Place (only one or two points off the Best of Division Avanti that was brought in an enclosed trailer).
                Last edited by studegary; 05-13-2018, 04:34 PM. Reason: added the trailer part
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
                  ........After entering my '47 M5, and '57 GH in numerous Studebaker meets, just to be judged so that I could correct the problems that the judges had with the vehicles......I've come to the conclusion that there are two principles that the judges follow........Subjective judging and Objective judging.......So if you are having your vehicle judged for info on how to correct issues, and get them corrected for the next show........Ain't gonna get you a trophy...........

Comment

Originally posted by alaipairod View Post
                    ........After entering my '47 M5, and '57 GH in numerous Studebaker meets, just to be judged so that I could correct the problems that the judges had with the vehicles......I've come to the conclusion that there are two principles that the judges follow........Subjective judging and Objective judging.......So if you are having your vehicle judged for info on how to correct issues, and get them corrected for the next show........Ain't gonna get you a trophy...........
                    I have found that it is better to enlist someone that is knowledgeable/"expert" on the particular model in question and have them take their time and review the vehicle, not in a judging (usually rushed volunteers) situation. I have provided this service to many SDCers (on C/K models).
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      I have found that it is better to enlist someone that is knowledgeable/"expert" on the particular model in question and have them take their time and review the vehicle, not in a judging (usually rushed volunteers) situation. I have provided this service to many SDCers (on C/K models).
                      ...............With all due respect Gary, I've enlisted
                      knowledgeable/"expert"
                      Studebaker people to assess what my vehicles needs are to satisfy the judge's wants to not deduct 2 points for every perceived infraction by the "book".....I enjoy taking our vehicles to these shows, to be judged, just so I can bring them a little closer to the originals....But it never ceases to amuse me on how the judges use "Subjective and Objective" values in their judging.............

Comment

Originally posted by alaipairod View Post
                        That is not my experience I bought my 1963 Avanti R1 in 2012, drove it to the 2012 IM show and got a first. I was also wanting to be informed about issues to correct, did so and also got a first at the 2017 IM in South Bend and AOAI and higher points from both judging teams. So, in my experience - subjective and/or objective - the judging system works as intended.

Comment

If it's done for Safety reasons, I'd never take points for it.

Comment

Working...
                          X